Newbie rifle question

So I have decided to take the plunge and buy a nice hunting rifle. For background, I have only ever hunted whitetails in my home state of Arkansas since I was about 8 years old (now 35). During that time, I typically used a Remington Woodsmaster 742 chambered in 243 that my grandfather bought for me when I was 12. Now that Im older, Im looking for a nice and lightweight rifle that I can use in the mountains (that most of you would call hills) of Arkansas and possibly take on a Western mule deer or elk hunt one day.

Before posting, I took the time to read a lot of threads on the forum and decided to settle on a Tikka T3X. I held one at my local Sportsman's Warehouse and I was quickly sold. My questions are these:

1.) Is the difference in cost on the different models of T3X worth it? I've seen some for around $800 and others at $1400. Obviously the higher dollar gun has better aesthetics, but does it provide any significant value otherwise that you cannot get with a cheaper model? Just trying to justify that cost.

2.) From my understanding, one of the advantages of Tikka is that they are fairly well modifiable. Is there a particular caliber that I should purchase up front that would allow me to change barrels/calibers at a future date? Calibers I am interested in include 270, 6.5 CM and 308. Should I decide to add a caliber/barrel in the future, any recommendations on which rifle to purchase first?

TLDR: I wanna buy a T3X, is the higher cost models worth it? How hard/easy is it to swap barrels/calibers and is there a caliber I should buy first in order to more easily swap out calibers in the future?

Thanks for any and all recommendations.

1. Higher priced models have threaded barrels, fluting cerakote ect. If you don't need those features don't spend the additional $$.

2. Get a Creed to start, then upgrade to other barrels that are compatible with the same bolt face as desired.

You’re on the right track and I think I can help clear some things up.
1. Honestly no, the more expensive models offer very little over the basic lite models. Depending on model you only really gain a threaded barrel and a cerakote covering on the barrel and action. IMO the stainless t3x lite is the best value in the lineup.

2. Yes tikkas have become very modular with many stock and barrel options available. For now stick with a 6.5 cm or 308 and in the future you can upgrade to basically anything with a little mod. The action lengths of tikkas are all the same, so depending on what you want to change to you can change bolt stop, swap the bolt, and change out mags to accommodate a new chambering.

OP
The_Dinkmaster
You’re on the right track and I think I can help clear some things up.
1. Honestly no, the more expensive models offer very little over the basic lite models. Depending on model you only really gain a threaded barrel and a cerakote covering on the barrel and action. IMO the stainless t3x lite is the best value in the lineup.

2. Yes tikkas have become very modular with many stock and barrel options available. For now stick with a 6.5 cm or 308 and in the future you can upgrade to basically anything with a little mod. The action lengths of tikkas are all the same, so depending on what you want to change to you can change bolt stop, swap the bolt, and change out mags to accommodate a new chambering.

Thanks for the reply.

1.) As far as cerakote, does it truly improve the longevity of the rifle? I can be pretty rough on my equipment due to the terrain I drag it through.

2.) Since the 270 is a longer cartridge, if I started with a 6.5 CM I could still use a 270 barrel in the future? Im pretty sure this is what you are saying, just want to clarify.

Ehunter56

FNG
Just bought my 4th T3x. GREAT guns. Rather than spending the extra for an "upgrade" like cerakote, I send my metal off to a guy in Utah. He does a coating that FAR outlasts cerakote, or anything else I have seen, and it's virtually indestructable. Drop the rifle in the mud, hose it off and let it dry. Still have to clean the bore of course, but that's it. Total cost is still less than a "factory upgrade".

Gila

WKR
A Tikka T3x lite in stainless steel chambered in the 270, 308 or 6.5 Creed is a light, rugged and accurate mountain rifle. I recommend a 22” inch barrel. If you don’t like the black stock you can easily paint it. About the only thing you need to do when you take it out of the box is adjust the trigger to your liking.

You can get pre-fit barrels off the shelf just about anywhere these days. Some folks replace the barrel themselves but there is an initial investment for the tools. Unless you will do it often not worth the cost. I have the local gunsmith take off the old barrel and spin on the pre-fit.

OP
The_Dinkmaster
Just bought my 4th T3x. GREAT guns. Rather than spending the extra for an "upgrade" like cerakote, I send my metal off to a guy in Utah. He does a coating that FAR outlasts cerakote, or anything else I have seen, and it's virtually indestructable. Drop the rifle in the mud, hose it off and let it dry. Still have to clean the bore of course, but that's it. Total cost is still less than a "factory upgrade".
Just curious.....do you know what he coats them with? Might could ask for it around here from the gun guys I know

Ehunter56

FNG
Dink, It's his own PTFE mix of some sort. He's the only one that has it. Only thing he doesn't treat is the trigger spring. Says the heat part of the process will take the temper out of the spring. It's "black ice coatings" out of Spanish Fork Utah. Great guy to deal with, and pretty fast turn around time. Getting ready to send the metal from my new Tikka to him. I send ALL the metal, including scope rings.

OP
The_Dinkmaster
Dink, It's his own PTFE mix of some sort. He's the only one that has it. Only thing he doesn't treat is the trigger spring. Says the heat part of the process will take the temper out of the spring. It's "black ice coatings" out of Spanish Fork Utah. Great guy to deal with, and pretty fast turn around time. Getting ready to send the metal from my new Tikka to him. I send ALL the metal, including scope rings.

Awesome thanks for the info. May look him up after I buy....if I can ever decide on what I want to do lol