Subaru Outback Wilderness - feedback or something?

FLS

WKR
I bought my wife an outback in 21 to replace her full sized SUV. She commutes about 80 miles a day round trip. I love that car, it’s easy to drive and park and it sips gas compared to my pickups. My two sons liked it so much both bought Subarus for commuters. We drove my youngest sons Crosstek from SC to WY for an antelope hunt. It did great on the BLM and ranch roads and used a fraction of the gas one of our pickups would have.

Poser

WKR
Its a reasonable vehicle for the right person, though I hear lots of complaints about the sensor and electronics.
They state the clearance on these wilderness editions is 9 inches, within a half inch of a stock 4runner.
If you've ever looked at a wilderness edition parked next to a 4runner (something you see multiple times a day in Colorado), then you know that Subaru must be out of their damn minds. Approach and departure angles aside, there's no way those 2 vehicles have the same (or less than 1 inch of difference) of clearance.

My 2020 Tacoma got about 21.5 mpg. Loved that thing and it was bullet proof. I’d recommend going with that.

I don't know exactly how it compares to your checklist, but I have been using our Honda CRV for largely the same. It's been great. I'm pretty cautious of where I take my truck and more so the CRV, but I have taken to driving it whenever I can.

mjh

Lil-Rokslider
Wilderness models are not being carried forward into 2025, so you'll have to find a 2024 or older new or used. Good luck finding new.

Having Subaru's now and in the past I've been thinking about trading in my 2016 JKU on a Forester Wilderness. Would be nice to easily toss the canoe on top and go. Put down the seats and plenty of storage space for most of my needs. Add a hitch and pull my small utility trailer when needed. Better gas mileage. Better ride on longer trips.

I have a '24 Crosstrek sport. Wanted a wilderness, but needed a bit better mileage. Don't know how it relates to the Outback, but fit and finish is much better than Toyota, especially the RAV 4. We also have a highlander (Hybrid) and it is Lexus quality fit and finish for sure. but I would not take it off road ever! While the outback is smaller it has the same drivers compartment for the most part. I didnt get the power seat option as I didn't want a sunroof. My only complaint with the car is a lack of lumbar support in the seat. I drive 120 miles daily and already have 27K on it and it has performed flawlessly. I do like the center screen and you can run OnX and other mapping software on it as well. My parents have the current generation outback, not sure what year and I like it as well. Not a wilderness but they can both sleep in the back and they are tall.

three5x5s

WKR
My wifes 2021 Forster tells me to keep my eyes on the road at least once a mile, and after 10 miles to take a break. After 15-20 to pull over and take a nap. Turn off everything you can. Other wise its been good.

Voyageur

WKR
Over the past year I went through much the same search process as you described and researched many of the same vehicles. In the end it came down to the Forester and the Outback in either the standard or the Wilderness versions. I ended up going with the Forester mainly because its seat has you seated more upright like a truck as compared to the lower and more inclined Outback seating.
I also elected to not get the Wilderness edition. My reasoning being for the more gnarly roads I would use my Tundra. One of my top priorities was fuel economy which also led me to go with the Forester standard edition rather than the Wilderness.
Hope this helps.

Did you guys go with the turbo xt version? I'm looking at getting a 2020 outback limited or onyx to replace my wife's 4Runner.
I can't quite swing the cash for a new wilderness model.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Oh man, my watch notifications for this thread must have stopped working. Nebula the ice silver Outback was purchased, and she has already gone to the honey holes. I did get a hate message dust writing from the preteens in the nearby town that I didn't see til I got home.

It also fits the kids bike easy so he can ride while I jog before the gym kids' club opens up.

PXL_20240803_202313932.jpg
PXL_20240804_045520235.jpg
PXL_20240729_142112991.jpg

MPG is 25.1 right now for the whole 740miles I have driven it. My drive to the mountains, mild off roading to check cameras, and back had me at 27mpg. I am very very unsure of it on ruts, and skipped out in one road to a camera and just walked the opposite way around the mountain to it. I'll need a spotter to walk next to me and make sure nothing gets banned before I have more confidence.

TxxAgg

WKR
This is well worth it. The pic i posted above was before i had this adapter. It makes a big difference.
IMG_0973.png

Oh man, my watch notifications for this thread must have stopped working. Nebula the ice silver Outback was purchased, and she has already gone to the honey holes. I did get a hate message dust writing from the preteens in the nearby town that I didn't see til I got home.

It also fits the kids bike easy so he can ride while I jog before the gym kids' club opens up.

View attachment 747668
View attachment 747671
View attachment 747670

MPG is 25.1 right now for the whole 740miles I have driven it. My drive to the mountains, mild off roading to check cameras, and back had me at 27mpg. I am very very unsure of it on ruts, and skipped out in one road to a camera and just walked the opposite way around the mountain to it. I'll need a spotter to walk next to me and make sure nothing gets banned before I have more confidence.
Wife and I were talking earlier today.

Pretty sure we're going to be looking for one in a few months.

Ucsdryder

WKR

View attachment 747668
View attachment 747671
View attachment 747670

What was the message?

And I should be getting a steak dinner for the deal I got you (and dealing with you), but I can’t even get a mention?!?!

czgunner

FNG
I'd recommend you pay close attention to the CVT fluid condition. They aren't "sealed for life like the OEMs say they are.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

My mom has one... it barely gets better MPG that my 05 cummins (17-20mpg). Meaning, high teens and 23 on highway. Only once has the subaru crossed 25 and that was cruise control on 72 southbound 95 to florida. Truck stays
Its a 23 with 19,000 miles on it.
That being said, at 6'8", i can sit in the backseat for trips under an hour. Front is fine, trunk space leaves a lot to be desired. Better be good at tetris, or get a hitch and a cargo carrier.
Going to call BS on this.
But maybe you are correct.