Swaro 95 on tricer or mini pan head?

Hoot

WKR
Anyone do this? I have a basic carbon fiber tripod and outdoorsman mini pan head, great in the back country for binos and my little maven spotter, but I’m going to step up my glassing/digiscoping game with a 95. I’ll get a more stable platform for the truck and day hikes, but for the backcountry, is it worth it to try? Balance rail? Bite the bullet and upgrade the tripod too?

Love to hear your thoughts…

huntnful

WKR
My buddy ran a 99 Kowa on the tricer tripod and panhead last year and it was extremely unstable. The slightest wind induced enough vibration to deem the whole system useless.

Definitely get a beefier tripod, around that 3lb mark and a standard panhead. Even the regular outdoorsman panhead would be much better, and not a huge weight penalty.

Ultralight and big optics just don’t go hand in hand too well

It’s doable but not great. I have used a Kowa 88 on the little tricer a lot (on a beefier tripod though). It will lock up to down but not really side to side. I think the tripod will be more of a limiting factor than the head, but neither is ideal.

Last edited:
As others have said, you pretty much need to have a heavy hauler set up and a light set up. I have my light set up but will be building the heavy set up over the next few years. Was thinking BTX with RRS combo.

huntnful

WKR
It’s doable but not great. I have used a Kowa 88 on the little tricer a lot (on a beefier tripod though). It will lock up to down but not really side to side. I think the tripod will be more of a limiting factor than the head, but neither is ideal.
Agreed. Stable, heavier tripod is more important than the head for sure.