Suppressor for hunting Questions

ssramage

FNG
I've been considering it for the last few years since suppressors were legalized for hunting in GA, but haven't made the investment yet. I honestly don't know much about them, and have never shot with one, but the ringing in my left ear tells me that I would probably benefit from one. For those more knowledgeable than me, I have a few questions that I'm considering below.

1. I have multiple rifles that I would like to switch a suppressor between (5.56 AR, 6.5CM bolt gun, 300blk AR and bolt gun, 7mm-08 bolt gun). Is there a "do all" suppressor that would work equally as effective on each of these platforms, or do I need to look at gun specific suppressors? Brands/model suggestions would be helpful.

2. How quiet are they REALLY? One of the situations that I could see them being extremely useful is I have a property that I hunt (whitetails) that is near houses. I've always limited myself to bowhunting only, but have had hogs show up on occasion and rifle would be better suited. Shots are all 40yds and under. Would subsonic work in this instance? If not, is supersonic suppressed (say through the 300blk) quiet enough that the neighbors ~75-100 yds away wouldn't notice?

3. Any issues with effective kill range at longer distances? It's not uncommon when powerline hunting to have ~300 yd shots. Does the suppressor affect terminal ballistics at longer ranges?

letrbuck

WKR
I've got my first 2 suppressors still sitting in jail, so I'm no expert, but here's what I've learned from my own reading and being around other people's suppressors

You could get one 30 cal can to fit your needs and use something like the Silencerco ASR mount to switch between. It'll require a compatible muzzle device for each rifle but switching is pretty quick and easy

On bolt guns you'll be hearing safe, on semi autos (like ARs) you won't fully be hearing safe because of the ejection noise. All good suppressor companies list the dB rating

Suppressors also function as good or better than muzzle brakes for recoil reduction, and I've heard they can increase accuracy and velocity on some rifles.

The buying process seems daunting but it is super easy.

Hope that helps and I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in with more info

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've been considering it for the last few years since suppressors were legalized for hunting in GA, but haven't made the investment yet. I honestly don't know much about them, and have never shot with one, but the ringing in my left ear tells me that I would probably benefit from one. For those more knowledgeable than me, I have a few questions that I'm considering below.

1. I have multiple rifles that I would like to switch a suppressor between (5.56 AR, 6.5CM bolt gun, 300blk AR and bolt gun, 7mm-08 bolt gun). Is there a "do all" suppressor that would work equally as effective on each of these platforms, or do I need to look at gun specific suppressors? Brands/model suggestions would be helpful.

2. How quiet are they REALLY? One of the situations that I could see them being extremely useful is I have a property that I hunt (whitetails) that is near houses. I've always limited myself to bowhunting only, but have had hogs show up on occasion and rifle would be better suited. Shots are all 40yds and under. Would subsonic work in this instance? If not, is supersonic suppressed (say through the 300blk) quiet enough that the neighbors ~75-100 yds away wouldn't notice?

3. Any issues with effective kill range at longer distances? It's not uncommon when powerline hunting to have ~300 yd shots. Does the suppressor affect terminal ballistics at longer ranges?
You could buy a 30 cal can that is going to work, but not be the best all-around. The smaller you get, the louder it will be. So in reality your 6.5 creed will be louder than if you were to shoot a 300 wm through a 30 cal can. With that being said it will still work and will be far quieter than running a brake or nothing. I personally haven't been around subs too much so I can not say much there but for terminal ballistics, it will not affect how the bullet flies. It will however affect velocities so take that into consideration. It is very impressive how quiet they are compared to just running a brake. I am not sure what hearing safe as a measurement would be, nor do I have a device that could measure it, but we shot 100 rounds of 338 Lapua last year and never had ear pro on. This was in a field and not in a covered range but none of us had headaches at the end of the day as we would have with a brake and ear pro.

h2so4

WKR
If you have the budget- get dedicated suppressors as suggested above. 1 for AR platforms, 1 for bolt action rifles and don't forget the rim fire! The 22lr will be the most fun. I have 1 right now and 2 more pending.

I have an original Hybrid from SilencerCo. It works pretty well for everything. I notice the length and weight often. When I decide to spend some more $$ on these, I'll get a light-weight suppressor that focuses on hunting applications. And then I'll get a micro handgun suppressor for 9mm. After that, I'm sure there will be another niche I need to fill with a new fancy a$$ silencer. ha.

