Sub-$400 scope for deer

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
Ive got a Patriot 6.5 that was given to me by my FIL. It will be my son's first rifle to learn on and do some eastern deer hunting. FIL put a super crappy scope on it so I want to put something better but im not going to spend a bunch on it, as the title says under $400. ill probably stick with the typical 3-9x40, maybe 3 or 4-12. I have a VX-Freedom I like so I could get another one. Vortex Diamondback is an option, I feel like the Bushnell R5 or Engage would be good as well, if a bit below the Leupold. Burris has slim pickins in this range, but they could be an option.

Do you have another option? If not, out of those, which would you choose?

bigbuckdj

WKR
I bought a Trijicon Huron when they were $300 awhile back, since then, they passed the drop tests here. The price has went back up. I haven’t tried any you have listed other than the Diamondback, I’d buy another Huron without thinking much about it unless I wanted the illumination from a credo or accupoint.

ZackP

WKR
I would take the advice stated above. Try and find a Trijicon Huron for that price. I put the 3-12 on my boys 308 and it’s great.

Burris FF E1
Maven CRS series (one in classifieds)

Are 2 other more reliable options that will suit you better than the Vortex or Leupold.

OP
B

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
I would take the advice stated above. Try and find a Trijicon Huron for that price. I put the 3-12 on my boys 308 and it’s great.

Burris FF E1
Maven CRS series (one in classifieds)

Are 2 other more reliable options that will suit you better than the Vortex or Leupold.
More reliable how?

S-3 ranch

WKR
Vortex and Leupold scopes are well known to fail or lose zero.
That’s a matter of opinion, international/ African hunters seem to trust leopold
On dangerous game
I would not buy any thing with a turret to dial in moa for LDH except a couple that
Are in the $2000-3000 price bracket
A Burris signature has been on my .300wm and it hasn’t changed in 20+ years of bouncing around in my truck

Last edited:
OP
B

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
Losing zero is interesting, I carried an ACOG in Iraq and that zero was never the same, so thats my experience with Trijicon.

Rjk300

FNG
I have 3-9x40 vx- freedom’s and vx-2’s on my 45-70 and three 450bm’s never had to adjust zero and that’s at least 5 years of hunting on them. I know many guys hunting with leupold’s on their strait walls with no scope issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk