School me on Scope ring torque

ID_Matt

WKR
Ok, so i have always just defaulted to 20 in lbs for my scopes but want to see what everyone else thinks.

Scenario 1: Hawkins ultra light tactical rings state 25 in lbs, and nightforce manual says to refer to the ring manufacture torque specs. This is with an NX8.

Scenario 2: Warne Mountain tech rings state refer to scope owners manual, trijicon tenmile owners manual says refer to scope manufactured recommendation.

I know certain scopes are pretty specific on torque specs. Does it make a difference in say, 4 screw vs 6 screw? Screw size? Which do you default to? Or does everyone just choose a number, be it 15,18, or 20, and just roll with it on everything? I know Form always mentions 18 in his scope evaluations. I have always just defaulted to 20.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I go with 25 in lbs with locktite. Not had an issue with Weaver, NF, SWFA, or S&B scopes. Most people say that is over torquing.

grfox92

WKR
Usually run with ring mfg recommendations.

Screw size, number of screws, friction, and ring width determine pressure.

15-18 in lbs is pretty typical. I use 15 in lbs on my lightweight magnum with zero issues. People will have way more problems over torquing - especially when using loctite (which isnt recommended).
Could you elaborate on not using loctite?

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

I generally do 18-20 with blue loctite. But I review what the ring oem says and don’t get to far off of that.

Loctite or any lube will change the resulting torque over a dry measurement. It’s not something I ever worry about.

Ring to rail = 25-30 in/lbs
Ring screws - 15-20 in/lbs

I used loctite in the past, but haven't done it in many years. Still use it to attach the rail to action, but not on the rings.

OP
ID_Matt

ID_Matt

WKR
Usually run with ring mfg recommendations.

Screw size, number of screws, friction, and ring width determine pressure.

15-18 in lbs is pretty typical. I use 15 in lbs on my lightweight magnum with zero issues. People will have way more problems over torquing - especially when using loctite (which isnt recommended).
So in scenario 1, you'd go with 25 in lbs on the Hawkins/nightforce?

Antares

WKR
I do 20 in/lbs dry on ring halves and 50 in/lbs dry ring to rail. Not necessarily because it’s best, but it’s easy to remember and seems to work fine.

OP
ID_Matt

ID_Matt

WKR
Another thing to add, used to always use the more liquid type blue loc tite in the red tube. Talked to someone at a screw store that turned me on to the chap stick type loc tite. Seems to have less "lubricity"

Antares

WKR
I quit using any type of thread locker because I disassemble and reassemble my stuff so often, I got sick of cleaning of the residue. I think dry torque works fine. I’ve never had anything come loose. However, I still loctite my rail screws.

amassi

WKR
So in scenario 1, you'd go with 25 in lbs on the Hawkins/nightforce?
Yes you won't hurt that nx8 with 25. If it were a vortex you'd break it and vortex would reccomend 15-18 "#. Scopes will slip at that range and won't slip at 25 so long as the rings and scope are decreased

huntnful

WKR
I put 50in lbs from ring to rail and 25in lbs from ring to ring. Blue loctite everything, even though it's probably not necessary. 20 in lbs is safe bet IMO