Switching to Android from Iphone

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
So on the short and sweet what is gonna be a ok carrier as far as around the CO,ID and North West area OTHER than AT&T or Verizon?

I'm sorry but I'm paying a arm and a leg for AT&T and it was the same with Verizon. I can't wait for my contract to be up with AT&T. I mean let's face it, no carrier is perfect as far as coverage and I still have dropped calls and dead zones with both carriers before. Just looking for something that will let me get a call or text or pull up the weather every once in awhile when I'm on a peak hunting or something. I'm not picky and don't mind not having service every once in while. Heck we seemed to get by without it 15 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
T-Mobile then. They will roam on at&t and union wireless and viero wireless. Data won't be great but call and text works when roaming. What ever you do don't go for a prepaid like metro pcs, cricket, boost, virgin, etc, they won't get roaming.

dotman

WKR
So on the short and sweet what is gonna be a ok carrier as far as around the CO,ID and North West area OTHER than AT&T or Verizon?

I'm sorry but I'm paying a arm and a leg for AT&T and it was the same with Verizon. I can't wait for my contract to be up with AT&T. I mean let's face it, no carrier is perfect as far as coverage and I still have dropped calls and dead zones with both carriers before. Just looking for something that will let me get a call or text or pull up the weather every once in awhile when I'm on a peak hunting or something. I'm not picky and don't mind not having service every once in while. Heck we seemed to get by without it 15 years ago.

Sprint will be better then T-Mobile. If your not against prepaid checkout Tracphone but I think it can get speedy but not sure, they use both the Verizon and Sprint networks. I haven't had any trouble roaming in CO and it's free with Sprint.

Seriously that is about it for options unless you find a small local carrier using the Verizon network your options are limited.

dotman

WKR
Dotman has me considering Sprint

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I had service the entire time I hunted MT last year, in the Panhandle of ID I had service where AT&T didn't and in CO I have always found service in the mountains but started to use a delorme so really no longer care when hunting as that always has service.

Just last week I streamed Pandora from Chromo CO to Kansas City, only lost signal for 80 miles in far eastern CO and a little in far western KS, no mans land.

Last edited:
OP
S

SUMMIT75

WKR
Actually! I'm gonna give Sprint a shot, I totally forgot my buddy was just strolling around at 12750ft outside of westcliffe talking to his wife and I had jack squat for signal. He has sprint, I thinking he was the only one getting service up there, even a family member of his wasn't getting anything from his phone and he has Verizon.

dotman

WKR
I am in western WA. Verizon country

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Sprint will work fine there. You would think that would be Tmo country considering they are out of Seattle. Oh I also believe we have a 30 day policy, try it out and if you don't like it you can return the phon and cancel without penalty but I would verify if that is still going.

lchavez

Lil-Rokslider
From my past experience with Verizon, you cannot talk and text, browse, etc. at the same time. I missed this ability so much I went back to att. Verizon also lets callers know when you are on the phone with a beep at the end of the ring tone. This really bugged me.

Also, keep in mind each platform has its own system for music, books, photos, email and so on. I know there is a work around for everything, but it can be tedious for the average user when switching platforms.

Since you are considering android, check out Google Project Fi.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
Actually! I'm gonna give Sprint a shot, I totally forgot my buddy was just strolling around at 12750ft outside of westcliffe talking to his wife and I had jack squat for signal. He has sprint, I thinking he was the only one getting service up there, even a family member of his wasn't getting anything from his phone and he has Verizon.

If your still in a contract make sure you ask if we still cover up to $650 of cancelation fees from other carriers.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
From my past experience with Verizon, you cannot talk and text, browse, etc. at the same time. I missed this ability so much I went back to att. Verizon also lets callers know when you are on the phone with a beep at the end of the ring tone. This really bugged me.

Also, keep in mind each platform has its own system for music, books, photos, email and so on. I know there is a work around for everything, but it can be tedious for the average user when switching platforms.

Since you are considering android, check out Google Project Fi.
I do this all the time call and use data at same time. My job often puts in the middle of nowhere but 90% Verizon can get data connection. I hate paying my cell phone bill though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like T-Mobile is now just as expensive as verizon. Sprint was $10 less a month than att for 1 line. Other than prepaid sprint would be your best option.

OP
S

SUMMIT75

WKR
Yeah I went to T-Mobile and it was a kick in the nuts when they said how much it would be for two lines. I thought they were supposed to be cheap! Lol

The more I think about it, my best friend has had service everywhere we hunt and he is pretty happy with Sprint.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can't believe this went 6 pages on a hunting forum. Just shows what a great community we have. I wonder if there is a tech forum that has a 6 page debate over kifaru vs sc vs mr packs. 😃

HTC: Good hardware, they do way too much to the software (customization) so don't hold your breath that you will receive any software updates.

Both of my wife's HTC phones have had absolute garbage cameras in them, although the rest of the hardware is fine. My old Galaxy 2 takes better pictures than her current HTC. I'm going to get her to switch over to the Galaxy line next time she's due.

Both of my wife's HTC phones have had absolute garbage cameras in them, although the rest of the hardware is fine. My old Galaxy 2 takes better pictures than her current HTC. I'm going to get her to switch over to the Galaxy line next time she's due.
Yeah, Samsung, Apple and Sony have the best cameras if that's important to you. The latest generations for all manufacturers have gotten better at low light. Most are claiming f1.8 now.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Definitely go for the s7 over the s6, don't go for the lower cost s6. So many advantages to the s7

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Samsung has some of the strongest screens as well. Lg not so much. Obviously you go outside with your phone here is two reasons for the s7,. Water and dust resistance and the screen when in auto brightness will go into beast mode making it visible in bright direct sunlight.

KrUstil

FNG
I wouldn't recommend any other devices than the Nexus devices. Reason for that is that almost all companies bold on another layer onto android. That results in Talkback to not being able to read certain objects or in case of my girlfriend not even SMS. I personally had trouble with Android which frustrated me because I couldn't read most of the websites I consumed my news from. However it is worth trying out if somebody in your family or friends already have a Android device. In my opinion however Apple is far superior regarding stability, accessibility and security. Hope that helps a bit.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Only sms problem I had was using Imessage then going back to Android. Problem was I message uses your email to forward through a data connection (Wi-Fi) so you get text if no cell service. Easily fixed by logging into my apple account and turning off Imessage. There was a group message issue between the two but seems to be fixed now.

nflesher

Lil-Rokslider
I was an iPhone guy for a while with AT&T and switched to the android phone with Verizon. I switched back to the iPhone for a few reasons. My android froze so much it was next to useless. I may have had service in more places with Verizon, but I still couldn't get a call out or a text. Verizon would show two bars, but wouldn't call out or text. AT&T will call out if I have a bar. The Android just seemed cheesy to me sometimes and the most simple task required me to download a new app or select what app to use. I don't care, just open the attachment! My Android seemed to devour data with Verizon. I left AT&T with the iPhone and went to the Android with Verizon and instantly my wife and I were using twice the data as with AT&T. So much, that my first bill was around $800.00 if I remember correctly. Verizon's customer service was absolutely horrible IMO. I hated them so much, I switched back to AT&T and a iPhone 6. I like iMessage so that I can text over wifi, but android does offer apps that do this, but they assign you a different phone number and everyone I tried was just barely better than useless. I don't think anything is safe in cyber land anymore, but I feel Apple may be a bit more safe than android. To me the iPhone just works best for me and I have had better luck with them. I pay 245 a month for two phones and 15 GB. Total rip-off.