Stuff overheard at the range or local gun shop

Was at a local gunshop/indoor range a while back... indoor range out to 100yds for rifles which I thought was pretty cool. The two fresh out of highschool kids beside me were trying to sight in their rifles for coyote hunting.

One kid could not get on paper at 50 yards but after twisting his elevation turret enough he finally started hitting the 24" x 18" paper at the 12oclock position... all the way up top. His buddy looked at it and said, "good enough, by the time it gets to 100 it'll drop right into the bullseye"

I just couldn't let that happen so I told them that he would still be way high at 100. He proceeded to get it "dialed in" and looked super frustrated. He looked over at me and asked if I would do it for him. "Sure thing" I said. After a few rounds I got him sighted in. He thanked me and proceeded to shoot 10 rounds at 100. The paper came back with about a 10" group in the center of the paper... him and his buddy looked at each other with with smiles of approval, gave the thumbs up and left to go coyote hunting :oops::oops::oops:
Ahhh, you've got to love youth!

There’s a state run rifle range up the road from me. Was shooting a pistol I had just bought on the 25 yard back stop.
Dude rolls up hog leg in one of those thigh rigs, no finger gloves, etc. Asks if he could shoot there as well. I said sure. Well he goes to his truck and brings back a prehung house door. Sets it up with some sort of WV engineering to hold it up.
Commences to shoot the shit out of it with some $100.00 .45.
Standing, kneeling on the ground laying on his back shooting over his head. Blows it to shit. Gathers it up say thanks and leaves.

My favorite is taking my marlin .45/70 ported barrel and shooting it from the covered bench. :D I always tell the redneck to put plugs in. And they don’t.
Touch off a round and they are like WTF man! I’m like I asked you to put ear pro on.
When I was young and dumb, I shot my 1911 through a 36" culvert at a pistol range without ear pro. One only makes that mistake once. "Ringing" does not capture the pain in my ears and the headache.

CorbLand

WKR
When I was young and dumb, I shot my 1911 through a 36" culvert at a pistol range without ear pro. One only makes that mistake once. "Ringing" does not capture the pain in my ears and the headache.
I may or may not have cracked a shot off at something out the passenger window, from the drivers seat with my AR...with no ear pro. Although, I dont know how much difference it would have truly made if I was wearing it.

Yoder

WKR
These were all at the public range and reasons why I don't go there much anymore.

I had a "Vietnam Sniper" tell me one time that I would warp the barrel on my bolt action Weatherby 300 win mag shooting it too fast.

I stopped a guy's wife from destroying her hand. She was holding a 9mm and had both her thumbs BEHIND the back of the slide. He showed her how to hold the gun, gave her 30 seconds of instruction, then turned her loose. I had to start yelling at her. I explained what was going to happen and she was not happy with her husband.

Had a guy with a duffle bag full of guns. Straight from NYC. Telling his woman and her kid a bunch of nonsense about shooting then unloaded his 12ga at the target 25 yards away. It was like watching someone shoot mortars. He walked the rounds into the target. I think he hit the ground 2 or 3 times.

Had a father and son shooting a revolver. The son looked around 70. Dad had to be 90. He was sitting at the table holding the revolver. His hand was shaking bad, and he had his finger on the trigger. He stood up to shoot and pointed the gun right at me while he was turning towards the target. I thought I was going to die.

Had a guy walk down range while I was shooting my rifle. Luckily, I saw him out of the corner of my eye before I shot. He thought it was ok since I was shooting the 50 yard target and he was putting his up at 25.
Just thought of a few more:

We were at a sporting goods store the night before opening day of rifle. A guy from NYC was buying a rifle. He bought a box of ammo, they bore sighted it and he was going hunting the morning without even shooting the gun. I really hope he didn't see anything.

Friend of mine was at a diner and some hunters from the NYC area were talking about their day. The one guy said he got off some good sound shots. My friend asked what do you mean "sound shots". You know, when you hears something and shoot at the noise. WTF?

It almost makes you question the second Amendment sometimes.

Last edited:

Yoder

WKR
Yep every Sportsmans warehouse in the country has one of those guys. Ours had a guy who claimed…

He rode a pedal bike across the Ho Chi Minh trail during Vietnam

Was shot out of a torpedo into Vietnam

Was personally asked by the president to interrogate saddam Hussein

Sole survivor of 7 helicopter crashes

Pulled the engine out of an old corvette on the side of a road by his bare hands to swap it

The list goes on and on and on.

I always told the other guys who worked there that one day he will die and we will see him on the news going over all of his accomplishments and the joke will be on us 😂
One of my good friends would always tell me these crazy stories. He was a super nice guy who rode Harley and loved his cats.
He told me he had two full auto tommy guns that he used to shoot in the desert in CA back in the day. That he was in Vietnam as a civilian setting up the coms for SOG guys in Laos. Survived a helicopter crash, along with a bunch of other crazy stories. How he had a tumor from being exposed to agent orange.
Had an export business where he sold all kinds of supplies to somebody in Columbia. He said he would smuggle emeralds back into the US, sewn into his jeans. He said their biggest shipment got seized by the Government and they were financially ruined.

