T.T.C Taxidermy Tropy Care

Daniel_M

WKR
Just wanted to throw up a blurb on TTC. I'll be right up front, I've never used it, seen it or been exposed to any hides that have been preserved using it.

This is informational.

TTC is a salt substitute. 5# is the equivalent of 25# of table salt.

Some info from the supplier:
Works better than salt alone
Sets hair faster
Kills bacteria
Treated hides are lighter and less messy
Treatment requires 20% of normal salt application
Works in all temperatures and moisture conditions
Great for pack in hunts
Directions: Simply sprinkle T.T.C. on flesh side, DO NOT leave any folds or edges without T.T.C., fold in half, flesh to flesh. Keep in a cool area.DO NOT LET HIDES OR CAPE DRY OUT without completely caping and fleshing (This means removing all fat, meat, turning ears, flattening lips and nose, etc.), by doing so it will become a difficult task for your taxidermist.Please Note: Heavy meat and fat will not allow T.T.C. to penetrate the hide as needed.
Unless freezing, do not place hide in a plastic or air tight container. Doing so promotes spoilage and damage to your hide.

The feedback from a taxidermists perspective is that a hide preserved in T.T.C is a bit tougher to work on initially and requires some re-hydration.

Supplier Link...

Last edited:
Hey Daniel,
I have posted questioning this product on the site twice and had no one that's used it (so far). I have a bottle of it right next to my chair as I type this.
I'm going to get it over to my taxi soon and he is going to run a "test" on a stock cape, hopefully soon.

OP
Daniel_M

Daniel_M

WKR
I know of a friend who ha used it consistently and had good results but he is also ( I believe) very good on the knife.

Prep is so critical prior to salt. Fleshing and turning is moot if a cape is covered in fat and meat.

CritterGetter

Lil-Rokslider
I've used it on a few critters so far. Never had any sort of issue with it. Dries out the hide about harder than woodpecker lips. It works fast too. Make sure ya let it hang or something so all the moisture doesn't collect in itself though.

I've done my full sheep in it, my buddy's sheep and my Muley. Fresh bottle is waitin to go for this year.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is good info critter getter. I take it your taxi had no complaints about it? Ill make a point to ask mine about it thanks

Well, A fresh bottle was just delivered to my Taxi and he already has a muley cape starting to thaw to try this stuff out. I will know what he thinks in a couple of days.

Hey Daniel,
I have posted questioning this product on the site twice and had no one that's used it (so far). I have a bottle of it right next to my chair as I type this.
I'm going to get it over to my taxi soon and he is going to run a "test" on a stock cape, hopefully soon.

From what I have heard it is just salt mixed with citric acid..... Can you confirm?

Bucklucky

FNG
Ok so I am the Taxidermist that Actionshooter is referring to, got done this morning hand fleshing a deer cape, more les as I would an in the field prep of a cape in the back country with a scalpel, turned the lips, ears , eye lids etc. Took me an hour to get it all done . I used that TTC stuff wich has a funky stink smell to it, not sure whats in it but I was impressed as to how fast it worked and drew the moisture out of the cape . Im pretty sure the stuff will work well. I used a bit more than was actually needed. I think one bottle will do 2 deer sized capes. I used about 2/3 of the bottle and rubbed it in real well and lightly sprinkled it over the entire cape and folded it up so any juice would flow out of the cape. 20 minutes later and I had a cup of juice out of the hide. It seemed to set the hair real well. Im impressed.

Ok so I am the Taxidermist that Actionshooter is referring to, got done this morning hand fleshing a deer cape, more les as I would an in the field prep of a cape in the back country with a scalpel, turned the lips, ears , eye lids etc. Took me an hour to get it all done . I used that TTC stuff wich has a funky stink smell to it, not sure whats in it but I was impressed as to how fast it worked and drew the moisture out of the cape . Im pretty sure the stuff will work well. I used a bit more than was actually needed. I think one bottle will do 2 deer sized capes. I used about 2/3 of the bottle and rubbed it in real well and lightly sprinkled it over the entire cape and folded it up so any juice would flow out of the cape. 20 minutes later and I had a cup of juice out of the hide. It seemed to set the hair real well. Im impressed.

Cool, thanks Charlie

How do you feel about the amount needed of the TTC vs salt to get the job done??

Are you going to be tanning the hide in house? If so let us know if it affects the pH of the pickle at all...

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey guys, i've tested TTC in the field for 10 years now. First, the mixture is not salt mixed with citric acid. It's a variety of sodium compounds (carbonate, dioxide, and some sort of highly absorbent pearl crystals, etc). I've tested the pH of TTC and it is alkaline (low acid)...so no citric acid content.

I've used it on probably 4 griz hides, 2 wolf hides, 5 moose capes, and 6 or so caribou capes. The taxidermists up here in Alaska do not like it. The major complaints I've gotten feedback on are the areas around the face...namely the ears and lips. TTC dries the shiat out of flesh and makes the hide hard and non-pliable.

Does it work? You bet it works. Is non-iodized salt "better" for the actual tender care of your drying process? Yes, but not if weight savings is your goal. I've used it because I cannot usually afford taking in 20-lbs of salt. But my Taxi always shakes his head and says..." I might have to charge you extra for the time it takes to work this properly to prep for tanning."

One actual field mode test you guys should know about: After you use the TTC and roll it up inside a game bag, i've noticed that the crystals in the TTC mixture collect moisture and seep through your bags on the drip side. These crystals turn a bit slimy on the bottom side of the bag, but nothing that is problematic. However, the residue is loaded with sodium compounds and is corrosive to metals. It causes the aluminum stay pins on my external pack to oxidize, and pilots have mentioned the same thing about their aircraft parts that were contacted with fresh moisture from capes treated with TTC.

So, if you're gonna use it, try to allow all the moisture to initially draw and drain for 12-18 hours. After a day or two, your hide will begin to harden. Lastly, you might consider using TTC on the main body of the hide and reserving some regular salt (1-2 lbs max) for the intricacies of the face work you'll perform. Regular salt is best for these areas, and an extra pound or two is worth the result...after all the face is what most people enjoy about a good mount, so treat it as fresh artwork in the making once your bull is down and you whip out the utensils for field work.

holla with any additional questions.

larry, out

OP
Daniel_M

Daniel_M

WKR
Yep that's the only negative I've heard, taxi's hate it. It's like working on a piece from Africa. Stiff as hell and tough to work with.

Thanks Larry.

Bucklucky

FNG
Are you going to be tanning the hide in house? If so let us know if it affects the pH of the pickle at all...

So I will be rehydrating this cape myself so I can personally see how it rehydrates. Its completely dry now , hair set great, feels just like a salt dried cape. I did not flesh it as well as I would if I did it in my shop to keep it more like a back country prep job. I will keep you guys posted as I get to the rehydration bath and pickle.

Buster

WKR
Larry, great post. I like to keep my taxidermist happy, so good point regarding salting the face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Stid2677

WKR
I have used TTC for several years on weight restricted hunts. What I have come to do is fill a 20oz Gatorade bottle with 2/3 TTC and then top it off with plain salt on top making sure to tap the bottle to compact it. With the bottle packed tight the plain salt will mostly stay on top.

When ready to use I prep the cape making sure to turn the lips, eye, and ears and flesh well. I salt the face first so that the plain salt is used of the face and TTC on the rest of the hide. This seams to help keep the face from getting as hard.

I also use a product call " Stop Rot" about 6 to 8ozs will do a cape.