Suppressor / thread adapter question

kkp005

WKR
I’m helping a buddy put on / sight in some rifles since he got his surefire socam 7.62ti in.

He has a Christensen 308 that’s threaded 1/2-28 so he bought 1/2-28 to 5/8-24 thread adapter for his socom qd mount.

When we put the thread adapter on, it doesn’t bottom out on the barrel shoulder….and we’ve got that sucker tightttt.
Is it okay to put the qd on now and fire away ? Don’t want to give him a baffle strike on his brand new can 🥴.

Attachments

• IMG_0200.jpeg
    IMG_0200.jpeg
    236.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0201.jpeg
    IMG_0201.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 29

alpine_troop

Lil-Rokslider
What he needs is a Surefire SOCOM muzzle device in 1/2x28, which his 762 suppressor will still fit on. Not the best idea to stack the muzzle device onto a thread adaptor when they make a suitable muzzle device.

For Surefire SOCOM suppressors, the 762 models can mount on their 5/8x24 or 1/2x28 muzzle devices, but the 556 suppressors cannot mount to a 5/8x24 muzzle device (for obvious reasons).

Edit to add: ditch the Warcomp in favor of the 3-prong flash hider. Those Warcomp are notorious for increased carbon lock with how they vent gas straight onto the mating surfaces, as well as increased sound at shooter’s ear (due to increased gas escape out the back, again because gas is venting straight onto the mating surfaces).

What he needs is a Surefire SOCOM muzzle device in 1/2x28, which his 762 suppressor will still fit on. Not the best idea to stack the muzzle device onto a thread adaptor when they make a suitable muzzle device.

For Surefire SOCOM suppressors, the 762 models can mount on their 5/8x24 or 1/2x28 muzzle devices, but the 556 suppressors cannot mount to a 5/8x24 muzzle device (for obvious reasons).

Edit to add: ditch the Warcomp in favor of the 3-prong flash hider. Those Warcomp are notorious for increased carbon lock with how they vent gas straight onto the mating surfaces, as well as increased sound at shooter’s ear (due to increased gas escape out the back, again because gas is venting straight onto the mating surfaces).

This is a much better idea. I am not familiar with Surefire suppressors, so didn't know if they made a 1/2-28 muzzle device for that can.

SloppyJ

WKR
Get the muzzle device that fits that can or change the back end of it if possible to direct thread 1/2". I wouldn't shoot what you have rigged up.

OP
kkp005

kkp005

WKR

That was my original plan… I’ve ran a 1/2-28 yhm qd on a 308 before with my yhm resonator…. But I called suredfire today and they told me the id of the 1/2-28 muzzle devices wouldn’t be big enough to shoot a 30 cal through….. anyone have one handy to measure ??

alpine_troop

Lil-Rokslider
That was my original plan… I’ve ran a 1/2-28 yhm qd on a 308 before with my yhm resonator…. But I called suredfire today and they told me the id of the 1/2-28 muzzle devices wouldn’t be big enough to shoot a 30 cal through….. anyone have one handy to measure ??
Ah. Good point. I would take Surefire’s word. Their 1/2x28 muzzle devices are designed primarily for .223/5.56 use so that makes sense. The thread adaptor type linked above is probably your best bet then.

Just be damn sure everything is aligned correctly after final install.