I would always listen to him and think he was so full of it. There was no way any of this stuff could be true. We went over to his house for dinner one night and he broke out his photo album. EVERYTHING he said was true. He had all these pictures from Vietnam, pictures shooting his tommy gun with 5 shell casings in the air. He gave me his resume far a job we had open, and it listed his export company info. He actually wound up dying from Lymphoma from agent orange. It is actually pretty common. RIP Terry. I love you man.

Yoder

WKR
If you don't load the sled down with weight, it's fine to get a rough zero. I swap to open rack or tripod to fine tune. If a scope breaks on an unweighted sled, its a blessing cause it was gonna break anyway.
There was a guy who used to shoot a wooden stock bolt action 223 on the 50 yard range and used a led sled at the public range. He was there almost every time I went. Eventually it broke his stock.

KenLee

WKR
These were all at the public range and reasons why I don't go there much anymore.

I had a "Vietnam Sniper" tell me one time that I would warp the barrel on my bolt action Weatherby 300 win mag shooting it too fast.

I stopped a guy's wife from destroying her hand. She was holding a 9mm and had both her thumbs BEHIND the back of the slide. He showed her how to hold the gun, gave her 30 seconds of instruction, then turned her loose. I had to start yelling at her. I explained what was going to happen and she was not happy with her husband.

Had a guy with a duffle bag full of guns. Straight from NYC. Telling his woman and her kid a bunch of nonsense about shooting then unloaded his 12ga at the target 25 yards away. It was like watching someone shoot mortars. He walked the rounds into the target. I think he hit the ground 2 or 3 times.

Had a father and son shooting a revolver. The son looked around 70. Dad had to be 90. He was sitting at the table holding the revolver. His hand was shaking bad, and he had his finger on the trigger. He stood up to shoot and pointed the gun right at me while he was turning towards the target. I thought I was going to die.

Had a guy walk down range while I was shooting my rifle. Luckily, I saw him out of the corner of my eye before I shot. He thought it was ok since I was shooting the 50 yard target and he was putting his up at 25.
Just thought of a few more:

We were at a sporting goods store the night before opening day of rifle. A guy from NYC was buying a rifle. He bought a box of ammo, they bore sighted it and he was going hunting the morning without even shooting the gun. I really hope he didn't see anything.

Friend of mine was at a diner and some hunters from the NYC area were talking about their day. The one guy said he got off some good sound shots. My friend asked what do you mean "sound shots". You know, when you hears something and shoot at the noise. WTF?

It almost makes you question the second Amendment sometimes.
Yes sir I pissed many locals off with my views on legal carrying of handguns without some degree of mandatory training. Passed anyway, of course.
I've seen too much f'ery.

KenLee

WKR
There was a guy who used to shoot a wooden stock bolt action 223 on the 50 yard range and used a led sled at the public range. He was there almost every time I went. Eventually it broke his stock.
Sounds like he got the "goody" out of it.
I probably don't own a rifle that's been shot over 15 times in a sled, and that was without weight added.

I have always wanted to say that to someone that I see hunting the same area as me but can never bring myself to or think I could with a straight face. I know if someone told me that I’d find a new area to hunt. Haha

Bluefish

WKR
Reading through this thread I'm amazed I don't hear about more firearm accidents. There are some real idiots out there.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Funny after the fact but I am sure it wasn’t fun at the time. Guy I went to school with was party hunting in Iowa on opening day. Lots of Irish coffee and 5 or 6 guys piled in a beater 70’s sedan. While going between plots, someone touched off a 12ga in the middle of the back seat. Luckily it was pointed up and only blew a hole in the top of the car. Car stopped and everyone rolled out of the car like a fire drill with ears ringing.

CorbLand

WKR
Just remember this one.

Guy comes in with some chick. Don’t know if it’s a date, friends, whatever but it’s obvious he is trying to impress her with his knowledge. Ends up at the rangefinders, asks to see a Leica 1800B. Starts telling her about how cool the Leica is and all the stuff it will do. He uses his friends all the time and just needs to buy one even though it’s 800 bucks. Guy went on for a solid five minutes and then turns to me and asks what the big button on top is for?

IDVortex

WKR
I'm glad I hate people and am not a out going guy. And only goes to gun shops when I've researched what I wanted and go in and buy it. Went to a gun show for the first time in almost 15 years. The 10 bucks I spent I could've gained more by not spending it and just blowing my brains out vs listening or seeing the kind of folks who think they should have the right to own a gun.