Sub-$400 FFP Scope?

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
What's up guys. I'm trying to help a buddy get a scope for his new .308 hunting rifle. He wants a First Focal Plane scope and his budget is $400.

He'd like a FFP in 4-16x with hash marks for hold overs. Ideally he'd like a zero stop and if he can't get a zero stop then capped turrets so they don't get knocked around in the field.

I've suggested to him to look at the Diamondback Tactical for $350 because I have several, but it's got exposed turrets and no zero stop. I'm also unfamiliar with Vortex's newer StrikeEagle, but never seen thru one. I'm assuming Athlon and Primary Arms has something, but I'm not familiar with their scope lines.

Any suggestions??

Schaaf

WKR
What's up guys. I'm trying to help a buddy get a scope for his new .308 hunting rifle. He wants a First Focal Plane scope and his budget is $400.

He'd like a FFP in 4-16x with hash marks for hold overs. Ideally he'd like a zero stop and if he can't get a zero stop then capped turrets so they don't get knocked around in the field.

I've suggested to him to look at the Diamondback Tactical for $350 because I have several, but it's got exposed turrets and no zero stop. I'm also unfamiliar with Vortex's newer StrikeEagle, but never seen thru one. I'm assuming Athlon and Primary Arms has something, but I'm not familiar with their scope lines.

Any suggestions??
Tell him to bump the budget up $50 and buy a Meopta 3-15x50. It doesn't have a Zero Stop but it has locking turrets.

fmyth

WKR
I have the Diamondback Tactical on my 300WM and have been pleased with it. I will be replacing it with a SWFA 3x9 if they ever come back in stock. I've never had a problem with it holding zero but have my doubts that it would hold if I dropped it or took a big hit riding in the UTV.

BLJ

WKR

Maybe worth a look.

kjw

WKR
For that price I would also say the vortex diamond back. It’s a good scope for that price range. If he can go up a little maybe take a look at the Arken optic scopes

BjornF16

WKR
I would seriously suggest bumping up the budget (if possible) and get a SWFA SS 3-15x42 FFP Mil Quad…

Ucsdryder

WKR
I would seriously suggest bumping up the budget (if possible) and get a SWFA SS 3-15x42 FFP Mil Quad…

This doesn’t have capped turrets, a zero stop or locking turrets.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Yeah, but it is reliable.
Say that to all the guys waiting for their warranty scopes. The reason I responded is the OP specifically asked for something this scope doesn’t offer. Just letting him know in case he wasn’t aware.

This scope has ONE thing going for it…it is reliable or at least one person has touted its reliability. It gives up a lot with clarity, low light transmission, and doesn’t have locking turrets or zero stop. I had one and wasn’t a fan. I did just buy the fixed 10x to put on my daughters rifle. It was the perfect scope for her at 199.95 delivered!

For his price range assuming he’s willing to give up the zero stop and locking turrets it might be a solid choice. For me a lack of zero stop and locking turrets is a no go. I’m still haunted by losing a BIG non-typical buck, possibly my biggest ever, due to a windage turret that got spun.

Last edited:

Ucsdryder

WKR
It doesn't need them. And you can add a zero stop kit for $20 or so. Far less if you source your own washers.

Like I said, I lost a very very big non typical due to a spin turret. So if it doesn’t matter to you then I guess that’s fine. It matters to me based on personal experience.

The washer deal is an OK compromise. Still doesn’t lock the turrets and I don’t like the mushiness of the washer option, but yes, it’s better than having nothing and wonder if you’re at 0 or -10 or +10!

The problem is there aren’t a lot, if any, good scopes in that range. I think we can all agree on that. I’d probably save up and try to get something in the 700 range. A few more options there!

ChrisAU

WKR
I don’t push China stuff, but if a dude has ~$400 to spend and wants those specs, the Athlon Helos BTR Gen 2 2-12x42 takes a big steamy dump on everything else that meets those specs in that price range for a hunting rifle. Can get them for $430ish. If it’s for punching paper the Arkens are nice but very heavy.

BjornF16

WKR
Say that to all the guys waiting for their warranty scopes. The reason I responded is the OP specifically asked for something this scope doesn’t offer. Just letting him know in case he wasn’t aware.

