synthetic insulation

Strange question . . . i'm looking for a synthetic insulated vest whose shell is made of something fairly quiet and does not make the 'swoosh' sound when drawing a bow. Any ideas?

kodiakfly

WKR
I'm not a vest guy, but isn't the Sitka Kelvin vest made with a woven fabric instead of the "swoosh?"

jm1607

WKR
I don't think puffy vest and quiet go well together.. They'll all have some swoosh.. I may try a fleece vest next season

I have liked my Rocky "Mobility" something or other vest with Primaloft. Not a "high end" article, but it has worked/performed well for me - compresses down for packing, relatively quiet, has some okay wind breaking ability. The price was right, too (a discounted Sierra Trading Post purchase). It fills the vest niche nicely for me.

Amazon is still showing some, it looks like.

Good luck on your search for what you are after.

twall13

WKR
I have the rocky mobility light vest as well and I think it is a bit quieter than most others. If it has a DWR coating it doesn't work cause last time I had it in a light rain the material soaked up the water pretty good. I think that's partly why it is more quiet, the weave on the material isn't as tight. Not typically a big deal if you wear an outer layer over it but I don't airways do that. Also, after I wore a pack with it on, the Primaloft started to work it's way out in a few places. Not a big deal to me as I didn't pay much for it. It may fit your needs and it's certainly cheaper than most. There are certainly higher quality puffy vests out there but this is one of the quieter ones. Alternatively you can go with a fleece or wool vest but they will be a bit more bulky for the warmth they provide.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I don't think puffy vest and quiet go well together.. They'll all have some swoosh.. I may try a fleece vest next season

I actually like the Kryptek Kratos vest (actually my favorite thing I have used out of the Kryptek line). Its warm, but still has quite stretchable side panel to keep the arm swing "swoosh to a minimum". Much prefer it to the fleece vests I do have.

Lindley

FNG
Strange question . . . i'm looking for a synthetic insulated vest whose shell is made of something fairly quiet and does not make the 'swoosh' sound when drawing a bow. Any ideas?

Sitka Jetstream vest. They come in regular and "lite" versions. I bought both and returned the lighter one because it was so thin I didn't think I would wear it. The regular vest seems like just the right weight. It comes in four colors (1 camo and 3 solid). I picked up the moss and have no problem wearing it around town.

http://www.sitkagear.com/products/solids/jackets-vests/jetstream-vest

productImage219w592h592.png

charvey9

WKR
The new Sitka Celsius jacket and shacket is an extremely quiet puffy/insulating layer. It is in their whitetail line, and only comes in the Elevated II camo. The pieces are designed more for late season sits and a bit heavier than your average backpacking puffy, but I sure wish I had this jacket on my elk hunt this past September when the noise on my puffy cost me a shot opportunity. I really hope they come out with it in a vest and some solid colors next year.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I actually like the Kryptek Kratos vest (actually my favorite thing I have used out of the Kryptek line). Its warm, but still has quite stretchable side panel to keep the arm swing "swoosh to a minimum". Much prefer it to the fleece vests I do have.

Agreed. For quiet vest the Kratos Vest is my favorite. Super quiet very nice and water resistant with a Dwr finish. The Pockets on the Kratos are Huge also. I can load a crapload of stuff in them.

three5x5s

WKR
This may not be what you are looking for, but I love my Western Mountaineering Flash vest. It has no collar. it easy to get to many collars and they build up around your neck. it can be worn (depending on size) between base layer/ shirt. between shirt/ jacket or outside jacket. it stuffs down the size of a baseball. Its down so not to get wet. its quite and warm.

blakeb21

FNG
Well if your wanting warm and quiet on a budget a wool vest is a really good way to go. I love my thrift store Woolrich vest.

everestwc

FNG
Another happy Rocky 'Pro mobility' vest user. Got mine on Camofire a while back. I don't notice any excessive noise and it works well in mid season.