Swarovski el 10x42

tadace

FNG
I have been mulling over buying the Swarovski el vs nl pure. I just noticed the el's just jumped $200 in price. Wtf.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

IdahoBeav

WKR
Is this in addition to the general Swaro price jump that recently happened?

Swaro has a price increase pretty much every year, all of their models went up not just the EL’s.

The NL’s are 100% worth the extra $$ though. Ergonomics, FOV, can install a bino stud at home vs sending them in, 6 position eye cups vs 3, diopter focus lever instead of having to unlock the focus knob and pulling it out to adjust diopter.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
^^^ agree. I want from 10 EL to 12 NL and was not expecting much improvement. I was pleasantly surprised that there was an improvement in just about every way visible. Same field of view but sharper and felt way better in my hands. My ELs felt like a brick compared to the NLs.

Marshfly

WKR
I would hold and spend time with them both before deciding. My hands can not hold the thin barrels of the NLs as steady as I can the ELs. I also much prefer the EL diopter. I like that it essentially locks. Lastly, I just don't see 50% worth of improvement to justify the price.

I would hold and spend time with them both before deciding. My hands can not hold the thin barrels of the NLs as steady as I can the ELs. I also much prefer the EL diopter. I like that it essentially locks. Lastly, I just don't see 50% worth of improvement to justify the price.

I first played with 8x42 and 10x42 NL’s in sportsman’s for 5-10 mins total and felt the exact same way about the barrels in my hands, they felt small and thin.

Then I found a store a few weeks later that had NL 12x42’s and let me take them outside for about a half hour and it changed my mind completely. I ordered some the next day and now my EL 8.5x42’s feel like they weren’t made for human hands when I use them.

Marshfly

WKR
I first played with 8x42 and 10x42 NL’s in sportsman’s for 5-10 mins total and felt the exact same way about the barrels in my hands, they felt small and thin.

Then I found a store a few weeks later that had NL 12x42’s and let me take them outside for about a half hour and it changed my mind completely. I ordered some the next day and now my EL 8.5x42’s feel like they weren’t made for human hands when I use them.

I’m actually in the market for a set before spring bear. I probably need to just buy both and play with them for a week then send one back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
I just got a new pair of NLs. Previous pair is a 8.5x42 El. I love the EL, I could not imagine binos being better. Just spent about 15 min side by side at dusk. There is absolutely no comparison. NL is worth every penny if you can afford them.

Marshfly

WKR
I spent about 45 minutes comparing 10x42 ELs and 12x42 NLs outside today. We have a ton of mountainsides here from one to five miles to glass from town. I can get the ELs for $1900 and the NLs for $3200. Admittedly this will be my first pair of alpha glass binos. I just didn’t see a significant difference. Much less a difference justifying a 70% price increase. Respectfully (and certainly controversially) I think there may be a significant amount of confirmation bias going into a lot of observations.

The ELs are the ones for me hands down.

Marshfly

WKR
I spent about 45 minutes comparing 10x42 ELs and 12x42 NLs outside today. We have a ton of mountainsides here from one to five miles to glass from town. I can get the ELs for $1900 and the NLs for $3200. Admittedly this will be my first pair of alpha glass binos. I just didn’t see a significant difference. Much less a difference justifying a 70% price increase. Respectfully (and certainly controversially) I think there may be a significant amount of confirmation bias going into a lot of observations.

The ELs are the ones for me hands down.

So absolutely put eyes on both outside before putting down your money.

So absolutely put eyes on both outside before putting down your money.

So I bought a pair of 42mm NL’s about two months ago from a reputable online dealer and paid about $500 less than the price you stated.

Unless absolutely sold on Swarovski another fine option to consider is the Zeiss Victory SF. They are priced about mid-way between the ELs and NLs. IMO&E (after spending a good bit of time with all three) I find them preferable to the ELs.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Unless absolutely sold on Swarovski another fine option to consider is the Zeiss Victory SF. They are priced about mid-way between the ELs and NLs. IMO&E (after spending a good bit of time with all three) I find them preferable to the ELs.

Agree with this 100%. These and Leica Noctavids I spent a ton of time with when they first appeared in the US are as good of better than ELs; it is all splitting subjective hairs when you get to that level. All are more than anyone could ask for in a binocular. Best to try them all before you buy…or be happy with any of them as there is no wrong choice there.

I picked up a pair of unused EL’s on a local classified market for $1900. I was contemplating about saving more and getting NL but I just couldnt bring myself to do it after looking through them side by side and seeing the price difference. Yes the NL have some advantages but you’re paying way more for just a little better performance, the EL are still top of the line glass.
This video helped me make my decision as well hope this helps.

Last edited:

Marshfly

WKR
I picked up a pair of unused EL’s on a local classified market for $1900. I was contemplating about saving more and getting NL but I just couldnt bring myself to do it after looking through them side by side and seeing the price difference. Yes the NL have some advantages but you’re paying way more for just a little better performance, the EL are still top of the line glass.
This video helped me make my decision as well hope this helps.

Same thing I saw. Not worth another $1k plus for the slight difference. I'm crazy happy with my ELs. Now to start the search for a set of Kowa 553s to go along side them.

Marshfly

WKR
I think if you've had ELs for a while and just have the itch to upgrade, do it. If this is your first set of Alpha glass, I don't think there's enough difference to matter.

MattB

WKR
I have had the EL's for a longtime and have played with the NL's a couple of times under non-hunting conditions. The NL's are very nice, but the price difference doesn't seem worth the marginal benefit.