Swarovski to release 14x NL’s

Chad Dembinski

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
When I had my 12x42, I could comfortably and steadily handhold it, when paired with the Forehead rest. I have really steady hands.

I would be really curious to know about the handholdability of the 14x52, when used with the forehead rest.

Much appreciated if someone could provide feedback on this.
I was very surprised with the ability to handhold them for a higher magnification optic. I was hand holding them for a few minutes and didn't make me sick from the shaking lol.

The weight savings and ergonomics help and I think those with the forehead rest would be a great combo for someone that wants to carry them on their chest.

work765

WKR
Would any of you 14 owners have these as your primary optic? Or do you always need a lower magnification paired with the 14’s for the majority of hunts?

Last edited:
Would any of your 14 owners have these as your primary optic? Or do you always need a lower magnification paired with the 14’s for the majority of hunts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got mine today and will use them as my only binocular. I've been using 15s for a decade plus and it works for me and the way I hunt. It's likely not going to be the best choice for everyone though.

BFM

FNG
Would any of your 14 owners have these as your primary optic? Or do you always need a lower magnification paired with the 14’s for the majority of hunts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My plan is for these to be my primary tripod optic. Got 8x32 range binos for my chest. Don't plan to carry any other optics than those two, especially if my partner has a spotter.

huntnful

WKR
I just spent a decent amount of time outside hand holding them as well. Honestly, for a bigger country western hunter, I would not feel handicapped with having them as my only bino at all. Not terrible to hand hold for a quick glance will covering country, and then mostly using them off a tripod for the majority of the time.

The ergonomics of the NL’s and being able to wrap your hands all the way around the narrow part of the barrels, makes them more steady to hold IMO.

28bang

WKR
I just spent a decent amount of time outside hand holding them as well. Honestly, for a bigger country western hunter, I would not feel handicapped with having them as my only bino at all. Not terrible to hand hold for a quick glance will covering country, and then mostly using them off a tripod for the majority of the time.

The ergonomics of the NL’s and being able to wrap your hands all the way around the narrow part of the barrels, makes them more steady to hold IMO.
You thinking about the br4 and these now? 🤣

huntnful

WKR
My buddy and I just spent about 3 hours, all the way until pitch black behind the 12X42 NL’s and the 14X52 NL’s.
IMG_4792.jpeg

We both can say without a doubt that the 14’s have a better image and brightness, at all times of day and at all distances. We also spent a lot of time judging the differences in FOV between 500 and 3000 yards. If you are intentionally diverting your eyes to look all around the edge of the 12’s, and can see further out. But if you are looking in the center of the image, and just paying attention to what is in your peripheral view, it is VERY hard to distinguish the difference in FOV. 14’s are a win for sure.

Also, this RRS Ascend tripod is absolutely unbelievable for the weight. It is 1/2 pound heavier than the Sirui ST 124, and the stability isn’t even comparable. It is an unreal tripod.

IMG_4793.jpeg

huntnful

WKR
I've spoken to him a few times and I think he sees a distinct advantage to RF binoculars and alpha glass on a tripod, gotta go with what works for each individual.
Yeah I think it can POTENTIALLY be an advantage in a certain hunting scenario, eventually. I have not, not killed an animal because of my BR4. But I’ve had to range a few bushes and trees at longer ranges that were next to the animal, because I couldn’t actually see it in the BR4 just because of the terrain/distance/and glass clarity of a handheld.

Also, this RRS Ascend tripod is absolutely unbelievable for the weight. It is 1/2 pound heavier than the Sirui ST 124, and the stability isn’t even comparable. It is an unreal tripod.
Agree 100% The Ascend 14L is incredible. I have a similar setup…NL 12’s and just got shipping notification for the NL 14’s.

Having used the OD Panning Head, which is a great head, for lighter weight applications. I’ve now moved onto a heavier head, that pairs well with the Ascend tripod. Specifically, the panning head from Epic Outdoors. It’s similar to the Sirui VA-5. With some great improvements (Arca clamp with a larger adjustment range, better return to zero springs, shorter handle, better indexable control knobs, etc). Something to consider for using bigger glass (ATX/BTX 95mm, twin spotters, etc).

I still like and use the OD Panning Head. But, mostly for lightweight applications….paired with a Slik 634 tripod, NL 12’s and an STC spotting scope.

huntnful

WKR
Agree 100% The Ascend 14L is incredible. I have a similar setup…NL 12’s and just got shipping notification for the NL 14’s.

Having used the OD Panning Head, which is a great head, for lighter weight applications. I’ve now moved onto a heavier head, that pairs well with the Ascend tripod. Specifically, the panning head from Epic Outdoors. It’s similar to the Sirui VA-5. With some great improvements (Arca clamp with a larger adjustment range, better return to zero springs, shorter handle, better indexable control knobs, etc). Something to consider for using bigger glass (ATX/BTX 95mm, twin spotters, etc).

I still like and use the OD Panning Head. But, mostly for lightweight applications….paired with a Slik 634 tripod, NL 12’s and an STC spotting scope.
Totally agree. If you’re doing lots of glassing with big optics, a more fluid head style is the way to go. I mostly just glass with binos, and then swap to a spotter to get a better look