As for the 300BO subs- they will be very quiet and most likely hearing safe with a suppressor. My suggestion for subsonic hunting ammo would be, in order, Black Hills 198gr Dual Performance ( aka maximum expansion bullet) from Lehigh defense. It is a copper bullet machined to expand reliably at subsonic speeds. The second choice would be 220gr OTM bullet. It would be more than effective as well. Especially at the ranges you're referring to (<50 yards).

clperry

Lil-Rokslider
You need a 30 cal direct thread.

Silencerco Harvester Evo
Dead air Nomad
Silencerco Omega
TBAC ultra 7

All three will meet your criteria and accomplish all of what you’re wanting. With subs, the folks around won’t hear it, with supers they won’t notice in a hunting situation. Pull the trigger and enjoy. I have a silencerco hybrid and evo, with a dead air mask and omega in jail. Once you start, you most likely won’t stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

ssramage

FNG
Thanks for all of the info guys! This is very helpful. The shortened lead times for e-file have me considering it more strongly than in the past just because I'm too impatient to wait 12 months.

Lawnboi

WKR
Good info above I won’t bother repeating.

Promises of shortened lead times are going to lead to less cans avalaible… this is happening NOW.

Were I in your shoes, I would immediately order an ultra 7 in 30 cal CB from mile high as they are in stock. Decide what dealer in state you will use. That will cover your bolt guns and get the process started to where you could possibly have it for this fall, can’t reiterate enough the word possibly, your already behind the ball for this fall.

Rip off the band aid of what it’s and waiting and get the process going. So many guys drag their feet complaining of the wait, if you just get it started you will have it before you know it. In the grand scheme of things 6-9 months isn’t squat, 90 days we are currently being promised would be even better.

Maybe mention what state you are in, that might help you find a good shop that can handle the transfer for you.

The Dead Air Sandman series is designed to have 3 different suppressors that can be interchanged like the .30 advice above.

I have the K and L in jail right now. Once they’re out, I’ll just buy a few of the muzzle breaks for my various rifles.

Now that the NFA is electronic filing (supposed to be quicker), I’m probably going to add the Sandman S to the lineup.

In your original post, you mentioned GA, so I am going to assume that is where you live. If so, look up Quiet Riot Firearms. They will help you out. They have a lot of suppressors in stock (or in jail for others) so you can look the different ones over and actually feel and see the differences between them to help you make your decision.

Some reasonable advice and some not so much. A 30 caliber can will absolutely work on your bolt guns and ARs. The difference in sound between a 30 cal can vs say a 5.56 can on a 5.56 is negligible, not even discernible to the ear.

That said knowing what I know know after purchasing north of a dozen suppressors, bolt guns would get direct thread cans, ARs would get QD mounts.

Once you buy one you will want to purchase more.

And while TBAC makes great cans they are overpriced IME for what they are. Don’t overlook Dead Air, Silencerco, even YHM cans on a budget. Pay attention to weight, especially if you have light weight spotter type barrels on any on your rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

idahoan

FNG
I have a banished 30 in jail waiting to come to the house. I asked if they might sell out and the salesman sent me a photo of shelves and shelves full of silencers......

Attachments

• 7010.jpeg
    7010.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 7008.jpeg
    7008.jpeg
    467.5 KB · Views: 76

You can certainly use a 30 cal suppressor and move it from your bolts to ARs, I have a direct thread Banish 30 and it handles everything from my 30 Nosler to mag dumps on my AR.
Also I prefer direct thread, all the gadgets aren't nescessary
That said I wanted another so my wife and I could both hunt suppressed, sooo after a ton of research I ordered a Nomad LT from silencer shop.
It's rated as one of the quietest out there

B23

WKR
For a one and done up to 30 cal. that is the quiestest out there the DA Nomad LT or the new TBAC Magnus would be the ticket.

If you want a can that is light and shorter than those two and you're willing to give up a little noise suppression for lighter and shorter then I'd go TBAC Ultra7.

Then there is the Banish30 which kind of splits the difference between all of them and is a modular can that allows it to be run as a 7 or 9 inch configuration. The Banish30 may not be the quietest 7 or 9 but is still a very good can and it offers the user a lot of options. I'm waiting on three Silencer Central cans right now, one of which is their Banish30.

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
The AB Raptor allows you to change the end cap for .223, 6.5, or .308 diameter projectiles. Not sure how many other suppressors allow that. I know the Banish 30 advertises itself as being useable from .17 to .30 caliber, but does it have specific end caps for those calibers?