Suppressor wait times

JAE

FNG
I got mine back in December exactly one year to the day from when it was submitted. It's my third one, every time it took longer.

Called ATF. Spoke with a human. Why isn't this automated? Also, why does this take 300x longer than buying a ******* gun? Don't answer. Rhetorical question.

"Waiting for FBI background"

Submitted 7/7/2023: Trust through Silencer Shop.

Still Wating MEME.jpg

Yea I only did it because they had a suppressor that my local shot didn’t and I wanted it haha. But Darn it. Sucks when there is a couple month delay before you even get to the ATF wait.

When I went thru my local shop it was way quicker and smoother.

I just bought a Bannish Backcountry and a Banish 46 thru SC on Saturday.....did the FP's right there and today got all the e-paperwork in my e-mail. I suspect since I already am in the NFA system it might be quicker than otherwise. I guess we will see.

I just bought a Bannish Backcountry and a Banish 46 thru SC on Saturday.....did the FP's right there and today got all the e-paperwork in my e-mail. I suspect since I already am in the NFA system it might be quicker than otherwise. I guess we will see.

I've been in the NFA system for 10 years. I don't see any difference. :)

WKR
I've been in the NFA system for 10 years. I don't see any difference. :)
Nope. It's 100 percent luck of the draw who gets assigned your file. If you get someone new without a backlog, it might be fast. If you get someone who is already sitting on a pile, it might be longer. Plus there's always a chance it gets lost in the shuffle at NICS.

Interested in anyone else's experience with this as well.
As far as adding new items to a SC trust, I think you'd have to ask them. I bought from SC once and learned my lesson and set up a new trust at my lgs. The lgs was able to add new cans to the trust there, so I can't see why SC wouldn't be able to.

WKR

WKR
Kind of a dumb question, but I keep seeing the word "certified" being thrown around...
How do you know if the form 4 was certified or not? If I filled out the E-form 4 at the local gun store is it already certified on the date of purchase?

Kind of a dumb question, but I keep seeing the word "certified" being thrown around...
How do you know if the form 4 was certified or not? If I filled out the E-form 4 at the local gun store is it already certified on the date of purchase?
You’ll get an email from the atf.gov that your forms have been “submitted/in process”.

sveltri

WKR
As far as adding new items to a SC trust, I think you'd have to ask them. I bought from SC once and learned my lesson and set up a new trust at my lgs. The lgs was able to add new cans to the trust there, so I can't see why SC wouldn't be able to.
I went through Silencer Central on the last one, they told me each suppressor will have to be on its own trust?? I just started the process again at my LGS, received the "Submitted/In-Process" email later that day. Way faster and easier, however, if I decide to do a trust it'll be on me to get it done.

sveltri

WKR
Nope, this isn’t true. You have two types of trusts: single shot trusts and normal trusts.

A normal trust can have as many NFA items as you want on it.
So I can add the new suppressor via an amendment to my existing trust or do I need the help of an attorney?

atmat

WKR
So I can add the new suppressor via an amendment to my existing trust or do I need the help of an attorney?
The correct answer is that any change to a trust should go through an attorney.

That said, I used NationalGunTrusts and they have an easy amendment process.

If you started with a single-shot trust, I don’t know the logistics/possibility of amending to a normal NFA trust.

wesfromky

WKR
Single shot trusts are setup for one NFA item per trust. You would probably need to setup a new regular trust, then pay $200 per item to transfer in any NFA items that are single shot or individual, if you want everything in one trust. You can also just setup a normal trust for anything new, and leave what you have as is.

Bluefish

WKR
Certified is the act of the atf getting your form 4. You get an email from them saying they got it. If you don’t have that email it’s not “certified”.

Nope, this isn’t true. You have two types of trusts: single shot trusts and normal trusts.

A normal trust can have as many NFA items as you want on it.

You can also amend a revocable trust at any time. You can literally substitute an entirely new trust document and just recite that it is an amendment to the prior trust. That said, if you go that route, find a lawyer who knows what he is doing to help you.

So I just got a Form 4 back in record time. In 20 years and a bunch of forms, this is the fastest I have ever had.

Rugged Obsidian.
Purchased through SilencerShop.
Individual.
Form 4 was submitted via eforms on 1.15.2024
Approved 2.14.2024.

I have another Form 4 for a SilencerCo Scythe Ti that I submitted on 1/3/2024, nothing on that one yet.

So I just got a Form 4 back in record time. In 20 years and a bunch of forms, this is the fastest I have ever had.

Rugged Obsidian.
Purchased through SilencerShop.
Individual.
Form 4 was submitted via eforms on 1.15.2024
Approved 2.14.2024.

I have another Form 4 for a SilencerCo Scythe Ti that I submitted on 1/3/2024, nothing on that one yet.
Wow that’s quick Crazy.

jeremy.b

Lil-Rokslider
Take this with a large grain of salt, but in talking to a couple local SOTs their ATF contacts told them (several years ago) the ATF has a (lofty) goal of getting down to a 17 day approval window. (and obviously we see how well THAT is going).

The interesting tidbit in those conversations was how much tax revenue the ATF was looking at and would come in if the process was that fast.

While I'm no fan of the need for approvals on suppressors in general, I'd bet there would be a pretty considerable uptick in suppressor usage if the process was a reliable 30 days or less.