Suppressor wait times

eltaco

WKR
I have a submission date of 9/16/2023 and some of the recent approvals I’m seeing here give me some hope that I could be 1-2mo out. Hopefully I’m not on the other end as some of you guys are around a year!

I’m excited to get my first suppressor mounted and see what these things are all about.

Heck yea! Just got the approval notice! 146 days since submitted for an individual form 4.

Going to pick up my SilencerCo Scythe-Ti ASAP!

Ordered two tbacs thru silencer central in August.Anyone you can call to get actual update or speed it up?
I’ll be honest. I don’t think there’s any update or speeding it up, but I don’t know for sure. I’m willing to bet that the only update is the ATF hasn’t approved it yet, and they’ll approve it when they approve it. Wait times seem to be fairly inconsistent.

wesfromky

WKR
And for what is it worth, I have two at 195 days and another at 153, while seeing many quicker approvals on the reddit megathread. So dumb, they should just be a 4473 with instant background check at most. My previous two ended up being around 280 days, so really hoping it won't be that long this time.

Is there any rhyme or reason to the approval timeline? Longer for your first one? Looking to purchase my first suppressor within the next month and have no clue what to expect.

I told myself I wouldn’t go thru SilencerShop again but I purchased another one from SilencerShop. Been over a month and still trying to get “certified”. I should have known better. Last time when I went directly thru a shop they certified me right there vs the 1 to 2 month lag time of even trying to get certified

I told myself I wouldn’t go thru SilencerShop again but I purchased another one from SilencerShop. Been over a month and still trying to get “certified”. I should have known better. Last time when I went directly thru a shop they certified me right there vs the 1 to 2 month lag time of even trying to get certified
I had the same story with silencer shop About 2 months from purchase to certified. 5 weeks to transfer and ship it i think. Gonna go local next time.

Edited to change to silencer shop not central. Cant multitask..

Last edited:
If you use a silencer central trust hows that work if you buy local the next time?
Can you use same trust and they just add to it?

I had the same story with silencer central. About 2 months from purchase to certified. 5 weeks to transfer and ship it i think. Gonna go local next time.
Dang!

Just had my First experience with Capitol Armory, certifying and getting the eform filed was pretty dang quick, I feel like it was within a couple business days of them having my fingerprints. I was expecting them to be as quick on getting it shipped but it seems like CLEO notification and shipping is on track to take close to 4 weeks. I assume none of the online shops do CLEO notification prior to your form 4 stamp clearing? Because that would have been cool.

Im still waiting for approval and this is my first so im not sure but it sounds like CA ships after approval? If so i guess its the same wait just the other way around. I did this through a silencer central elite dealer with the kiosk.

Waiting on different things it sounds like though? Did your dealer submit notification to your chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) when you submitted your form 4?

Entire process was virtual with CA except for mailing in physical fingerprints to them which they keep on your file. They ship directly to your home after it clears. I hoped they were different than others and sent CLEO notification while the form 4 was under review but they did not. I have no idea on any legal concerns with doing it that way. A day or 2 after my form 4 review cleared they sent CLEO notification via certified mail and said to expect it to take 14 business days before they were clear to ship it - 7 of which being the minimum review time for CLEO.

I went through an LGS for the first one, pretty much no delay between them receiving the can and setting up a virtual meeting to certify. Other than the person being on vacation for a few days.

Second one I went through a local guy that does FFL work with no brick-and-mortar and advertises on a few local forums. That was an even better experience. As soon as anything happened he was texting/calling me with updates and next steps. Highly recommend Black Hammer Arms for anyone in the Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia area.

Waiting on different things it sounds like though? Did your dealer submit notification to your chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) when you submitted your form 4?

Entire process was virtual with CA except for mailing in physical fingerprints to them which they keep on your file. They ship directly to your home after it clears.
It might be different or maybe thats what i was waiting on, Im not sure tbh. He made it sound like id just walk in and pick it up as soon as the stamp came back but maybe someone whos been approved can set me straight.
I didnt realize you were talking the direct ship thing thats cool. Since i did it through a store anyways i felt like the extra waiting to transfer and ship was a tradeoff for the deal i got and supposed convenience of buying online. If i had bought one in the store it seems like i could have saved at least a month.

WKR

Entire process was virtual with CA except for mailing in physical fingerprints to them which they keep on your file. They ship directly to your home after it clears. I hoped they were different than others and sent CLEO notification while the form 4 was under review but they did not. I have no idea on any legal concerns with doing it that way. A day or 2 after my form 4 review cleared they sent CLEO notification via certified mail and said to expect it to take 14 business days before they were clear to ship it - 7 of which being the minimum review time for CLEO.
The CLEO notice they wait to ship for is for the 4473 firearm transfer record, not the form 4. This is the same for any company that ships to your door.

They submit CLEO notice with your stamp application just like everyone else. But, when you pick up a can at a lgs, after it's approved, you still have to fill out a 4473 at the counter. Because you're getting yours non-over-the-counter, there is an additional CLEO notice that requires the certified mail and 7 day wait.

The CLEO notice they wait to ship for is for the 4473 firearm transfer record, not the form 4. This is the same for any company that ships to your door.

They submit CLEO notice with your stamp application just like everyone else. But, when you pick up a can at a lgs, after it's approved, you still have to fill out a 4473 at the counter. Because you're getting yours non-over-the-counter, there is an additional CLEO notice that requires the certified mail and 7 day wait.

That is a helpful clarification/explanation, thank you.