Stretch my Hanwag Alaska

gostovp

WKR
I have a pair of Hanwag Alaska GTX that for some reason are rubbing a bit on my pinky toes now… don’t know if the boot shrunk a bit or my foot widened or what… anyway, think I would have any luck using one of those ring stretchers on it to try and make some room in this area? ( area circled in red in pic)

I would use a Ring stretcher like this one

Attachments

• IMG_8466.jpeg
    IMG_8466.jpeg
    536.3 KB · Views: 23

matthewmt

WKR
Idk but I've been curious about something similar on my briksdal in the to box but more to do with height. Wondered if a heat gun would help due to the rubber rand ?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Yes those will work. Or get a wooden stretcher to do the whole toe box on the boot and they come with a metal plate to put on the side of the boot were it rubs your little toe.
It might take a few times to work.

I used some rubbing alcohol and water mix to spray on the boots. Be careful with heat on the rubber. These boots can have glue that's heat activated and will make them come apart. Same reason not to leave them in a hot truck.

IMG_3422.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
Thanks. I ordered that ring stretcher to try. I don’t really need to change the volume of the entire toe box, just need to punch/stretch that one little area….
You think that ring stretcher will work on the rand area? It’s pretty tough/thick rubber/plastic

dtrkyman

WKR
I filled my Asolo 520 with water, tried a bag inside first with poor results. Then I just filled them with water and left in freeze a few days.

Definitely worked.

I had neglected treating them for a long time and they shrunk a bit.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
I filled my Asolo 520 with water, tried a bag inside first with poor results. Then I just filled them with water and left in freeze a few days.

Definitely worked.

I had neglected treating them for a long time and they shrunk a bit.
So did you fill them full up to the collar or just the foot portion?

dtrkyman

WKR
Yes. to the collar.

I also cleaned and treated with bick lp prior to the freeze.

Hunted a week in the snow this past January and they still kept my feet dry, great boot just stiffer and heavier than I prefer.

Last edited:
No it didn’t.
I had to stretch my Alaska 100’s and they are full grain. took me two weeks and a daily application of conditioner, and a couple cranks on the stretcher each day , but now they are perfect. Might need to drill an additional location on the stretcher to move the metal plugs.

uncastan

FNG
I have been seeing a lot of complaints on hanwags toe box shrinking. We know they're also a narrow boot. Anyone gone with the wide versions instead?

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
I have been seeing a lot of complaints on hanwags toe box shrinking. We know they're also a narrow boot. Anyone gone with the wide versions instead?
I’m not sure if the toebox shrunk or not, as I think my foot has changed. I actually had to order my Brooks Ghost running shoes in wide as the D width were rubbing on my pinky toes, and the Timberland chukkas I’m wearing right now are rubbing my pinky toes (they didn’t when I bought them). The Hanwag Alaska in Wide are not all that wide, I would say they are a D+ width. I have some Hoffman Explorer 11.5 Wides that are wider.
Funny thing is I don’t really measure Wide on the Brannock (I’m between a D and E width according to that ) but my feet are super flat and my toes tend to splay out pretty good especially when weight is applied to my foot