Students report person with gun at high school

Rotnguns

WKR
High School students in Caldwell, Idaho reported another student when they saw him with a handgun. Story from Oct 10:

Got very little press coverage and most likely, only in the Treasure Valley area, and not much at that. Would seem to many as a nothing burger not worth reporting. But suppose the national press adopted a policy to take such stories and run with them? Play up the students as heroes for coming forward and reporting the other student with a handgun? I've got zero evidence to back this up, but if these sorts of successful interventions were more prominently reported nationwide, I think we'd see a positive effect.

OP
Rotnguns

Rotnguns

WKR
It all depends what your end goal is.

The article doesn't say much at all. They are investigating it.
Idaho Statesman has more detail but it's behind a paywall. The student ran from the school after being confronted by an administrator and was arrested by police in the community. No mention yet of where he got the handgun or any other background information. I don't know what motivates a mass shooter, but if attention is part of the amalgam, they will sure get it - weeks and sometimes months after the calamity. More media coverage of students doing the right thing and notifying authorities would hopefully demonstrate that such behavior is highly commendable and appreciated. No need to mention names, just provide coverage of examples showing that students can and will do the right thing to help protect their fellow students and schools.

My simple opinion. If we stopped referring to them as active shooters/snipers/gunmen, etc., in the press and on media and called them what they are, cowards and murderers something might change. If we refused to refer to them by their real names and let those fade into oblivion and be forgotten, it might have an impact.

Couple that with concentrating on press coverage of the victims, and as you said those heroic enough to stop these cowards and murderers, it too might have an impact.

Investigating agencies of these tragedies need full information of the suspect in order to do their jobs. IMO, we as the general public have little to no need for it.

Personally, I don't care to ever know the names of cowards and murderers who prey on the weak.

Unfortunately, I doubt wholesale agreement amongst media and press is possible. But I sure wish the idea would catch on. I'd think a company committing to taking this kind of stand in that kind of coverage would be a benefit to our society.

gbflyer

WKR
My simple opinion. If we stopped referring to them as active shooters/snipers/gunmen, etc., in the press and on media and called them what they are, cowards and murderers something might change. If we refused to refer to them by their real names and let those fade into oblivion and be forgotten, it might have an impact.

Couple that with concentrating on press coverage of the victims, and as you said those heroic enough to stop these cowards and murderers, it too might have an impact.

Investigating agencies of these tragedies need full information of the suspect in order to do their jobs. IMO, we as the general public have little to no need for it.

Personally, I don't care to ever know the names of cowards and murderers who prey on the weak.

Unfortunately, I doubt wholesale agreement amongst media and press is possible. But I sure wish the idea would catch on. I'd think a company committing to taking this kind of stand in that kind of coverage would be a benefit to our society.

I’d go one step further. No reporting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Rotnguns

Rotnguns

WKR

Agree 100%. Instead of: "Armed man in tactical gear enters school and opens fire," how about: "Coward with gun targets defenseless children in elementary school."

mt100gr.

WKR
As mentioned above, report on the victims and any that help end or stop these senseless acts.

Don't give the criminals the attention and fame they seek.

Some of you may be surprised how much more these types of things are being reported and handled, without the coverage. Seems IMO kids, especially in public schools, have very little tolerance for the ones who threaten/do these kinds of things. They want to feel safe at school, as they should, and they do a pretty good job reporting what they see/hear overall.

Agree on lack of exposure to the coward committing the act as that has a large part to do with why these psychopaths commit these acts.

Dos XX

WKR
Because lack of sensationalized reporting, and specifically not calling it tactical gear and/or assault type rifle, doesn't promote the agenda they want to promote?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I still remember a day back in high school when I was in calculus class and looked out the window and there was "Don" running through the cornfield with a handgun, and had two deputies chasing him. We were all like "run Don run". The next day he was back in school and that was that. Of course that was also back in the days when most the guys had guns hanging in the gun racks in the back window of their trucks in the school parking lot. Guns haven't changed much, but people sure have.

OP
Rotnguns

Rotnguns

WKR
I still remember a day back in high school when I was in calculus class and looked out the window and there was "Don" running through the cornfield with a handgun, and had two deputies chasing him. We were all like "run Don run". The next day he was back in school and that was that. Of course that was also back in the days when most the guys had guns hanging in the gun racks in the back window of their trucks in the school parking lot. Guns haven't changed much, but people sure have.
Yep, shotguns in the back rack in a pickup in the high school parking lot. After school, we jumped in our trucks and went dove hunting. Your last sentence hits the mark.

N8H

FNG
When my wife was a first year middle school teacher, they had an active shooter at her middle school, followed by multiple incidents of students with firearms at the school. Being that the students are minors, the names of the students aren't supposed to be public. To this day I don't know any of their names. I will say that having lots of press coverage, labeling them as something like active shooter, or talking about them as anything other than a student, doesn't help. I know public schools stuggle with funding year after year, but having an SRO at every school to handle stuff like this in a discrete manner seems like a must. Could have saved us a lot of therapy sessions and medication.

It’s what they do with dudes that run onto the football or baseball field during a televised game and it seems to help.

Here’s something I read that kind of takes the opposite approach. I get where the school is coming from but this isn’t going to help people want to come forward.