Swarovski 12s vs 15s

notradame

Lil-Rokslider
I have both as well as 10's and use the 12's for everything. My dad uses the 15's now and my daughter the 10's.

fatrascal

WKR
I agree with marktole with his evaluation of 10 power. I had the 15's and sold them. I have no experience with 12's. Although the no spotter option and going with 12's or 15's doesn't work for me I'm curious to see your evaluation of the 12's. Good post. Fatrascal

If the glass in the ELs isn't a big step up I'll go with the 15s and not wonder if I'm lacking. I'm probably the only idiot that carries 15s as my only bino, chest carry for quick glances and tripod when it's time to get serious.
Pretty sure I heard randy ulmer mention he mainly uses 15s too... he has done pretty well for himself lol

I borrowed by buddy's SLC 15s for a week to compare in the field with my 12 ELs a while back. After a bunch of side by side comparisons in different lighting and distances, i decided to keep my 12s, but i feel like you can't go wrong either way depending on your needs and what other binos you have.
In your situation with them as your only pair i'd go with the 12s. They do the long range stuff well on a tripod and they have a nice field of view for the closer stuff.

OP
W
Got home from work last night and had some unexpected expenses dropped in my lap that pushed the 12s out of the budget.

I called Doug at Cameraland and ordered the 15s this morning.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
So sad... you will never know the love the 12 ELs had to offer... HAHA.

But you can never go wrong with Swaro!

samolot

FNG
Having tried a LOT of binoculars in the past, the SLC' 15x56 are one of three pairs that audibly "wow'd" me. The higher power, combined with AK prisms, excellent ergonomics and ... an easy tripod adapter make this a fantastic pair of a lifetime. Congrats and enjoy

Ben RT

Lil-Rokslider
Yup , I've been using cheap 15s as my only bino since 2012 so I know it'll work for me and be familiar. Just looking forward to the huge step up in quality.

I'm curious what your cheaper 15s were? I've had 12x50 ELs and now use Meostar 15x56s. I hate saying it, but once I started carrying 8s around my neck I realized how unstable I really am when free-handing, and I just found that the 12x ELs weren't ever being used unless on a tripod... and then if I'm on a tripod, I found the 15s to show a little more detail (at a definite sacrifice of field of view, for sure!). I needed to free up some cash anyway, so I sold the ELs and got a sweet deal on the Meostars. ELs are amazing, but I am happy (...almost happier) with the 15x Meostars! I'm pretty certain it's completely a personal preference and physical ability thing, but I imagine you would really love the ELs if you're able to free-hand 15s.

OP
W
My cheap 15s were Vortex Vipers , I found a pile of game with them and have a similar pile of dead critters to show for it. If the Swarovski binoculars are as good as my Swarovski spotter I sold, I should be able to increase my dead critter quotient by a minimum of 1 % .

aythya

FNG
I like the 15s for long distance glassing in the SW for coues or mule deer. Like a lot of desert hunters, high power is king. The 10X hardly ever come out.

I northern hunts where the land is more forested, 10 or 12X rule

OP
W
20200430_171041.jpg

Today's the day! Thanks @gr8fuldoug for the great service and quick shipping. These binoculars are everything I hoped for and a huge upgrade for me. Kinda funny, when I first pulled them out of the box and went outside to try them out there's a cow elk on the ridge above my house, pretty cool to try out new glass on elk right in my backyard.

:LOL: this is worse than my wife talking with her girlfriends about shoes. But way more important. I was in the same boat. pulled the trigger on some Leica 12x50's for this season after packing my 9x B2's and 15x Vortex and spotter around..time to dump a pair (I hope)

223dude

WKR
I bought both 12x50el & 15x SLC hd for last year's hunting season.

My buddy and I spent many hours looking though both on tripods.

After the season I sold the 15x56slc.

The 12x50el is King.....

Last edited:

BluMtn

WKR
Had the 12EL's for about 4 years now. Wear them everywhere. Can't think of a better pair of binos to pack around for general viewing in my part of the world. BUT that is just my very personal opinion. And according to some of my friends not a very good endorsement.