Sub $1000 FFP tacticool scopes

I really want to be an optics snob. But with the current economy it's tough!
I bought my daughter an Sig Cross in Creed last fall. I slapped my Loopy 6 1-6 on it for her. The lower magnification made it new hunter proof as far as finding the deer in the scope. Also the size is very compact.
I love that little scope but I need to put it back on my AR15.

I've been browsing the demo listing of the various sites but sadly theres no way I can buy the higher end Mark 5 or NX8's. Even at demo price.

I'd like to get compact scope that tops out at 15-18x. FFP is a must. I really really dislike SFP for a scope I'm dialing.

I've really been avoiding Vortex like the plague since I bought a Viper HST several years ago. The coating/glass were so bad that the scope was useless unless it was the perfect lighting conditions. I sent it to Vortex and they sent back and said it was fine.
I've since spoken directly with a Vortex employee and they apologized and sent me some swag. Actually they sent a huge box of swag for the whole family.

So I'm looking at the Strike Eagles and Venoms. The lower end Trijicon Credos and Loopy Mark 3's.

Any other suggestions?

That 3-18 strike eagle looks great!

Thanks

nobody

WKR
Trijicon Credo 2-10x36 FFP would be money on a lightweight setup. Otherwise, if you REALLY need the extra X’s, a Tenmile is right at 1k and is a better aiming device than the MK5’s and all the vortex’s combined.

BLJ

WKR
I received a 3-15 Venom on Friday and it’s going back tomorrow.
I had a 5-25 Venom in the past that worked for me. Glass and mechanically both.
Really tight eye box above 10-12x and glass at 15x was pretty milky.
Reticle overall wasn’t bad but the center dot was so small it was very difficult for me to pick up. Even above 12x.

I can’t speak of tracking/RTZ/zero retention. I didn’t make it far.

I know it’s not a very extensive review, just something to keep in mind.

ETA. I don’t have a recommendation by I can’t recommend the 3-15 Venom.

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't used a 3-18 Strike Eagle but have spent some time with the 5-25 SE, and lots of time behind the PST Gen2 (all models but the 2-10).
The PST Gen 2 3-15 and 5-25 I felt had better glass than the 5-25 SE, and overall fit an finish was better.
But the locking turrets (especially windage) IMO is a big advantage for the SE, and the turrets are easier to set.

I think the PST Gen2 3-15x44 is very hard to beat for under $1000, they used to be readily available around $600 and at that price it was a steal, up nearer $1000 you get into some more competition.

The Burris XTR3i 3.3-18x50 gets very good reviews but there are mixed views around whether the reticle is too fine for hunting purposes.
The Athlon Ares 3-18x50 has been out for a while but has very few reviews, the higher magnification model gets good reviews and is reported to have better glass than the PST Gen 2.

Personally I'd probably give the 3-18x50 Strike Eagle a go, it might give up a bit on the glass to the PST but the locking windage is a big advantage. If you don't want 34mm rings then the PST would be a good option and just tape the windage knob.

Hotmail

Lil-Rokslider
3-18x44 Strike Eagle 34mm FFP for $499 hard to beat when they go on sale at Focus Camera brand new and AA optics, Sierra (refurbs) while still retaining the VIP Vortex unconditional Lifetime Warranty also Online Outfitters currently $599. I prefer them over my Athlon Ares ETRs. They're pretty clear up to just shy of 17x. Lightest 34mm in it's class with a massive amount of total elevation travel if you don't use the zero stop. I have two of them to check for sample variance and both are the same.

I also have two new Athlon Ares ETR 3-18x50s and they just simply don't get along with my shooting eye just like my two Athlon Cronus UHD Gen 2 Binoculars which also make me feel really dizzy and nauseated looking through them. YMMV though. Bought two if each to check sample variance all pretty much equally dizzying to my eyes.

If you want the cheapest decent 4-16x44 FFP try an Arken EPL4 for around $300 or less if you shop smart. This one might even surprise you. I ended up with five of them in this magnification sample variance surprisingly close all were very good while couple were great like ZERO chromatic aberration at max magnification. About as clear as my multiple SWFA 3-15x42s maybe the better ones a little clearer but with far superior turrets and a zero stop.

Hotmail

Lil-Rokslider
Another worthwhile option to consider Meopta Optika 6 3-18x50 specifically with the MRAD1 FFP reticle currently $699 at B&H special order or use that price contact optics planet to price match sujce they have them ready to ship.

They are easy to their FFP reticle (MRAD1) even at theirs minimum magnification due to the well desingned Primary Arms-ish donut/horseshoe in the middle I have one in the 56mm and it's great unfortunately they were discontinued and sold out for $299 couple years ago at Sportsman's. I should have bought them at that time and paid $550 used for mine after they sold out a year later.

The FFP that us br far the easiest to see the FFP reticle on their lowest magnification are the Maven RS.4s I bought. One each in MILs and MOA and jith equally crystal clear it's unbelievable really and extremely easy to see at their 5x minimum magnification just like looking through SFP scopes. Maximum magnification not offensively large either.

I bought both of my Maven RS.4 5-30x56s FFP both have 15 yard close focus minimum dual red/green color illumination pre owned like new for a significant discount from private sellers.

They're clearer than my both of my Athlon Cronus UHDs and Tract Toric ELR and Filipino Burris XTR3i (HOLY CHROMATIC ABERRATION BATMAN!!!). They even look clearer than my Nightforce NX8s 4-32x50s however I only opened two out of three that I bought to compare. NX8 4-32x50 worth buying if your budget allows a d hit up dealers selling demos and they may even offer you brand new ones for demo prices if you just ask.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Element, Sightron, Meopta, Athlon all make great options. It's our pleasure, as a long standing supporting vendor here, to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks