String Build

Here is my first practice string. For my first one I am happy.
It is 24 strands of 452x (green) and .014 Powergrip serving (brown). Next time I will do the tag ends tighter and do serving up higher just a little.

It is tag end built on a two post jig.
Any pointers is appreciated.
21089.jpeg

Reactions: Zac
OP
G
I know the loop is a little small for the Mathews V3. But the first real string will go on a very used and abused Martin Warthog (see below). It isn't worth much right now. All the bearings need replaced. They were rusty. The bearing part number starts with fr6 (see below )That should get anyone close enough to buy some new ones.
So, this Martin Warthog is what I am building my first string for. It has cat2 cams. And those smaller loops will fit on the cat2 cams.

IMG_20240617_155402837.jpg

IMG_20240519_155029593.jpg

IMG_20240622_114130384.jpg

IMG_20240607_153310445_HDR.jpg

OP
G
That’s awesome man that’s the one thing I can’t do yet…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you so much! That is encouraging.
Honestly, it isn't difficult. I spent the last month building the jig. Then I follow Bitch Baker Archery, and it's all cake!👍

Beendare

WKR
The hardest part for me with building these strings was to get a feel for how much they stretch initially to get them to fit right without having to put a bunch of twists in them.

24 strands, wow beefy, you could lift a car with that string.

OP
G
The hardest part for me with building these strings was to get a feel for how much they stretch initially to get them to fit right without having to put a bunch of twists in them.

24 strands, wow beefy, you could lift a car with that string.
Thank you Beendare,

Yes, I am wondering how exact I have to be to get them not to require twists when installing...
That is why I am going with 452x for my first strings. Once I get the feel of that, I will switch to Bloodline fiber string material and eventually try out their pure dyneema string. The dyneema is supposed to stretch more and have different texture...
Later I will put the formula I am using for the 452x length and twist. The Bloodline fibers will use a different formula.
But correct me if I am wrong, I think more dyneema means a softer feel at the sacrifice of a tiny bit of speed.
I heard Jake Kaminski, recurve competition shooter, likes the soft feel...
So that is one of my goals.

Also, along with getting the length and twists right, a good quality string shouldn't have any peep rotation. So, I will keep you all informed on how well I do by testing all these things after stringing the Warthog.
Exciting fun stuff!!

Beendare

WKR
The 452x is excellent for a compound as its very low stretch…but too low stretch for a trad bow, IMO. i’m sure it would work, but the long-term stresses could cause problems in a trad bow.
I use 452 in my compound as thats what I’ve had for a long time. It has been a decade since I have actually done much shooting with a compound and made strings for them.

I have used BCYX, D97 and 652 for my recurve strings. There is a slight difference to the sound after the shot between those different strings but its minor. If there is a speed difference, it’s not all that noticeable with a Hunting weight arrow. In other words, all about the same. I do like the 652 best in my recurves. I use 12 strands in a recurve string and back the serving with 3 extra strands to fit my noks, I also add 4 to the bundle at tips.

Bownut400

FNG
It is 24 strands of 452x (green) and .014 Powergrip serving (brown). Next time I will do the tag ends tighter and do serving up higher just a little.

View attachment 727404
I would say you have a good start, just keep tinkering. Not sure who on here posted but our formula for twist to string length is .012" shrink per twist

View attachment 727404
I'd say you have a good start, I will add to your thread when i get some time.

OP
G
Thank you all for your information for me to improve.

I just finished the center serving on the practice string. It took me a few times to stop breaking the center serving. I was pulling to hard on the ends when tightening the back serving.
According to NockOnArchery, my nock is a little tight.
I am thinking for my next practice string to go down to 22 strands of 452x and check nock fit, as well as get better at the loops.

IMG_20240624_102323042_HDR.jpg

OP
G
Here is Butch Bakers formula for twist and post setting length...

Finished length x 0.67 = number of twists

Then plug that number of twists into:

Number of twists x 0.012 + Finished Length = initial post setting

Here is Baker doing it on a calc and laying out string:

OP
G
The 452x is excellent for a compound as its very low stretch…but too low stretch for a trad bow, IMO. i’m sure it would work, but the long-term stresses could cause problems in a trad bow.
I use 452 in my compound as thats what I’ve had for a long time. It has been a decade since I have actually done much shooting with a compound and made strings for them.

I have used BCYX, D97 and 652 for my recurve strings. There is a slight difference to the sound after the shot between those different strings but its minor. If there is a speed difference, it’s not all that noticeable with a Hunting weight arrow. In other words, all about the same. I do like the 652 best in my recurves. I use 12 strands in a recurve string and back the serving with 3 extra strands to fit my noks, I also add 4 to the bundle at tips.
Thank you Beendare for pointing out that 452x isn't recommended for traditional bow.

