Switching to floorless.

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
I have had this Integral Designs Sil Shelter now for over 16 years. I've done several-hundred mile ultra-light hikes with it and many overnight or multi-day trips in Colorado on backpacking trips and alpine climbs. I just set it up in the yard this afternoon because it's going to start raining tonight and tomorrow and I want to see if it's still waterproof (haven't used it in a few years). I sealed the seams when I originally bought it and so far everything looks incredible.

I remember paying $75 for this thing and a tube of seam sealer from a local camping store that was blowing them out because nobody was buying them. Too bad Integral Designs isn't in business anymore. They really made great stuff and were a bit ahead of their time.

You just have to be a bit smarter about how you pitch a floorless shelter taking into consideration how/if water may flow into your shelter if there's a heavy down pour and mitigate condensation. Lots of people using tarps/tarp tents will stake them down flush to the ground and try to button them up super tight and then they complain about condensation. You can have the edges a couple inches up off the ground and still stay dry and also increase air flow which will dramatically reduce condensation. After a few times pitching it you'll get a feel for it and the best ways to pitch it.

The other added benefits to a tarp are they're super fast to take down in the morning, and if there's any ice built up on it you just shake it off. I'd always store my tarp in an external mesh pocket on my pack. That way any condensation would dry and it made it super easy to get the tarp out if I wanted to pitch it really quick mid-day and use as a sunshade during lunch or rest brakes. With this Integral Designs Sil Shelter you can pitch one side down as normal and use another trekking pole or a stick to prop up the opposite side and have an awesome sun shade.

jGNVM9U.jpg

Last edited:
I have yet to use a floor less tent just for the fact of living in north Florida and having to deal with bugs(yellow flies, horse flies, misquotes, and sand gnats). I am also worried about water intrusion too.

However, I have a Cimarron and stove spoken for from a fella on here. I hope I made the right call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk