Sweat!

smitho

FNG
So last year I started running and working out pretty regularly and I was pretty happy with the results. After having my weight top out at just shy of 260 in May I was able to get down to 235. I've never been the kind of guy that could run for miles on end but by hunting season I could definitely see the fruits of my labor. One thing that I hadn't planned on though was how much more I sweat when I am in better shape. Even on easier hikes, it seems like my body just opened the flood gates and before long my clothes would be soaked not to mention the associated aroma. Has anybody else noticed the increasein perspiration or is it just me. Howd does everybody deal with it?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hear you loud and clear and have to have extra water and an extra base layer at all times.......have to stay hydrated or can get ugly quick when it warms up.......

2rocky

WKR
I hear you. By the time I hit the second mile I am dripping. It presents some issues for instance, nipple chafing. Sweaty wet shirt + a little breeze and the high beams come on. 12 miles later OUCH! Body glide or bandaids...

What I really hate is the hat brim dripping. about 30% of those drips end up in my eye. So I have to turn the hat backwards and look like that Douche Woody Harrelson who still can't jump. I've started running without a hat and use sweat proof sunscreen on my chrome dome.

Compression shorts. If I didn't wear these I swear I'd burst into flames like a friction started tinder bundle on Dual Survival. Oh and wear Dark colored Blue or black shorts. When you sweat a lot it looks like you pissed yourself otherwise.

Don't use Fabric softener in the Technical fabrics. It screws up the wicking ability, and provides food for bacteria which really stink. Try Merino wool. Less odor for sure. .

Spare set of clothes. I always have a dry shirt to change into at the car. And a plastic grocery bag to put the sweaty clothes in . Sometimes when I know I'm going to be stop and go a lot, I will bring an extra layer in my pack.

Dude when you push yourself on a regular basis you are go ing to become a more profuse sweater.
Fitness Myth 2:
Excessive Sweating While Exercising Means You’re Not Fit
In fact, it's just the opposite. Sweating during exercise is a sign of an efficient cooler. An athlete who has adapted to keep the body core cool during exercise will shunt blood to the skin’s surface more quickly and release heat from the body. At the same time, the sweat glands increase their output and thus cool the body during sweat evaporation. While fit people produce more sweat than sedentary folks, they lose less sodium, because more of it is reabsorbed by the body. The result is a more efficient cooler.

hunthard

FNG
I am just the opposite. I'm in pretty good shape, I'm 5'9', 165# about 11% body fat and have never been a big sweater. I do very well in hot weather, have worked construction my whole life and when it gets hot and all the other guys on the crew (especially the sweaters) are droppin like flies I just keep going. They sometimes even get mad at me cause there drenched and I'm just starting to sweat.

Slim Jim

WKR
I'm a huge sweater and I hate it but those are just my genetics. My body tends to retain water which in turn is why I sweat so much. I have to drink a lot of fluids to stay hydrated or I start cramping up. My wife on the other hand is completely on the other end of the spectrum, she doesn't retain water at all. We will go to the gym and do a spin class and I come out sop and wet and she just has a little sweat line down the front of her top.

OP
smitho

smitho

FNG
Yeah I totally hear what youre saying about the chafing problems! That can make a trip miserable in a hurry. I guess i need to pick up some of that glide. Thanks for the tip on the merino wool.

G Posik

WKR
I am in pretty good shape and I will tell you I sweat like Sea Biscuit at the end of a long race. I really pay attention to hydration when in the mountains.

Glenn