Swarovski ATC vs. ATS vs. Kowa 553…Updated 4/26/23!

Fun Guy

FNG
So, I ordered the 554 just before this ATC review was posted and got it for about $1K less than the STC/ATC. I already have the Razor 11-33 and spent today comparing the two. Not as much separation between them as I expected outside of the obvious magnification difference. I honestly thought the Razor held up pretty well on similar power levels with a bigger FOV than the 554. Not sure it is worth the upgrade for me for verification purposes only as I glass primarily with binos.

Maybe need to pick up a STC based on Matt's review, the eyepiece is a big improvement from my five minute fondling a few weeks ago.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I already have the Razor 11-33 and spent today comparing the two. Not as much separation between them as I expected outside of the obvious magnification difference.

Opinions vary wildly on the Razor 50. I would guess that is due to sample variation. Some copies are good, others not so much.

I have one as well, and my copy is quite good. It has more distortion and lower contrast than the premium spotters in this comparison , but good resolution and aberration control.

Fun Guy

FNG
Matt, thanks for your feedback. I dropped the 554 off at UPS today and am back to square one. I think I am going to keep my Razor for really light trips but don't know whether to go ATC/ATS or even bigger for more optic intensive hunts. I just know I really liked the ATC/STC eyepiece in my short fondling sessions.

I stumbled upon your Maven review on another site from last fall the other day, I have run the B1.2 8x42's for a few seasons and think they rock.

Edited by MC.

Last edited by a moderator:

Unoboats

WKR
Classified Approved
My ATC is on par with my STX 65mm at 40X. Also I was able to get a Butler Crk Element Flip up 60-65 mm objective cover to replace the ATC Swaro Obj cover, along with my MagView eye piece cover. You have to stretch the Butler creek rubber over the objective end. Fits like a glove.

Attachments

• 70629443228__87F443A2-ACA3-4019-A896-4B674F9ED98F.jpeg
    70629443228__87F443A2-ACA3-4019-A896-4B674F9ED98F.jpeg
    258.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 70629358793__75EDE1F8-C916-481F-AB32-07C6F23AEEE0.jpeg
    70629358793__75EDE1F8-C916-481F-AB32-07C6F23AEEE0.jpeg
    268.1 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

Mangata

Lil-Rokslider
My ATC is on par with my STX 65mm at 40X. Also I was able to get a Butler Crk Element Flip up 60-65 mm objective cover to replace the ATC Swaro Obj cover, along with my MagView eye piece cover. You have to stretch the Butler creek rubber over the objective end. Fits like a glove.
Thanks for sharing!
That is awesome!!

Matt, thanks for your feedback. I dropped the 554 off at UPS today and am back to square one. I think I am going to keep my Razor for really light trips but don't know whether to go ATC/ATS or even bigger for more optic intensive hunts. I just know I really liked the ATC/STC eyepiece in my short fondling sessions.
I always look at these reviews and think about different scopes, but bottom line, my Swaro ATM 20-60x65HD combined with a Nikon ED13-30x50 HD have served me so well that I just keep using them.

Same with the Swaro SV10x42ELs combined with a Leica Ultravid 8x32 (Pre-HD) for hunting binoculars.....

Compared the STC to the Kowa 99A the other night in the evening and yesterday at the range.

The Kowa is easier to get behind and does have more detail and light gathering, to be expected. Especially in the waning light hours. And it was rainy one day, the kowa did cut through the rainy “haze” better. There were deer on a hillside and the Kowa did provide the extremely fine detail better on the deer.

That said… I feel the STC stands up and does 90% of what the Kowa does under normal hunting conditions. With both at 40x, I felt the STC was a little more finicky to focus and get eye relief set, but once I did, I could see bullet impacts on plates nearly as well as the kowa. I felt the STC cut mirage equally as well as the Kowa. STC is clear up to max 40x, Kowa does amazing in that regard also of course.

So a very non scientific comparison here, but pretty impressed with the little STC. A friend had a STS with 20-60x65 and the STC hung with it no problem. Maybe a little clearer even once focused.

I could see myself throwing the STC in more often for hunting, packing and a quick trip to the range, more often than lugging around the huge Kowa. I’ll probably swap for an ATC at scheels when they get them in.

Zero knocks on the Kowa 99A because it’s simply an amazing spotter. The crux is that the STC/ATC for most normal hunting and shooting scenarios, doesn’t leave an extreme amount of want on the table for me. I wish scheels would’ve had a 25-50x65 ATS for me to compare to the STC.

MakAttack

FNG
Classified Approved
Kowa's superior focusing method is generally hugely understated on their 55,77,88,99 in my opinion. It focuses with the slightest touch on the fine wheel with one finger, versus spinning a ring the size of the entire scope body, which induces more shake at distance. In every/any scenario the Kowa design is more precise and stable even if the difference is small. Swaro wins hands down in the bino department.

IMG_9516.jpeg

Finally decided on the ATC. Very happy with my choice. The glass is very crisp and clear. My only complaint is that when you use magview on it, the eye relief isn’t quite as good. Also, anyone have any idea where the serial number is on this fella? Been looking for the last few minutes and can’t find it.

Unoboats

WKR
Classified Approved
Congrats love mine. I use it way more than My STX 95
Ser # is on the box. Not sure where on the atc

Fedster

FNG
I am willing to bet the Kowa 554 is optically as good or better than then Swaro STC (and it is 18% lighter), but the field of view of the Kowa is 35% smaller on the wide end, and 22% smaller at the narrow end, and I just cannot abide the tunnel effect, so I got the Swaro.