Suggestions on Caliber in Light Weight Rifle

Which Caliber do you recommend I will be shooting all copper bullets. Pick your number 1 and 2

• 6.5 Creed

• 6.5 PRC

• 7 PRC

• 300 WSM

• 300 Win Mag

Results are only viewable after voting.

SwiftShot

WKR
Looking for a new toy but I only want one toy not 5. I hunt the PNW from Washington to Montana. Mostly I hunt Elk, Black Bear, and Deer. I do every few years do a Pronghorn hunt as well. I will also go up to Alaska for Caribou and looking to add Moose and Sheep to that soon. I have a couple rifles I have used in the past that worked out well.
Those rifles are a 6.5 PRC and a 300 RUM. In the past I have had 300 Win Mag, 7 08 and 25-06. Well about to fully retire and will have a wonderful new toy hauler. I will be doing Summers and Fall in PNW and Alaska. That means border crossing through Canada. I know you can do it alright but it is a hassle at times so trying to make it easier. So that is the thought behind one rifle.
Thought about putting one of my rifles the 300 RUM or the 6.5 PRC in the MDT Hunter 26 stock. That thing is just awesome but runs a little bit of money. I still need to deal with the barrel length as well. So I found the Savage Ultra Lite Elite. Great looking gun and comes in that stock standard. Now the question calibers are 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 PRC, 308, 7MM PRC, 300 WSM and 300 Win Mag. So the barrels are 20 inches so not too short but you do loose some speed there. The thing will weight if done right complete 7 lbs. with scope. So if I run a can which will complicate the Canada thing. What caliber would you guys pick. The 7 PRC looks promising and I do reload so the price doesn't bother me for ammo. I love my 6.5 PRC but I think it is marginal for elk and moose. I am thinking the 7 PRC, 300 WSM and 300 Win Mag might be a recoil beast in that 7lb rifle. So I am in a weird spot. I don't want to drop 3 grand on a rifle I will not like too shoot. I shoot a lot that is why I reload. I want to be able to stretch out to a reasonable distance and not kill myself with recoil. I like the 7 PRC but have just heard too many stories about it being as bad as the 28 Nosler in a light rifle.
My 300 RUM is in a 8.5 lb. rifle with a Silencer Co 36 M and that doesn't bother me. I know it is a ramble but looking for thoughts on this. Dropping over 3 grand I don't want to really screw this one up. It would be simple if I could go shoot the rifle with most of these calibers but that is not an option. Also 300 PRC is not an option unfortunately.
Thanks in advance.

Dave0317

WKR
How many of those places you hunt require copper?

Opening up the option of using the most efficient bullets would allow you to step down in recoil, while also improving lethality, hit rate, and usually overall external ballistics as well. Would take your lighter calibers from being marginal on moose to being more than adequate. At least, that’s the direction I’ve started to go after reading the .223, 6mm, and 6.5 threads here. Hundreds of pages and dozens or maybe hundreds of large game killed with those calibers using ELD-Ms, TMKs, and similar.

OP
SwiftShot

SwiftShot

WKR
How many of those places you hunt require copper?

Opening up the option of using the most efficient bullets would allow you to step down in recoil, while also improving lethality, hit rate, and usually overall external ballistics as well. Would take your lighter calibers from being marginal on moose to being more than adequate. At least, that’s the direction I’ve started to go after reading the .223, 6mm, and 6.5 threads here. Hundreds of pages and dozens or maybe hundreds of large game killed with those calibers using ELD-Ms, TMKs, and similar.
I will never use a 223 on anything larger than deer. I know there is a massive thread about that. Not for me. The 6mm is not an option in that rifle 6.5 is but which one. The whole 223 thing for large game, sorry I am going back to Alaska and I will not carry a 223.

OP
SwiftShot

SwiftShot

WKR
I’ll say 308. I don’t think the recoil would be a problem. Should be a good choice of bullets.
308 just works but not really an out west kind of round. Under 300 that is great but pass that marginal, unless I look at hand loading it up. I might be able to get better performance with hand loads.

waspocrew

WKR
Sounds like you want a magnum.... personally, I think a 6.5 PRC will be plenty adequate for the game you are looking at pursuing.

Again, if you think a 6.5 PRC is marginal, then go 300 WM or 300 WSM in the Savage.

mtnbound

WKR
Looking for a new toy but I only want one toy not 5. I hunt the PNW from Washington to Montana. Mostly I hunt Elk, Black Bear, and Deer. I do every few years do a Pronghorn hunt as well. I will also go up to Alaska for Caribou and looking to add Moose and Sheep to that soon. I have a couple rifles I have used in the past that worked out well.
Those rifles are a 6.5 PRC and a 300 RUM. In the past I have had 300 Win Mag, 7 08 and 25-06. Well about to fully retire and will have a wonderful new toy hauler. I will be doing Summers and Fall in PNW and Alaska. That means border crossing through Canada. I know you can do it alright but it is a hassle at times so trying to make it easier. So that is the thought behind one rifle.
Thought about putting one of my rifles the 300 RUM or the 6.5 PRC in the MDT Hunter 26 stock. That thing is just awesome but runs a little bit of money. I still need to deal with the barrel length as well. So I found the Savage Ultra Lite Elite. Great looking gun and comes in that stock standard. Now the question calibers are 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 PRC, 308, 7MM PRC, 300 WSM and 300 Win Mag. So the barrels are 20 inches so not too short but you do loose some speed there. The thing will weight if done right complete 7 lbs. with scope. So if I run a can which will complicate the Canada thing. What caliber would you guys pick. The 7 PRC looks promising and I do reload so the price doesn't bother me for ammo. I love my 6.5 PRC but I think it is marginal for elk and moose. I am thinking the 7 PRC, 300 WSM and 300 Win Mag might be a recoil beast in that 7lb rifle. So I am in a weird spot. I don't want to drop 3 grand on a rifle I will not like too shoot. I shoot a lot that is why I reload. I want to be able to stretch out to a reasonable distance and not kill myself with recoil. I like the 7 PRC but have just heard too many stories about it being as bad as the 28 Nosler in a light rifle.
My 300 RUM is in a 8.5 lb. rifle with a Silencer Co 36 M and that doesn't bother me. I know it is a ramble but looking for thoughts on this. Dropping over 3 grand I don't want to really screw this one up. It would be simple if I could go shoot the rifle with most of these calibers but that is not an option. Also 300 PRC is not an option unfortunately.
Thanks in advance.
Based on your information, 6.5 PRC won't work, which means 6.5 CM won't work, and 308 isn't a caliber for the West, so your choices are pretty straightforward. You want to use a copper bullet, so find which one shoots the copper at the highest velocities for your accuracy needs, and I would bet that the 300RUM.

OP
SwiftShot

SwiftShot

WKR
Sounds like you want a magnum.... personally, I think a 6.5 PRC will be plenty adequate for the game you are looking at pursuing.

Again, if you think a 6.5 PRC is marginal, then go 300 WM or 300 WSM in the Savage.
I am looking at the 6.5 PRC. I am just concerned it will not do moose or elk as well. I do love my 6.5 PRC I currently have. It is basically a 270 Win Mag. For some reason I have a hang up about it for elk. I do not know why. It is just not what I pull out for elk. Plus after one Brown Bear encounter I am a little nervous about carrying that in Alaska. I hope to be in Alaska at least every other year.