Stuff sacks, love 'em or hate 'em?

16Bore

WKR
Seems I gotta have one for everything, cookset, kill bag, water filter, and WTF else. Can't get along without them. Sure they might add some grams, but dang I gotta be organized.

How's about you fellas?

TEmbry

WKR
I have 4. Food, sleep system, clothes, and kill kit. Tent/Supertarp have their own stuff sacks. I too need to be organized and on a 50 lb pack 3 ounces doesn't make or break the trip

Outwest

WKR
I use the OR backcountry organizer for toiletries and med stuff. I just picked up a Mystery ranch medium flat bag and like that style much more than a stuff sack. Their shape makes it easier to stow in the pack IMO. I am going to pick up a few more for clothes, kill kit and maybe food/cook set. I also use a Sea To Summit compression bag for my sleeping bag, which is the bulkiest item I carry usually.

Trr15

WKR
I'm with you. I dig organization when it comes to my gear. I have a stuff sack or pullout for darn near everything.

I see no real need for them and feel plenty organized. The one reason I may get one is for my clothes to keep them compressed as I can so they take up less room.

Im still experimenting with different ones. Just bought some Kifaru ultra light pull outs.But thats just my OCD with organizing gear !

NHRedleg

Lil-Rokslider
Used a OR UL Z- compression for my sleep system and another for tent. It is incredible how small you can get your stuff with these. Just have to be careful and not use your foot when compressing.... might break some of the plastic guides lol, still worked ok even after that. Also, use the OR UL dry-sacks for clothing and food. I like the organization sacks provide. Will be getting more Z-compression sacks though for soft goods. They make so much room in your bag the slight weight penalty is worth it to me.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have as few as possible. Food, cook kit, sleeping bag if I need it small, kill kit, toiletries, etc. Weigh all your stuff sacks and zip locks and you'll be shocked how much they add to the pack.

stevenm2

Lil-Rokslider
I organize everything just because I hate looking for stuff. usually in the dark with a headlamp.
I use Mystery ranch load cells and sustainment pouches for cooking/stove food and a separate set ready for resupply or If I come out and head back in for meat.
I know there is a small weight penalty but it makes it worth it to know where everything is.

Colo4x4XJ

Lil-Rokslider
Man if I could figure out a way to not have to use so many damn stuff sacks but still be as organized. Seems like everything is in some sort of kit- 1st Aid Kit, Kill Kit, Shit Kit, Mess Kit etc. Takes me about 10 minutes to pack for a 7 day trip though, everything except sleeping bag and clothing is hanging in its respectable stuff sack on a hook in my closet. I went as far as to print labels for each sack so when I have 3 or four empty ones at camp that are similarly sized and colored I still know where each one belongs. I have a problem :)

ridgefire

WKR
I use them for pretty much everything. sleeping bag in one, tarp, bivy and pad in one, first aid kit in one, toothbrush and whatnot in one, kill kit in one. I just use a gallon zip lock bag for my food though.

colonel00

WKR
I use my DIY pullouts and love them for lightweight organization. Also, on my deer hunt I just returned from, it was cold with rain sleet and snow. Since we were using a floorless tent, everything was getting wet and it was great to have the little pouches to keep things dry and contained. As mentioned before, for such a minimal weight penalty, it's nice to have organization. Plus they can also double as a pillow.

jtw

WKR
I one for my sleep system and one for food. Other then that everything is stuffed in my bag at random. I actually should buy some small ones for my kill kit and essentials.

Manosteel

WKR
I use them for pretty much everything. sleeping bag in one, tarp, bivy and pad in one, first aid kit in one, toothbrush and whatnot in one, kill kit in one. I just use a gallon zip lock bag for my food though.

Same here, use kifaru pouches and silnylon draw bags for everything. Keeps everything organized and dry. One for - my sleep system, - food- kill kit - emergency kit - misc- hygiene - rain gear , etc. nice and neat.

Apparently I'm in the minority, or just cheap. I still use various sizes of zip lock bags for everything except food. I hang my food bag. I roll all my clothes, it makes for a smaller size and still fits in zip lock.

Interesting thread I feel like I am missing out on something. Honestly though I don't know what I would do with a few stuff sacks. I run a DT2 so My sleeping bag, pillow (in sleeping bag sack), and pad go in the bottom. I also have my meat bags, rope, first aid, and maybe a piece of clothing or my filter down there. In the top I put my tent, extra clothes, and food (in a big zip lock(s)). Small pouch that came with the bag holds my license, keys, wallet. The 2 outer pockets hold my toothbrush, tp, lights, batteries, knifes, and a few other things. It is all easy to get to and I never wonder where something is or have to dig for stuff.

Now that I think about it I would hate to have to pull out a whole stuff sack just to get to one item I needed.