This scope has ONE thing going for it…it is reliable or at least one person has touted its reliability. It gives up a lot with clarity, low light transmission, and doesn’t have locking turrets or zero stop. I had one and wasn’t a fan. I did just buy the fixed 10x to put on my daughters rifle. It was the perfect scope for her at 199.95 delivered!

For his price range assuming he’s willing to give up the zero stop and locking turrets it might be a solid choice. For me a lack of zero stop and locking turrets is a no go. I’m still haunted by losing a BIG non-typical buck, possibly my biggest ever, due to a windage turret that got spun.
Who’s waiting for a 3-15x42 warranty replacement?

SWFA has these scopes in stock. I have one and have no issues with it at all. I’ve got a 3-9 on backorder as well as a 1-6.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Who’s waiting for a 3-15x42 warranty replacement?

SWFA has these scopes in stock. I have one and have no issues with it at all. I’ve got a 3-9 on backorder as well as a 1-6.
If you’ve been around here much you’ve seen lots of people says “I’m waiting on a warranty scope for X months.” Feel free to go back and look through swfa threads to find them if you’d like. 😆

BjornF16

WKR
If you’ve been around here much you’ve seen lots of people says “I’m waiting on a warranty scope for X months.” Feel free to go back and look through swfa threads to find them if you’d like. 😆
“Lots of people”?…I can find four in a quick search for “SWFA Warranty”…Wind Gypsy (3-9), Bobbyboe (6x), Shimmybro (3-15) and MuleyFever (unknown).

”Lots” of posts…so pony up. Reference them all…make your case.

No one, not even Form, has ever claimed they are 100% reliable. Not even NF can claim that. What Form specifically stated was NF has about 1-2% warranty return rate across their line with SWFA not too far behind…but especially better than other popular scopes that folks get their panties in a wad over.

Ucsdryder

WKR
“Lots of people”?…I can find four in a quick search for “SWFA Warranty”…Wind Gypsy (3-9), Bobbyboe (6x), Shimmybro (3-15) and MuleyFever (unknown).

”Lots” of posts…so pony up. Reference them all…make your case.

No one, not even Form, has ever claimed they are 100% reliable. Not even NF can claim that. What Form specifically stated was NF has about 1-2% warranty return rate across their line with SWFA not too far behind…but especially better than other popular scopes that folks get their panties in a wad over.
Easy, I don’t care enough. I get it, everyone has that product they leg hump. Right now mine is AG composites, I’m a big fan. Yours, well I think it’s obvious. All I did was post up letting the OP know that his requirements of a locking turret weren’t met with the swfa that was recommended. I’ve posted my own experience with the product plus what I’ve seen on here from numerous people. If you feel differently, great! That’s what makes rokslide great, and pays the bills. Gotta get those clicks to keep the website running.

BjornF16

WKR
Easy, I don’t care enough. I get it, everyone has that product they leg hump. Right now mine is AG composites, I’m a big fan. Yours, well I think it’s obvious. All I did was post up letting the OP know that his requirements of a locking turret weren’t met with the swfa that was recommended. I’ve posted my own experience with the product plus what I’ve seen on here from numerous people. If you feel differently, great! That’s what makes rokslide great, and pays the bills. Gotta get those clicks to keep the website running.
Not so much…lol

I’ve got three SWFAs, a couple of NF, a couple of Trijicons, more than a few Vortex, a couple of Leupold, one Zeiss. If I had to pick favorites, it would be the 2-10 Credo and 3-18 Tenmile, both FFP. I just sold a Credo HX SFP only because it wasn’t FFP. I’m in the process of replacing all Vortex and Leupold scopes.

For years I passed on the SWFAs (except 5-20HD) due to their turrets…I’m over that now just like I’m over Vortex and Leupold.

BUT…for the money, hard to beat the value of SWFA. Are they perfect?…Nope. I’ve still yet to run across my perfect scope.

If he can bump it up a little, the Vortex Venom 5-25 is FFP and has a zero stop. Downsides being weight and the 34mm tube. I ordered one for my budget PRS style rifle, looking forward to trying it out. I have several Diamondback Tacticals, even shot my buck pronghorn with one on my backup rifle last year. Its a great scope for the cost, I just keep a scope coat on until its time to shoot to keep the dials where they're supposed to be.