Suppressor & Max Caliber Questions

SCHUNTER73

Lil-Rokslider
I’m just back from a hunting trip
In S Africa and used the PH’s guns, all of which were suppressed. I did not Rallis’s what I had been missing. I have been reading and trying to wrap my head around all of the different offerings. I’ve done lots of reading on the pew rankings. I understand all of that. My question may just be semantics in how they are categorized and advertised by the different websites.….I see some offered as “multi caliber”, which makes sense.

That said, the one I am looking at was listed in the subcategory of “7.62/308” but also shows minimum barrel lengths for various calibers that go up to .300 win mag. I want to use it on a 308, 280 AI and 7mm -08. There would be no issue with those calibers, correct? I guess I am just confused by the categories they were listed under. TIA for anyone’s expertise/opinions.

Geewhiz

WKR
I’m just back from a hunting trip
In S Africa and used the PH’s guns, all of which were suppressed. I did not Rallis’s what I had been missing. I have been reading and trying to wrap my head around all of the different offerings. I’ve done lots of reading on the pew rankings. I understand all of that. My question may just be semantics in how they are categorized and advertised by the different websites.….I see some offered as “multi caliber”, which makes sense.

That said, the one I am looking at was listed in the subcategory of “7.62/308” but also shows minimum barrel lengths for various calibers that go up to .300 win mag. I want to use it on a 308, 280 AI and 7mm -08. There would be no issue with those calibers, correct? I guess I am just confused by the categories they were listed under. TIA for anyone’s expertise/opinions.
A can that is advertised as a 30 cal can (7.62/308) is compatible with bullets up to a 30 caliber diameter. In addition to that, the manufacturer of the can will specify barrel length restrictions depending on the cartridge and associated pressures thereof. For example, some 30 cal cans will state that they are compatible with 30 cal cartridges up to 300WM and list the barrel length restrictions of those included cartridges, but may specify that they are not rated to handle the pressures of larger cartridges such as 300NM or 300 RUM even though they still shoot 30 cal projectiles.

In the vast majority of cases, you are correct in stating that there would be no issues shooting 308, 280ai and 7mm08 through a 30 cal can.

Last edited:
Reactions: WKR
OP
SCHUNTER73

SCHUNTER73

Lil-Rokslider
Many thinks for the clarification and quick response. Confirmed my thoughts.

WKR

WKR
The "caliber" of the suppressor is the diameter of the largest bullet or projectile that can be shot through that certain suppressor.

The cartridge and barrel length restrictions are the maximum allowable pressure that the suppressor can handle before failure.

Any of the rifle cartridges you listed will work in a 30 cal suppressor because they are smaller or equivalent in diameter to 30 cal.

The barrel length restriction and pressure questions are always best directed towards the manufacturer. I have called a few when in doubt and they were helpful in explaining the limitations of certain models.

Edit: @Geewhiz pretty well summed it up and made my comment redundant

OP
SCHUNTER73

SCHUNTER73

Lil-Rokslider
Both were very helpful info, thanks. I am good on the barrel length requirements for both that I am looking at.

Reactions: WKR
OP
SCHUNTER73

SCHUNTER73

Lil-Rokslider
B-S must’ve had a concession near where we hunted, because I think we saw several of their trucks at a little roadside stand near where we hunted gemsbok.

Samson7x

WKR
B-S must’ve had a concession near where we hunted, because I think we saw several of their trucks at a little roadside stand near where we hunted gemsbok.

You end up getting a gemsbok? I never connected with one last time so I’ll be after them again next year.

If you aren’t already a member, consider joining africahunting.com and post your experience there.

OP
SCHUNTER73

SCHUNTER73

Lil-Rokslider
I did get a beautiful one, but it didn’t go as I had hoped. My shot was a few inches back and missed the vitals. We hunted him for 2 days but could not determine which one he was in the group (we saw the group 2x after the shot). We went back the third morning with a grid search and finally found him. They are tough, tough critters.

I’ve been lurking on AH, but never joined.