Swarovski 8.5 x 42 vs 10's

nphunter

WKR
I would love some feedback on what people who have used the 8.5 x 42's, did you ever feel like you needed 10's? Anyone went from 10's to 8x5's or vise versa and been happy.

I currently have Razor 10x42's and Meopta 15's. I really have no interest in the NL 12's, my buddy has them and honestly when glassing a couple of weeks ago they kind of left me wanting more. We had my 15's and my buddies 12's side by side and at the range approx. 2 miles you could see the bull better in my Meoptas. I walked back to the truck to get my camera and when I got back my buddy's 12's were sitting all alone and he was sitting behind my 15's watching the bull. They were great when glassing across the smaller canyons and I would love to have them for that, to be fair my buddy did spot the elk in the first place due to the larger field of view, overall I feel like we turned up the same amount of critters as each other though.

When glassing close my Razors are awesome but the depth of field is not nearly as good as the Swaro or my Meoptas, I've really been considering the 8.5 EL, I do most of my elk hunting in the woods and feel like the 8.5 would excel in that space, often I feel my 10's are too much and I leave them in the truck and just use my 7X Razor range finder. It seems like the 8.5, 15 and S2 spotter would be a pretty wicked combo. I just don't want to be underglassed but feel like having both 8.5's and 10's would be a waste, I would love to hear some feedback from guys with more experience. I wouldn't be opposed to going to the 10X EL's either.

handwerk

WKR
I've has the 8.5x42 SV for years and they always impress. I at one time had the 10X model as well and there wasn't much that the 8.5 gave up but the added stability was noticeable to me. I think the 8.5 would be a good fit for your needs.

I have had the 10x EL and currently have the 8.5 EL, for my needs it is just as good. But I mostly bow hunt and when really glassing long range my spotter is usually close by. There will always be a situation that you want the other, just go try them both and see which you like better.

Trial153

WKR
Having owned all the Els at one time or another I liked the 8x32 ELs better then the 8.5, didn’t see much if any difference between the two and the 32s are smaller and lighter and have great ergonomics

I have used a lot of 10x and 8x along with 15s. If your always packing the 15s then 8s are better choice. However, if you only take one bino most of the time I would go tens. They simply show more detail at further ranges or even picking off small details further in. 8s hold better and are best option for the final stalk. IMO 8s are better right until you can sit down and get the 10s stable using elbows off the knees. In theory the 15x and 8x are a great combo but if you cover a lot of ground the 15s and a pod can get old pretty fast.

Matt G.

WKR
i have the 8.5 as well. i hunt the dark timber predominantly so that is my pic. Greater exit pupil for low light and almost 400 ft FOV.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Gone4Days

WKR
I went from 10x to 8x SLC’s and am happy. Easier to hand hold, not losing much in mag and I also use 15x SLC’s on a tripod

10ringer

WKR
If you’re going with a two bino combo 8.5/15 or 8.5/spotter you’ll be golden. 8’s wont cut it on their own.
On day four of my Colorado rifle hunt last year I had a 10 mile day and decided to leave the 15’s at camp (big mistake). With 45 mins of daylight remaining I watched a group of elk 1200 yards away exit the timber and feed in the open. I could clearly see the different size bodies but could not see enough detail to tell whether or not there was a legal bull. Obviously I didn’t have a shot but it would’ve given me enough Intel to justify the long hike the following day. 10’s might have worked better, but for sure 12x and above would.

Wheels

WKR
I owned the EL 10x42’s and currently have the EL 8.5x42’s. I like the bigger FOV with the 8.5’s. Just spent a month mule deer hunting and the FOV is fantastic for initial glassing and glassing closer, then I switch over to the 15’s for more detailed longer range looking.

Have the 8.5 EL and love them for ease of glassing, and field of view. They are my go to elk and mountain bino. You can also buy the doubler attachment, it works ok, but is no spotter. Works good for light weight day hunts when no need for the scope, but you think you see a horn and quick hook up and your at 17x.

SquirrelyDan

Lil-Rokslider
8.5x EL’s are the cherry of the lineup. The 1.5x you’re losing is easily forgotten with better FOV, bigger exit pupil and less shake. 8.5/15 or spotter is killer setup.

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
Thanks guys, I think I will move forward with the 8.5's as my next purchase, hopefully I can pick up a set before shed hunting starts in the spring.

Firehawk

WKR
Man did I ever try to use 10x. I just couldn't hold them steady enough until I put them on a tripod. So...I eventually went the 8x route. Started with a Vortex 8x42, then went to a Leica Duovid 8-12x42 which was my first Alpha type glass. I was a big fan, but also intrigued by the Maven model. Ended up with a Maven B2 9x45 and loved it for 6+ years. Last fall, I found a good deal locally on a pre SV 10x42 EL bino. Wanted to love it so much. On a tripod, it was terrific. But...eventually I sold it here in the classifieds and went to an 8.5x42 Swaro and have never looked back. They are great and I can handhold well enough. On a tripod, they are so good. Always have a Meopta Meostar 15x56 and a spotter that I can use on a tripod for the really far away stuff too. For me, I am finally satisfied with my excellent glass. At least for now. ;)

atmat

WKR
Thanks guys, I think I will move forward with the 8.5's as my next purchase, hopefully I can pick up a set before shed hunting starts in the spring.
You won’t be disappointed. I moved from the 10x to 8.5x and am happy. Much easier to handhold and better FOV.

I would never use them standalone, but between them, my rifle scope (14x), and my ATS 20-60, I’m set.