Supplements

hobbes

WKR
In the past I could do fine by simply running on an elliptical, a stair stepper, and hiking the three months leading up to elk season. A typical pattern for me was to drop 10 lbs during this time and (maybe drop more during the elk season) and finish up elk season in the best shape of the year due to the number of miles hiked. I’d then put all of that weight back on over the winter, hold steady during the spring and start the process over again in the summer. As everyone knows, that gradually becomes less and less effective.

I’m a hair over 6’ tall going on 47 years old. I’ve never been especially muscular or a marathon runner, but still reasonably fit most of my life. Ten years ago I would go into the summer at about 190 then drop back to 180 by the end of elk season. As the age has went up the weight has gradually crept up so that I would start the summer at approximately 200 lbs. Last summer I partially tore a calf muscle (should have seen that coming) and my typical cycle of dropping pounds not only didn’t happen, but it reversed. I went into the 2016 elk season weaker than previous years having little preparation other than the PT I was doing to heal the calf muscle. I’ve now started the year fluctuating between 206 and 208 lbs.

I hate to say I’m old, but I’m too old to think any sort of real elk fitness is going to work using the same routine that worked fine in my 30’s. I don’t really want to know what the previous cycle will look like in my 50’s (holy heck where has the time gone). My wife and I both joined a gym before the end of the year and have been going in early mornings before work. I won’t pretend that I’ve turned a corner just yet because I’ve only been going two weeks and I know how easy it is for the determination to fade and the membership to become nothing more than a pointless bill, but I’m trying to get the corner turned. I'm also attempting to turn this into more of a lifestyle and not just a crash course for elk season.

I think ive got nutrition covered, but I do have a question or two about supplements. I’ve looked primarily at MTN OPS, but am not opposed at WA or some other brand of supplements. I wouldn’t mind a boost in energy during the work out, but what I’d really like is some sort of muscle recovery afterwards. Due to another health concern that I have, I don’t need to rev up on caffeine. I can have some caffeine, but typically get all that I should have in the form of my morning cups of coffee, some of which are decaff. When I look at the descriptions of the products they all look the same………….May boost energy, may help recover, may help with flabbiness. What supplements are you guys using and why? Should I even take supplements?

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
NO Explode was the only NO2/Preworkout that I could take that didn't bug me out. It started causing health problems for me after about 5 or 6 years so I had to quit those types of supplements. NO2 products do speed up recovery though. Seems like my gains stay the same nowadays no matter what protein supplements I take. My favorite supplement now is a high quality Turmeric, which I would recommend to anyone.

ianpadron

WKR
Supplements are just that...supplements.

As much as guys will hoot and holler about the latest proprietary blend they've got from Mtn. Ops. or WA, you're better off dialing in your nutrition 100%. I find that the food I eat influences my workouts and ability to train hard far more than any supplement I've taken (lots of them).

The only supp I recommend on a consistent basis is a high quality whey protein isolate or blend to consume post workout. You will notice less soreness and a quicker recovery, as whey is digested faster and more bioavailable than any other protein source known to man.

Pre workouts, even the non-stimulant based products lead to dependancy and a long term inability to train without their use. If you need energy for a workout, pound some quick digesting carbs and get er done.

Hope this helps brotha! I can post an article I wrote on this topic if you'd like too.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
Supplements are just that...supplements.

As much as guys will hoot and holler about the latest proprietary blend they've got from Mtn. Ops. or WA, you're better off dialing in your nutrition 100%. I find that the food I eat influences my workouts and ability to train hard far more than any supplement I've taken (lots of them).

The only supp I recommend on a consistent basis is a high quality whey protein isolate or blend to consume post workout. You will notice less soreness and a quicker recovery, as whey is digested faster and more bioavailable than any other protein source known to man.

Pre workouts, even the non-stimulant based products lead to dependancy and a long term inability to train without their use. If you need energy for a workout, pound some quick digesting carbs and get er done.

Hope this helps brotha! I can post an article I wrote on this topic if you'd like too.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
I agree with this 100%. I had noticed pure eggwhite and whey proteins would definitely shrink my recovery time and help alleviate my soreness, but now that I'm protein supplement free, seems like I've improved aesthetically since I've improved my diet because of the absence of supplements and my strength gains have been just as consistent as well.

I dabbled with anabolic steroids for about 3 years when I was much younger and they definitely yielded positive results that couldn't be argued with despite some of the claims. I don't condone the use of steroids and know how harmful they can be, especially when abused like they most often are, but every supplement since then has been very lackluster.

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
Those are some of my concerns with supplements.....long term health effects and dependency. Nutrition is probably the toughest thing to do. Its not hard to find the info, but doing it isn't easy. I travel a couple days a week during construction season (sometimes the winter too) and preparing and packing meals is a pain in the......... In addition, food that I used to could skip without thinking a thing about it becomes more and more like a drug the older I get.

I'd be glad to read the article........post away.

I've taken supplements from Mtn Ops and 1stPhorm.

I like the post workout stack from 1stPhorm, their protein flavors are awesome. I was never a fan of the megawatt pre-workout, gave me nausea and the jitters. So I use Yeti from Mtn Ops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say if your nutrition and rest aren't straight you're wasting your money. You can supplement your way out of bad sleep habits of bad eating practices. I would check out bodybuilding.com as far as info and supplements. I'm at this point taking a high quality whey as well as a multi vitamin, a probiotic, and preworkout. I haven't had the chance to try yeti yet but have been taking caffeine free c4 and cycling off every 6 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
No one can argue that whey protein doesn't absorb well and help recovery but it can raise your glycemic index, making it hard for some to lose weight, if that's part of the goal. People get caught up in calories, fat, and "sugar", but sugar in isn't always sugar out. Things like bready carbs raise your blood sugar more than table sugar. People don't realize that having toast and pancakes for breakfast is worse than just having a couple of Snickers bars. Bread infiltrates every corner of our diet and once you learn the science behind that you can make leaps and bounds in your health that supplements can't touch.

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
I do a decent job of avoiding or at least limiting some of the foods mentioned. It's easier for me to do away with sugar than it is the breads.

I'll look at the bodybuilding.com website for some nutritional advice, but the site is an immediate turn off for me. I have no interest in body building and the sight appears to be geared more toward body building than fitness training. My first impression could be wrong.

I may try some of the whey protein for recovery, but will likely not go the route of energy boosters. I've already suffered some effects of over doing the caffeine for years and have to limit that as is.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
I do a decent job of avoiding or at least limiting some of the foods mentioned. It's easier for me to do away with sugar than it is the breads.

I'll look at the bodybuilding.com website for some nutritional advice, but the site is an immediate turn off for me. I have no interest in body building and the sight appears to be geared more toward body building than fitness training. My first impression could be wrong.

I may try some of the whey protein for recovery, but will likely not go the route of energy boosters. I've already suffered some effects of over doing the caffeine for years and have to limit that as is.

Yeah, Bodybuilding.com has a few too many gay selfies as avatars for my stomach but I have been able to get some decent feedback on supplements back when I was more interested in them.

jack88

Lil-Rokslider
Just go Paleo and if you don't want to do that, cut out eating grains/bread. What a difference in recovery time for me when I went grain free for a few weeks!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm 10 years your elder, so can relate :)

dialing in your training regime (including recovery time) and what you eat is where your efforts needs to be concentrated

the only "supplement" I take is a post workout "protein" shake (save a few vitamins)- plain yogurt, fruit, little juice and a scoop of a whey-well documented that a protein/carb mix taken shortly after a workout will help recovery