Swfa 3-15 is legit

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I finally went to my office and got my hands on my 3-15. I haven’t done anything other than look at it (I’ve not even held it to my eye yet), but I was struck by the simplicity (or basic nature) of the packaging. Just a plain box with a sticker and the scope wrapped in a bag. No swag, manual or anything else. I’m not complaining, as some of the BS that comes with products is annoying, and some other companies point you to their website for a manual. Just something I noted.

Can’t wait to mount it. Now to continue my debate of sending to Form for the drop test the Z5 I’m going to swap off my rifle in for this SWFA…..

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m so close to doing so, but I also am likely to sell it. Sending it exposes it to failure, and it will be in testing for some time. I’ve thought of asking those who stand by Swaro and/or who don’t believe in the validity of the tests to guarantee a floor purchase price, but unless it physically breaks, I guess I’m making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’m so close to doing so, but I also am likely to sell it. Sending it exposes it to failure, and it will be in testing for some time. I’ve thought of asking those who stand by Swaro and/or who don’t believe in the validity of the tests to guarantee a floor purchase price, but unless it physically breaks, I guess I’m making a mountain out of a mole hill.

It won’t be gone for long. While I haven’t done an eval for the forum (and we need one), I have used lots of Z3/5/6’s.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
It won’t be gone for long. While I haven’t done an eval for the forum (and we need one), I have used lots of Z3/56’s.
I don't mind it being gone for a while (to include the time in the truck etc.), as long as I either wait until after deer season is over, or I get my act together and mount another scope so I'm good to go in the interim.

Dobermann

WKR
I don't mind it being gone for a while (to include the time in the truck etc.), as long as I either wait until after deer season is over, or I get my act together and mount another scope so I'm good to go in the interim.
Form might have meant it won't be gone for long because ... it might fail fast. :)

BCD

WKR
Maybe it's my old eyes but I thought the reticle on the 3-15 was terrible at low magnification in low light-especially in the timber. Granted that's not really what this scope is made for but I got rid of mine due to the reticle being unusable (barely visible) in some situations. I thought it was a great scope for the range but not so much for the woods.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
For those who are doing so:
  1. what lens covers are you using on the 3-15?
  2. what zero stop did you use - just some plastic washers by trial and error?

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I got zero stop washers off of eBay, doesn’t look like he sells them on there anymore.
His email is [email protected]
Might be able to find him on snipershide still.
Thanks. That email still works. I emailed him Saturday and he replied Monday. The kits are $27.

I went to Ace today and confirmed that #16 Bath Diverter Washer fits (15/16" OD and 5/8" ID - per the manufacturer - and thickness of 0.08" or 2mm per my calipers), but I don't know how many, or some combination of it and another thinner washer, will be needed. If anyone is interested, I will report back when I eventually mount and zero the scope.

BjornF16

WKR
Thanks. That email still works. I emailed him Saturday and he replied Monday. The kits are $27.

I went to Ace today and confirmed that #16 Bath Diverter Washer fits (15/16" OD and 5/8" ID - per the manufacturer - and thickness of 0.08" or 2mm per my calipers), but I don't know how many, or some combination of it and another thinner washer, will be needed. If anyone is interested, I will report back when I eventually mount and zero the scope.
Yes please

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Yes please
I still haven't mounted the scope, but I went back to ACE and here's a brief update.
  1. I wanted the exact OD and ID but thinner. I struck out on the first two aspects. I got from a bin - without noting the # - 3/4" OD and 1/2" ID, and 0.05" or 1.4mm (my caliper measurements). This new little ring alone will work BUT I'm not sure i'm OK w/ just this ring, as due to the smaller OD, it sits down inside the turret. (If this isn't a problem, let me know.)
  2. The #16 ring will let you go past zero by 12 clicks.
  3. Two of the #16 rings will let you go past zero by 6 clicks.
More later. I want to see if I can repeat #2 and #3. And I want to see what happens if I sandwich the new little ring in between the two #16s, and what the results are with just the new little one and a #16. And I should probably go get another #16 and see 3 of them will be a "perfect" zero stop.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I still haven't mounted the scope, but I went back to ACE and here's a brief update.
  1. I wanted the exact OD and ID but thinner. I struck out on the first two aspects. I got from a bin - without noting the # - 3/4" OD and 1/2" ID, and 0.05" or 1.4mm (my caliper measurements). This new little ring alone will work BUT I'm not sure i'm OK w/ just this ring, as due to the smaller OD, it sits down inside the turret. (If this isn't a problem, let me know.)
  2. The #16 ring will let you go past zero by 12 clicks.
  3. Two of the #16 rings will let you go past zero by 6 clicks.
More later. I want to see if I can repeat #2 and #3. And I want to see what happens if I sandwich the new little ring in between the two #16s, and what the results are with just the new little one and a #16. And I should probably go get another #16 and see 3 of them will be a "perfect" zero stop.
I realized I was chasing perfection that isn't needed here, but FWIW:
  • Two #16 rings seem to pretty consistently leave you with 5, or 6, clicks below zero.
  • Sandwiching the "new little ring" between the two #16 rings let me go 1 click below zero.
  • There seems to be some play in these numbers.

Last edited:
I realized I was chasing perfection that isn't needed here, but FWIW:
  • Two #16 rings seems to pretty consistently leave you with 5, or 6, clicks below zero.
  • Sandwiching the "new little ring" between the two #16 rings let me go 1 click below zero.
  • There seems to be some play in these numbers.
Depending on your zero wouldn’t it be a good thing to go a couple clicks below?