Talk me out of a tikka

PNWGATOR

WKR
Pack a little extra weight and buy a Blaser and don’t look back.

There is ZERO reason for a man of your means to buy a Tikka vs a Blaser.

Maverick1

WKR
Looking to pick up a tikka t3x lite in 6.5 creedmoor. The 6.5 is set in stone, but talk me out of the tikka and into another gun. I want something fairly light ideally under 7#s. Will mainly be fire target shooting, out to 1000 yards, but that will be infrequent. Will occasionally hunt whitetail and whenever I decide to go after mulies and antelope. Most likely will be topped with a credo. Budget is under $1k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha. That’s a good one.

I’ll share a little perspective: I own four Tikka rifles; they are the only rifles I own. I purchased the first one about 24 years ago and the others along the way as I wanted a couple of different calibers. All four are simple, accurate, and reliable.

I don’t shoot rifles very often and am very basic in my approach, primarily just sight them in and go hunting. (I’m almost exclusively a bow hunter, so that’s my main passion/obsession). I have shot a few other people’s rifles at the range over the years, but not excessively so.

When I read about how many problems other guys have with their rifles (sighting in, accuracy, jams, reliability) - it simply does not register with me. I have no idea what they are talking about! Many of these fine gentleman are FAR more advanced in their knowledge and experience with rifles, ammunition, ballistics, scopes, dialing, etc. If a relative novice like myself has little to no trouble shooting a Tikka consistently, that says something. But, it’s your time and money. If you want to go out and spend a bunch on something else, go right ahead.

crich

WKR
Tikkas are like a popular restaurant. The food is usually always good and the price is reasonable but not the lowest. You can make a reservation at a fancy anniversary type joint and pay twice as much for an amazing meal but it will no doubt be half the portion size and youll walk away hungry, much poorer and wondering if it was worth it.

I order the same plate avery time we go out to eat... because I know its solid. Every time I try something new Im dissapointed. Buy a tikka for its lame stock but buttery reliable action and repeatable accuracy and be done with it. 👍

Last edited:

SloppyJ

WKR
I drank the Koolaid too if it makes you feel better. I wanted to build a short action 6creed to match my 300prc that I built off a zermatt. However, after seeing the results of a T3x lite 243 chambered to 243ai and chopped to 18" that I can build out for half the price with a rokstock, I can't force myself to spend the extra money which normally isn't an issue that I run into. Hell, I might splurge and let UM mill it out and nitride it.

I want to see what all of the fuss is about and wouldn't mind having something that's "boringly accuracte". Do it!

Last edited:
You could always get a gen 1 Ruger American for cheap. You might have to send it back to Ruger once or twice, but when you get it working it'll get a lot done for you. I have both rifles - my Tikka is better, but I can carry the Ruger with confidence. Not saying a Ruger is my recommendation, but it is an option...

Qholum37

Lil-Rokslider
Tikkas are like a popular restaurant. The food is usually always good and the price is reasonable but not the lowest. You can make a reservation at a fancy anniversary type joint and pay twice as much for an amazing meal but it will no doubt be half the portion size and youll walk away much poorer wondering if it was worth it.

I order the same plate avery time we go out to eat... because I know its solid. Every time I try something new Im dissapointed. Buy a tikka for its lame stock but buttery reliable action and repeatable accuracy and be done with it. 👍
I do the same thing! I order the same plates every time to avoid being disappointed and I have learned to do the same at gun shops - Get the Tikka, you won’t be disappointed!

crich

WKR
Tikkas have slower velocities

Most Tikka's aren't threaded.

Tikka safeties are only two position.

Tikkas don't have as much aftermarket support as some other brands.

If you want to be an individual on Rokslide, you can't buy a Tikka.
As a Tikka owner (before it was cool Ill add) I approve this message.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Looking to pick up a tikka t3x lite in 6.5 creedmoor. The 6.5 is set in stone, but talk me out of the tikka and into another gun. I want something fairly light ideally under 7#s. Will mainly be fire target shooting, out to 1000 yards, but that will be infrequent. Will occasionally hunt whitetail and whenever I decide to go after mulies and antelope. Most likely will be topped with a credo. Budget is under $1k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Get a Kimber, one of the fancy ones, it will be light, you will spend 3 times as much on the rifle, then spend another 1K on fixing the new rifle, then still not have a rifle as good as a Tikka, but it will be CRF and much prettier.

You can do the same thing with a Christensen. Or you can save money and by a Mossberg.

Tikkas are ugly as sin, especial with a SWFA sitting on them. Whatever you do, don't buy one. They work, to the point of being bloody boring, you will have no excuse to act like your rifle is a barbie and change everything but the action, which is really no fun at all.

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
Handle a t3x and a Browning x bolt before buying. IMO an x bolt is every bit as good as a T3x in factory form. Lot of people on here agree too. But on the other hand I like my T3x equally well. The only problem I have with my t3x is the action is so smooth that every time I don't believe it cycled a new shell. But every time I'm wrong.

Reactions: BCD

KenLee

WKR
Don't do it.
Safety location
Slow barrels
Long receiver for a short action cartridge.
Ugly as sin.
Crappy stock.
Heavy for what it is.

Reactions: BCD

11boo

WKR
You could always get a gen 1 Ruger American for cheap. You might have to send it back to Ruger once or twice, but when you get it working it'll get a lot done for you. I have both rifles - my Tikka is better, but I can carry the Ruger with confidence. Not saying a Ruger is my recommendation, but it is an option...
A Gen 1 is my only 6.5cm. It was under 400 bucks and shoots extremely well.