Support for 6.8 western?

Unckebob

WKR
Does anyone know if 6.8W cartridges will fit in a magazine that goes in a M5 bottom metal.

Gila

WKR
Does anyone know if 6.8W cartridges will fit in a magazine that goes in a M5 bottom metal.
Don’t know about M5 but the longest possible COAL with the 175 gr game changer kissing the lands in a SAAMI chamber is 2.96”.

wartak

FNG
Seekins makes rifles chambered in 6.8 Western as well. Barrel makers will spin one up for ya. I bought a prefit barrel off the shelf. Just as much ammo out there as the 7 PRC right now. The 165 LRAB and 175 Gamechanger are popular loads. As of now Winchester, Browning and Choice produce ammo. For handloaders, plenty of bullets available. Brass is only being produced by Winchester as of now but looking for some premium brass to be available by the end of the year.

This is mostly true, however the part in the articles stating that the 7prc gets a bit more velocity is a total overstatement. Most of the data I have seen the 7prc gets sub 2900 fps with 175 eldx and meanwhile the 6.8 western is getting real-world velocities of 2860ish in 24" barrel with far less powder. I wonder why so few folks these days take into account cartridge efficiency?

wartak

FNG
Don’t know about M5 but the longest possible COAL with the 175 gr game changer kissing the lands in a SAAMI chamber is 2.96”.
They work in 6.5PRC rifles however mine feeds like trash and so does a friend of mines rifle. I believe the prc is a little longer than 6.8 isn't it?
My PRC the tips of the bullets are mangled by the time it feeds into the chamber completely because of the odd feeding angle.

timfresh

FNG
View attachment 680522
@Gila there is not "just as much ammo out there" as was discussed in the other 6.8 thread.

This picture was taken at the largest sporting goods store in my immediate area. There is not even a space for 6.8W.

I have also been to two smaller shops, no 6.8 but they do have 7prc.

Ammoseek: 103 results for 6.8/344 results for 7prc.

Midway: 1 6.8/5 7prc.

Most of the 6.8 factory ammo that I can find is also copper. Maybe they should have called it the 6.8 California?
Lol. 6.8 California.

Unckebob

WKR
Ammunition is impossible to find. Scheels, Cabelas, and Midway. I could have gotten more loads, but they did not interest me. Once these rounds are fired, I'll have enough brass to last a few years reloading this Hunting cartridge.

When I shoot a volume rounds, it will be with my 6 ARC OR 6.5CM.

IMG_0591.jpeg