Stupid question about scope setup

ssimo

WKR
Hi everyone, i am gonna mount my 4-32×50 NX8 on the defiance action of my custom rifle through some hawkins uktralight tactical. I always mounted scopes with nuts on the right (bolt and ejection side). I was watching a video about the top level from hawkins and they suggest to mount the scope with the nuts on the left in order not to have interference with the ejection.

I always mounted them on the right side in order not to have them get entangled or in the way when carrying the rkfle on the shoulder..

What is your approach to this critically important matter? XD

Last edited:

Matt5266

WKR
I always go opposite of the bolt handle. Just has always seemed what made the most sense to me. No way then that they could interfere with ejection, not that they would. But also keeps me from busting my knuckles or struggling to single feed it.

pbroski

Lil-Rokslider
I like to have them on the left, but ultimately how the rings align with each other will decide what side they go. I use those alignment bars and try the rings both ways. Usually one way ends up aligning better than the other.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’ve got one that are all on the left side and I have one that has one facing left and the other facing right. Mount them ever how you like.

Macintosh

WKR
Maybe try running some cartridges thru the gun to see if it interferes, and mount permanently based on that? No interference=mount how you want based on whatever criteria you have. If it interferes, you have your answer.

OP
ssimo

ssimo

WKR
I will try mounting them on the left and, if there will be any issue, i will try the other way around. Those hawkins rings seem to be really good quality, the scope sits in themike a glove and the level is well aligned.

They say to torque the nuts down to 65 in/lbs! My beta tool wrench goes only up to 6 Nm (53 in/lbs), do you think it is enough or better if i buy another wrench? This would be the first time I need so much torque and it would be bad because this is a quality wrench, not like the FAT wrench i used in the past

OP
ssimo

ssimo

WKR
Maybe try running some cartridges thru the gun to see if it interferes, and mount permanently based on that? No interference=mount how you want based on whatever criteria you have. If it interferes, you have your answer.
Good idea, I already did and there is no ejection issues, even when ejecting live rounds

OP
ssimo

ssimo

WKR
Avoid interfering with ejection port.

I don’t personally have a problem with them sticking out on the other side.
Understood, i never had rings with such big nuts, with these one there could remotely be some issues with the ejection. I highly doubt it but these nuts are pretty big. So it makes sense

OP
ssimo

ssimo

WKR
I always go opposite of the bolt handle. Just has always seemed what made the most sense to me. No way then that they could interfere with ejection, not that they would. But also keeps me from busting my knuckles or struggling to single feed it.
Why do you single feed? Only at the range i assume