suppressed 300wsm? - input requested

Looking to put a suppressor on my Browning 300 WSM AB2 stainless 23" barrel and in need of advice - I've had it for years and this is purely a hunting rifle, but I want to enjoy it. Yes, I've read many of the threads on here and yes I still have questions. I'm leaning toward a Scythe Ti or TBAC Magnus S RR, but I'm not committed to anything. My main objectives are 1) less recoil, 2) quieter. Yes, I understand a standalone brake would mitigate recoil. I do not want solely a brake since it's just plain loud already, but I want something that is overall more enjoyable to shoot. I still need to get my barrel threaded and I've been in talks with a gunsmith - very new to the suppressor game, indeed. My additional questions are about my WSM being a lighter weapon physically and whether having a heavier suppressor (i.e. Magnus instead of Scythe) would be a good thing (would weighting down the front end help in general?). I see a lot of forums talking about 300 WM, but not WSM, so I'm curious for the input. And I've heard a lot about the benefits of directional brakes at the end of a suppressor vs a radial brake. Can't say I've shot prone at a lot of animals, but for those that have, is the directional brake "THE" way to go (for dust dispersion)?

Lastly, yes, if you find a recent or old thread I've overlooked, please link me to it and I kindly apologize for my ignorance. Ha! But I do genuinely appreciate any tips.

Last edited:
I have the same gun. I have used a Hybrid 46 for the past 5 years or so. Makes the gun very nice to shoot. The stock barrel with the can is a beast to handle. But the recoil is without a doubt less. I use the ASR mount and don’t think the break is less recoil. That’s with the understanding that the ASR may not be the best break. I’ll be switching to the 419 system soon.

Last edited:

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Radial brakes barely provide recoil reduction and blow crap everywhere. Side port brakes are what you want for max suppression.

Suppressors don’t cut the recoil as much, and they change the impulse to a slower pulse/push. Good brakes nearly end the recoil quickly as the gasses push against the ports as it flows out.

Heavier suppressors can affect barrel “harmonics” more. But, it’s not like there is a problem.

Once you get a good suppressor, modern design, suppressors are all good. Thunderbeast has a review of suppressors that a bunch in the industry all got together to do tests.

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a Tikka with an McGowen 20” barrel in 300 wsm.
I suppresses it with a Diligent Defense S-Ti.
I like it, but think I’d like it more with a scythe.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a 24” wsm that is threaded and tame with a good side port brake on it, with an AB raptor 8 it’s quite long but recoil is reasonable. It definitely wants to move more with the can (which has no brake) on it but it’s not unpleasant to shoot.

I enjoy carrying my an X-bolt Pro 300wsm, with Banish 30 suppressor setup in the 7" profile for elk hunts.
There's a night and day difference, between the stock muzzle brake and the suppressor. The recoil and sound reduction with the suppressor, make the gun an absolute joy to shoot for a long day at the range, which seems to be reflected in improved accuracy on the long distance shots.
For the threading, I opted to have this thread Adapter permanently adhered to the barrel, works well.

I have a Tikka T3x Lite in 7mm Rem Mag. I run a Thunderbeast Ultra 7 on it. Suppressed vs. unsuppressed is a very different experience. The Ultra 7 is so light weight, there is not a discernable difference in POI at 100 yards. My only complaint is how long the whole thing is. I love the setup though. Unless shooting 3gun, I only shoot my long guns suppressed now.

KHNC

WKR
I have a CA Carbon Classic with Omega 30 I can use on it. The barrel is entirely too long though. 26" with can is a bit much. It performs very well. Recoil and noise is minimal. I rarely hunt with it nowadays , although i did carry it last year on a cow elk hunt on BLM in wyoming. Open country carry was fine. I cant cut that barrel so i mostly use the can on my other rifles.

B23

WKR
Don't think you can ever go wrong with a TBAC they're always a better than solid choice but I'd probably look at the new Dead Air Nomad Ti XC. It's a pretty awesome can and very quiet, and, at 6.75 in length 9.6 oz it'll still be relatively compact in size.