Suppressed Rifle Build

I sold my X-bolt Speed LR in 300WM w/ 26" barrel factory braked. Reasons for selling
- forgot ear pro on separate occasions = suppressor has been ordered
- the 26" barrel was a deal breaker for OAL once the suppressor arrives
- Recoil (live and learn). I feel a lot of my recoil impulse was due to the muzzle brake noise but either way I am thinking I would like to have less

Re-thinking life, I am in search of recommendations for a rifle to start over with. I am open to brands and cartridges

Criteria
-5/8-24 factory threads are a huge plus as I do not have experience with any gunsmiths in my area
-Factory ammo. I do not reload
-Needs to be a common cartridge
-Elk out to 500yd

The X-bolt Speed SR in 6.5PRC has my attention with the 20" barrel and seemingly a ready to go package
Tikka custom build maybe? Only downside is I would need to have the barrel threaded somewhere on most models of T3X

Elk out to 500 yds? Easy button is a 6.5 Creedmoor, Tikka T3X SS barrel chopped to 18" with a suppressor. Top it with a Nightforce/Trijicon/SWFA.

6.5 PRC and Creedmoor shoot the same bullets, and the PRC gets you out past 800 yds usually for a minimum impact velocity like 1800 fps. The tradeoff is PRC will have more recoil, more expensive ammo, shorter barrel life and you won't shoot it as good as you will the Creedmoor (all else being equal).

Better answer is the 6mm Creedmoor probably...

ID_Matt

WKR
Threading a muzzle is an easy task for just about any gunsmith. I agree with above. A factory tikka, cut to 18 or 20" is a great option. Add a stock later on and you have a sweet shooter that feels custom.

Selling my Bergara that is set up for running a suppressor HERE. Not too heavy with the short barrel, but you could rebarrel with a carbon barrel for a really sweet setup. I ran this in an XLR chassis and it's a great setup.

20" T3x CTR in 6.5CM. Mine shoots every factory load and handload that I've tried very well.
I've had extremely good experiences with two different CTRs so I'll second this. If you want to get fancy OP you can throw it in a KRG Bravo.

atmat

WKR
You don’t need to have a smith in your area. Class 3 Machining in Dallas charges like $125 to cut/thread, and you ship them your barreled action.

I know rokslide is tikka country, but ive always had great luck with savages. This one here seems to check all your boxes. But the 18" 6.5cm, screw your can on, and be done with it. Figured somebody should mention a non tikka option. https://savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=57931

Also, accutriggers are okay, but ive switched mine out for elf triggers. Like them a lot better.

Unckebob

WKR
I sold my X-bolt Speed LR in 300WM w/ 26" barrel factory braked. Reasons for selling
- forgot ear pro on separate occasions = suppressor has been ordered
- the 26" barrel was a deal breaker for OAL once the suppressor arrives
- Recoil (live and learn). I feel a lot of my recoil impulse was due to the muzzle brake noise but either way I am thinking I would like to have less

Re-thinking life, I am in search of recommendations for a rifle to start over with. I am open to brands and cartridges

Criteria
-5/8-24 factory threads are a huge plus as I do not have experience with any gunsmiths in my area
-Factory ammo. I do not reload
-Needs to be a common cartridge
-Elk out to 500yd

The X-bolt Speed SR in 6.5PRC has my attention with the 20" barrel and seemingly a ready to go package
Tikka custom build maybe? Only downside is I would need to have the barrel threaded somewhere on most models of T3X

I just bought a Tikka Roughtech in 6.5 PRC with a 24" threaded barrel factory installed.

It is my first Tikka and I am impressed. After velocity testing my first hand loads for it, I threw my Dead Air Nomad on and the lack of recoil made me giggle.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve had tikkas and kimbers cut and threaded. I just bought a Seekins havak element 6.5 creedmoor for similar uses as you mention. You might check those out. Great stock, threaded barrel, timney trigger,~5.5lbs out of the box.

Castronova

Lil-Rokslider
With a similar objective in mind for next season I just bought a Christensen Ridgeline FFT 6.5 PRC. With Hornady 147 eldm it will still be over 2000 fps at 600 yds out of a 20” barrel. With a Raptor 8 and Trijicon tenmile 3-18x44 it will be around 7.5# (I don’t have the can yet).

So far it’s been a fantastic shooter.

I just sent my tikka lite 6.5cm to LRI to get fluted and chopped to 17” and threaded. That is in a Stockys VG. With 140 eldm that should still have reliable expansion out to 550. You can get into this setup for around $1,500 without optic.

Couple options to think about.

OP
spartanhunter
Elk out to 500 yds? Easy button is a 6.5 Creedmoor, Tikka T3X SS barrel chopped to 18" with a suppressor. Top it with a Nightforce/Trijicon/SWFA.
Threading a muzzle is an easy task for just about any gunsmith. I agree with above. A factory tikka, cut to 18 or 20" is a great option. Add a stock later on and you have a sweet shooter that feels custom.
So we are talking the Tikka JRTXB382 (24" stainless) or the TFTT63LL103B (22" stainless) which I believe are the exact same. 5/8-24 is an option at 20" or 18" with that barrel?

ID_Matt

WKR
So we are talking the Tikka JRTXB382 (24" stainless) or the TFTT63LL103B (22" stainless) which I believe are the exact same. 5/8-24 is an option at 20" or 18" with that barrel?
Yes on the JRTXB382. I am not sure which one the second one corresponds to, just make sure it is stainless and not the superlite version that is fluted. I don't believe you can get 5/8-24 out of a tikka barrel but can definitely do 1/2-28 and easily use an adapter.

Castronova

Lil-Rokslider
Yes on the JRTXB382. I am not sure which one the second one corresponds to, just make sure it is stainless and not the superlite version that is fluted. I don't believe you can get 5/8-24 out of a tikka barrel but can definitely do 1/2-28 and easily use an adapter.
I bought a tikka lite stainless on this board cut to 20" threaded 5/8 - 24. There was nothing behind the threads. I shot it with a brake without worry. I have a couple cans coming and it did not make me feel comfortable which is why I just sent it to be cut shorter and threaded 1/2 - 28. Maybe it would have worked I just didn't want to have it in the back of my mind.

OP
spartanhunter
I just bought a Tikka Roughtech in 6.5 PRC with a 24" threaded barrel factory installed.

It is my first Tikka and I am impressed. After velocity testing my first hand loads for it, I threw my Dead Air Nomad on and the lack of recoil made me giggle.
It's a bummer the T3x stainless is not available in 6.5PRC in the states

Weldor

WKR
After years of messing around with 16" bbls. suppressed , Pretty disappointing velocities (handloaded) sure it works but. I've settled on 20 " and 18" . 6.5 prc 20" bbl 140 gr. velocity 2850 ish minimum recoil. Remember suppressors peel off about 40% recoil. 18" 308 shooting 130's 2850 ish. Like shootlng a 223. Just my personal observation.

OP
spartanhunter
I have a Tikka Lite Stainless in 6.5CM off to LongRifles, Inc to be cut at 18" and threaded to 1/2-28. I am having them put on an adapter to 5/8"