I should probably describe my bow setup. Here it is,
The Martin Warthog I am building for is a 70 lb limb compound bow with, I think, 27.5" draw length, but those Cat2 cams are adjustable. But I am hoping I don't have to try to get those screws out.
And the arrows I am using are Gold Tip Velocity XT 300s at 29.25" length with a 125 grain tip. I haven't weighed the arrow yet, but it should be somewhere around 430 grains give or take a few... That is a nock from those arrows, above.

OP
G
Here is Bloodline fibers web site calculator for their string length. I think their formula is slightly different but I don't know how, yet. Because, if you change from vec99 to Bloodline99, it changes the length.
But it is a calc, and they aren't showing the formula. The only thing they say is it has a different amount of strands. I will figure it out later. Since, I am not using Bloodline fibers til next year. It doesn't matter yet.
But maybe somebody knows why.

Bloodline fibers string length calc:

Last edited:
OP
G
Also, Baker said on his part2 math video above that for an 80" string subtract 1/4" cuz creep in wax and stuff. And that serving could throw string by 1/16" - 1/8".

Bownut400

FNG
Thank you all for your information for me to improve.

I just finished the center serving on the practice string. It took me a few times to stop breaking the center serving. I was pulling to hard on the ends when tightening the back serving.
According to NockOnArchery, my nock is a little tight.
I am thinking for my next practice string to go down to 22 strands of 452x and check nock fit, as well as get better at the loops.

View attachment 728218

We use .018 angle majesty or .018 power grip for most center serving . Cutting strands will help as well but the more stabile the string the better. That said Bowtechs have real narrow cam tracks so we will either reduce strands count or use .009 power grip. Colors have a big influence on the diameter of the strands as well. Flo colors have the most die so they are thicker. Just an adder to your thread.

OP
G
We use .018 angle majesty or .018 power grip for most center serving . Cutting strands will help as well but the more stabile the string the better. That said Bowtechs have real narrow cam tracks so we will either reduce strands count or use .009 power grip. Colors have a big influence on the diameter of the strands as well. Flo colors have the most die so they are thicker. Just an adder to your thread.

Awesome info. Thank you.

My bows are for hunting, so for now, green and brown....
But come next year! I love the florescent green and yellow! Definitely going that direction for the off-season!👍
Thank you

OP
G
My thoughts on 452x strand count and serving thickness... First, I only have on hand powergrip.014 and .018. Later on I will add to those, but I believe I have plenty of flexibility for total string thickness. BCYs strand count recommendation for 452x is 20-24 strands.
I think my nock will be close with 22 strands and .018 serving. We will soon find out If it is too small, I plan on simply continuing the serving line underneath the serving wrap....and if it is too big, I will drop down to the .014.
I haven't measured the cat2 cams tracks or old string yet, but I will be comparing those too.

Anyway, I think this is going good! I appreciate all your help. Good things to come!

Beendare

WKR
How old is that Martin Warthog?

Have you been shooting it much?

My thought here is that once you shoot a bow made in the last decade, you will dump that like a hot potato…and not to devote too much time tinkering with that old dog unless you have somekind of nostalgia thing.

OP
G
How old is that Martin Warthog?

Have you been shooting it much?

My thought here is that once you shoot a bow made in the last decade, you will dump that like a hot potato…and not to devote too much time tinkering with that old dog unless you have somekind of nostalgia thing.
Hi Beendare,
That Martin is a 2010. The last time I shot it was about 2015 in a different state. It has huge sentimental value though.
So part of its stories go something like this. My Dad and uncle gave me that bow during a difficult time in my life that is now over. I shot three animals with it, two big game. Then I had to move to a different state and went through more of life's trials, which again, are now over. But at the time, I knew bad stuff was about to hit the fan. So I prayed over it and stashed it in the mountains, hidden. It was in a fairly sealed case. I wasn't able to physically go back and get it for about 3 years. And I didn't know anyone I could trust in that state. But my prayers were answered, and it was still there when I was blessed by the Lord to go get it back. And it was in decent shape, considering. I was also given a 30,000 car. So I came back with my bow!
Then, last year my Dad passed, went to Heaven. And about a month in a half ago my uncle passed and met Dad in Heaven. After that, my uncle's son mentioned it wouldn't take much to get it going. And after I thought about it, I agreed. So instead of making a string this year for my newer 2021 Mathews V3, which has a new GAS string on it and is tuned for hunting in 2 months. I decided the Old Warthog needs a new string anyways. And I am learning...
It isn't a bad bow. It has older technology. I upgraded to a roller cable slide. For only $20, I will replace all the bearings. And a new string that I will build will be about ten bucks with the speed nocks.

So yes, you are right. I love my V3 and am hunting with that this year. But it will make a good backup bow and an extra for family shooting parties, etc. And it's great practice for string building. I think I will start building strings for family too, if they want.
👍

Edit:
Ohp, I need to correct myself. I shot it last year but I wasn't comfortable with the bearings. Before that, it was 2015. Anyway, cheers

👍

Last edited: