6.5-300 127gr. LRX Velocity/Sight-In Question

Agar426

FNG
Picking up my scope (Zeiss Conquest V6 3-18) today for my 6.5-300, so I should be ready to dial it in once I get it mounted up, etc. I am starting out with the 127gr. LRX Factory Ammo, and have a question regarding the velocity. My plan is to sight it in for 300 yd. zero, as I feel there isn't always time to dial, etc., and the trajectory of the round lends itself well to an extended zero, or even an MPBR zero. If I do have an extended shot, I can then use the reticle, or turret on the scope to be more precise. While range time will tell the truth, and I plan to run it through the chronograph, I did have a question regarding the ammo itself just to get my brain moving in the right direction before I dial it in. The Weatherby site and the side of the box lists the velocity as 3475fps, while every other site out there, including ballistic apps, the Zeiss app, etc, etc, show it as 3531fps. At 400 yards, this may not be an issue, but what about 500? 600? I prefer to shoot 'em at 100 yards, and will not go out of my way for a long range shot, but if 500 yards presents itself, and it's a good opportunity to make a clean shot, I want to know that the gun is doing its job. I realize that the difference in velocity isn't great, and the range time will account for any deviations, why the disparity in advertised velocity?

Anyhow, just thinking out loud......

S-3 ranch

WKR
Imo 2.5 high @ 100 is GTG to almost 400

“”increase MPBR, maximize velocity and ballistic coefficient. A 6.5-300 Wby. Mag. spitting a 127-grain Barnes LRX 3500 fps and zeroed 2.84 inches high at 100 yards won’t drop 4 inches below POA until 381 yards.””

OP
A

Agar426

FNG
Thank you for the feedback!

Any thoughts on why the disparity in velocity between what Weatherby says, and what everyone else says?

Overdrive

WKR
The velocity on the 6.5-300 boxes I have is listed at 3531fps for the 127. Just have to Chrono it and see what your rifle shoots it at. I set my rifle up with the 130 Scirocco and the velocity was 75fps slower than what the box said.

BjornF16

WKR
Set a 100 yard zero (valid at any DA) then dial for whatever point blank range you determine for the local conditions.

I wouldn't zero x.xx inches above at 100 yards...been there, won't do it again.

6.5x284

WKR
Set a 100 yard zero (valid at any DA) then dial for whatever point blank range you determine for the local conditions.

I wouldn't zero x.xx inches above at 100 yards...been there, won't do it again.

This. Zero for 100. If you insist on MPBR just dial it in and hunt with it dialed in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NSI