Swazi “the hood” vs Sitka heavyweight hoody

alex_b11

FNG
Was wondering if Swazi’s hood would be comparable to the Sitka heavyweight hoody. Looking for a mid layer upgrade and am leaning towards the Swazi since it is way less expensive.

gumbl3

WKR
Not the same. The sitka is grid fleece, using trapped air to keep warm. Helps save bulk. Swazi is more like your every day polartec fleece pullover.

If you're trying to be $ conscious, and can live without a hood, take a look at the ecwcs level 2 tops

WoodBow

WKR
FWIW, the core heavyweight hoodie is an awesome piece. I wear mine all the dang time. I agree it is stupid expensive for what it is.

I'm also in for suggestions of something similar but cheaper. Especially if it is full zip. Anybody know why so much stuff is half zip? Do people just like having their shirt pulled over their head when they take their hoodie off?

Vandy321

WKR
If you want to actually be warm, get the Swazi.

The HW core is useless past Sept for me unless it's extremely cold and we're packing in/out

I'm not sickforit

I have 2 full zip fleeces and 4 half zip. The half zips get the nod 90% of the time. Different strokes I guess.

OP, make sure you’re considering shipping costs from Swazi if you aren’t in NZ. I love my hood, but it wasn’t a cheap option compared to any other high end hunting brand.

OP
alex_b11

alex_b11

FNG
Not the same. The sitka is grid fleece, using trapped air to keep warm. Helps save bulk. Swazi is more like your every day polartec fleece pullover.

If you're trying to be $ conscious, and can live without a hood, take a look at the ecwcs level 2 tops
I’ll definitely check out that ecwcs. Thanks for the info

Lawnboi

WKR
Correction, cheaper than Sitka.

I have both. If you want to buy a used heavyweight in subalpine medium let me know.

I’ll use the money for another fayettechill

OP
alex_b11

alex_b11

FNG
FWIW, the core heavyweight hoodie is an awesome piece. I wear mine all the dang time. I agree it is stupid expensive for what it is.
Correction, cheaper than Sitka.

I have both. If you want to buy a used heavyweight in subalpine medium let me know.

I’ll use the money for another fayettechill
Definitely interested in a used heavyweight hoody! Medium is my size

Oregonboy

WKR
Check out fayettechill polar grid options. Same price as Sitka. Made in the USA, and imo a better product.
these look pretty legit, do you have personal experience with them? do they fit true to sit or "athletic"?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Use the crap out of my Swazi the Hood. My observations after some heavy field use.

Pros:
.Zipper opens up really low and wide for cooling.
.I love how it's long in the back, so when you sit down on cold ground it's like an extra little cushion and keeps my Hank Hill ass warm.
.Dries out super quick for how warm it is.
.Hood maintains good peripheral vision which I'm super picky about.
.With a midweight merino base layer (I use Firstlite Kiln) it keeps me quite warm down to pretty cold morning/evening temps in mid/late Fall. Early Fall/Late Summer a lightweight base layer and the Swazi Hood to take any overnight/early morning chill off is perfect.
.Really good zippers that never snag.
.Quite durable for a fleece pull-over style coat, especially compared to "hunting" brand fleece coats.
.High collar is really nice for taking windchill off neck and colder temps but (see Cons).
.Great cuffs that don't get in the way of shooting weapons.
.I sleep most nights in it as I sleep cold out there, and it's super soft and comfy.
.Makes as a nice soft backcountry pillow or "pillow case" on blow up pillows on warm nights.

Cons:
.It does not pack down small at all so if you start packing hard and heavy and need to take it off, make sure you have a good spot for it at the top of the pack (won't stuff into add on pack pouches even Large ones).
.After heavy use it has lost a little bit of its "shape", going from slightly athletic baggy to a bit more baggy in the stomach/waist area mainly.
.A bit baggier and longer fitting garment.
.High neck leads to back of my neck sweating when hiking. Leads to me wanting to take it off sooner than I would with other "lighter weight" coats. You can roll it down after you unzip to vent but gets bunchy and weird feeling.
.Chest pocket is useless with bino harness.
.Would much rather see zipped hand warmer pockets.
.If you're between sizes on your puffy and want to layer The Hood under your puffy Size UP on your puffy. You will be WARM with a base layer/the hood/good quality puffy.

sneaky

"DADDY"

I'm also in for suggestions of something similar but cheaper. Especially if it is full zip. Anybody know why so much stuff is half zip? Do people just like having their shirt pulled over their head when they take their hoodie off?
In windy conditions it's a helluva lot easier pulling on a half zip than it is fighting with a full zip that's blowing all over the place. If that's not the kind of places you're in, then a full zip probably will work better for you. I'm not as much of a fan of full zips, when the zipper fails you're just stuck with a gap in front. A half zip mitigates this, and half zips are lighter.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
these look pretty legit, do you have personal experience with them? do they fit true to sit or "athletic"?
Iv got one of their zip t shirts. The fabric is damn near the same, maybe a hair thicker on the fayettechill. Fit is more true fit, which I like. I didn’t like how athletic Sitka made the heavyweight hoody.

I’ll be buying more fayettechill, I wonder how they make damn near the same exact thing as Sitka for less money, in the us

Attachments

• 4364B22C-13F3-4DE7-B86D-C8AF3E737AFE.jpeg
    4364B22C-13F3-4DE7-B86D-C8AF3E737AFE.jpeg
    259.9 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
OP
alex_b11

alex_b11

FNG
If your in the lower 48 it’s yours for a hundred bucks. It’s in great shape as I normally wear my traverse hoody.
Looks like you got yourself a deal. Cant PM yet because I just stopped being a rockslide lurker haha

Text me at 815 353 7662

slowelk

WKR
That fayettechill hoody looks alright, but i've had a similar top with that same scuba neck and i never found it comfortable or functional. the zipper makes sense for dumping heat and creating some form to the hood. I agree the sitka is overpriced.

Lawnboi

WKR
That fayettechill hoody looks alright, but i've had a similar top with that same scuba neck and i never found it comfortable or functional. the zipper makes sense for dumping heat and creating some form to the hood. I agree the sitka is overpriced.
I can’t decide if I want to try the full zip or the scuba hoody deal, wish they made a quarter zip