Talk me out of a straight spotting scope.

I have and use a Leupold straight spotter. I tried using the angled spotters, bothers my neck after 5-10 min.

UpTop

WKR
I drank the angled kool aid and regret it. Probably because I used a straight forever. I’ll be going back to straight next go around. I keep trying to like it but I hate the target acquisition. It is definitely slower and often times awkward for me.

JAC8504

Lil-Rokslider
Both. Angled for ridges/ step elevation- I can also turn the knob / rotate the spotter- it fits my face better.

Straight if angles aren’t sharp

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer straight and am saving for a Swaro STC now.

I typically do the majority of glassing from the seated position and really like the straight. Plus I find it a great way to stabilize my range finder by resting it on the spotter.

As mentioned above if most of your glassing is up hill you may prefer the angled. Also, I feel the angled is more popular for standing as you don't have to extend your tripod to its limits.

Also as stated above, I'm surprised at the number of people preferring straight. These threads are typically one sided for angled.

OP
Yaremkiv

Yaremkiv

Lil-Rokslider
Are you sure that the price difference isn't one has the eyepiece and one doesn't?
It has to be. But they used a picture of a complete scope and dont mention "body only" anywhere in the description....silly Optics Planet.

Screenshot_20240720_081129_Chrome.jpg

I prefer angled. I’ve had both and the angled is more comfortable for me. I’ve gotten it down where it doesn’t take any longer for me to go from binos to angled for target acquisition. I do get a lot of the pros for the straight though. I’m 6’5” so the angled is much easier for me to use angled while standing.

OP
Yaremkiv

Yaremkiv

Lil-Rokslider
Don't get one. Bending your neck by keeping your head upright while slouching will give you a headache.
Thats the only thing I'm worried about. My tripod does extend enough to allow me to stand fully upright but not if I'm on a slope looking down.

MattB

WKR
I have only owned straight, but if I hunted low and glassed high or did a lot of spotting out of a truck, I would definitely get an angled spotter. Did a mile deer hunt last year and got a clinic on how much better a rotatable angled spotter is for glassing with a truck/window mount.

pirogue

WKR
Well damn, I sure wasnt expecting this level of unanimity. Looks like the straight spotter is what I'm getting after all.
That’s because no one wants to be associated with out of shape road hunters and truck hunters. They never get away from their truck, therefore, they are always looking up on the mountain, so an angled fits them better.

AnthonyC

FNG
I prefer straight. Not only is it easier to relocate animals when switching from binos to spotter, but it requires little to no tripod adjustment when switching. It’s also more comfortable for my head & neck. That’s been my experience, but other guys love the angled spotters and have good setups to make the switch efficiently.

This is very helpful, I was going to look at switching to a curve, but looks like staying with the straight is the best way to go.