Switch from 5 pin?

OverInfinite

Lil-Rokslider
Just got back from a successful pronghorn archery hunt. Shooting a PSE Drive 3B XL, 60lbs, 28" Draw, Shooting a relatively light arrow, no crazy FOC. Last year I was unsuccessful based on lack of distance with a heavier arrow, insert and point with the same bow, my arch with a 5 pin sight could barely get 60 yards. This years setup I used my first pin for 30 and pushed the last pin to 70, and was making reliable shots out to 80 with slight hold over.
Success on my spot and stalk ended with a perfect shot at 78 yards. I am using a budget friendly CBE Tactic Micro and the 0.019" pins are tricky past 60, and there is close to 1/2" of room between the top of the fletching and the bottom of the housing.
my goal is to be able to practice 100. Mostly for fun, but also it would be nice to have a pin for 80 for comfortable hunting shots.
Big concern is that it seems like you can get a quality 5 pin fixed sight for low investment, but sliders price point seem to start way higher than what I was planning to spend on.
Also, has anyone regretted moving to a slider? or felt like it hindered them in hunting scenarios. I have never done a 3D shoot, but it is something my wife has wanted to do for a while, so it looks like we'll get into eventually.

Last edited:

WoodBow

WKR
Save up and buy an option archery canyon pounder. Best of both worlds. It does hurt that they cost what a new bow used to.

rclouse79

WKR
Gap shooting gets harder at longer distances, where being off by a couple yards makes a big change to your vertical impact. For pins I like the Spot Hogg triple stack. I am comfortable out to 45 using the pins and can then dial for longer shots. I am 31 inch draw at 70 lbs with a 530 gr arrow. I can get out to 90 if I dial and use my bottom pin.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I tried to use my 5 pin sight this year, but after just one time at the 3D range I had to switch back to my 7-pin sight. I wouldn't mind a slider for messing around, but for hunting I much prefer my fixed 7 pins.

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
I use the triple stack as well. Set my pins to 30, 40, and 50. Covers most of my hunting. Able to slide to cover 80. I'm sure you could get more with a lighter arrow.

Cubby

WKR
I went from a 5 pin MBG to a 3 pin slider MBG on my new bow and love the slider.

OP
O

OverInfinite

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys! I guess now i'll decide on 3 pin vs 5 pin slider. I dont think I could swing 7 pins. That sounds like a lot for me to keep track of.
what size pins are you using for the longer range?

I have a single pin slider with a 2nd fixed pin(and a third if you count the level). I have not hunted with it yet, but they have a 3 pin and 5 pin option for the scopes (axcel landslyde). Yes they are a bit pricier for sure but you get what you pay for in this instance. I switched out my axcel scope for an Ultraview UV3 and I can get 120 yards out of mine with the main pin and my bow isn't terribly fast at 275 fps. I use .010 pins.

Cubby

WKR
If it was me using a 3 pin slider the first 2 pins would be .019 and the slider pin would be .010 and all 3 pins different colors.

If it was me using a 3 pin slider the first 2 pins would be .019 and the slider pin would be .010 and all 3 pins different colors.

This is exactly how my pin sizing is.

Pins are 20, 30, and 50, with my bottom pin being a floater. If I need to shoot 40, I dial it up to there, and anything beyond 50 gets dialed. Switched to this years ago and love it.

SloppyJ

WKR
3 pin BG slider with .0010 pins. I love it. I won't go back to a fixed. I convert it to a single pin in the off season for the sight picture but I've been tempted to leave it in that configuration for hunting as well.

WCB

WKR
I've had a 5 pin fixed, 7 pin fixed and now have shot a 3 pin slider for about 10 years and love it.

3 pins gets me out to 50 yards dead on (hold over reliable to about 55). #1 pin 27yards #2 pin 40yards #3 pin 50yards. Then I adjust the slider beyond that.

If I were to build another sight top pin would be .019 for low light shooting especially out of a ground blind like I do in late season. bottom 2 pins .010. Currently all pins are .010 colored Green/Red/Green.

Tried a single pin and absolutely hate it and had multiple issues with deer spooking and running out to a different yardage and having to move the pin (or try to). IMO worthless for me in hunting situations.

Norm555

WKR
Sliders are more expensive but absolutely worth it for what you're trying to accomplish. You could find a decent deal in the classifieds if you're willing to go used.

SloppyJ

WKR
I've had a 5 pin fixed, 7 pin fixed and now have shot a 3 pin slider for about 10 years and love it.

3 pins gets me out to 50 yards dead on (hold over reliable to about 55). #1 pin 27yards #2 pin 40yards #3 pin 50yards. Then I adjust the slider beyond that.

If I were to build another sight top pin would be .019 for low light shooting especially out of a ground blind like I do in late season. bottom 2 pins .010. Currently all pins are .010 colored Green/Red/Green.

Tried a single pin and absolutely hate it and had multiple issues with deer spooking and running out to a different yardage and having to move the pin (or try to). IMO worthless for me in hunting situations.
There are options now for one single vertical pin with other pins on that same post that are adjustable. I like the thought of that but if you shot it, you would still cover up quite a bit of the animal IMO. Not sure how well it works in practice.

I use a three pin slider with none of the fancy micro adjust or whatever and seem to like it. Black gold mountain acent I believe. Easier price point, slider capability for long 3D shots, and three pins for nice clean view.