Hanwag Alaska GTX Questions

For those who have had Hanwag Alaska boot, does the toe box/forefoot loosen up any after they get broken in? I have my size in a 10.5 D and a 10.5 wide, and I am trying to make a decision between the two. The 10.5 D feels a bit tight on my big toe, but I have experienced that part on other boots loosen up over time. I am just wondering if others have experienced the same with the Hanwag Alaska? I have also had a slightly wider last boot fit good for a while and then stretch out and become too wide and allow for slippage.

Any and all experience you can share is appreciated.

Thanks

OP
B
Anyone have these and experience any toe box loosening after break in?

Decker9

WKR
I’m on my last season or two with the same boots. I actually think my toe box may have hardened up just a hair, the whole toe section is super stiff. I haven’t found the toe box to loosen up, I actually think it may have shrunk a little. They have been wet and dried multiple times over the 4-5 years though, sometimes by the fire.

From the ankle and up though, I found them to stretch a little when wet and are now pretty sloppy in the ankle support. The toe box has always seemed to stay solid though.

thbrock07

FNG
I’m on my last season or two with the same boots. I actually think my toe box may have hardened up just a hair, the whole toe section is super stiff. I haven’t found the toe box to loosen up, I actually think it may have shrunk a little. They have been wet and dried multiple times over the 4-5 years though, sometimes by the fire.

From the ankle and up though, I found them to stretch a little when wet and are now pretty sloppy in the ankle support. The toe box has always seemed to stay solid though.
I agree with this -- I wouldn't expect the toe box to stretch. Really comfy boots, though. Something in between the normal and wide sizes would be perfect for my foot but as long as I don't use socks that are bulky in that area I've found the normal to be very comfortable in the toes even though they're on the tight side. Great boot!

Anyone have these and experience any toe box loosening after break in?
Yes they are an all leather boot so they will stretch and mold. With that said it’s a degree of stretch not absolute. My Yukons stretched out, but took some miles and oil

OP
B
All this has helped a lot. I think I am going to stick with the 10.5d, but just so I know I am going to try an 11d. The wides are just too wide in the instep area, although they feel good in the toes.

I have enjoyed both the Hanwag Alaska GTX’s and the Mountain Lites for years. Absolutely love the boots . I have wide feet, but was not put into wides after professional fitting . I originally had a pair for years and then purchased another from Lathrope & Sons who properly fit me for them and it made a difference.

I found the foot box to most likely remain the same-ish , but if anything mine didn’t shrink . My pairs have broke in very nicely and at no time have I ever found them to have become loose, sloppy, or had support breakdown. My breakdowns were all my own doing from hard inappropriate use that would not be considered normal or expected, more like damage.

Will purchase again even if looking at a newer boots as I know it’s good to go. 15 yrs exp with a product with no problems is a win for me.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
My experience is similar to @Decker9. After a few long seasons the leather on the toe box is pretty hard. I typically clean and wax with gainers a couple times a year. Been a great boot lasted tons of hard miles.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

My experience is similar to @Decker9. After a few long seasons the leather on the toe box is pretty hard. I typically clean and wax with gainers a couple times a year. Been a great boot lasted tons of hard miles.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
I agree, my toe box’s have not loosed up, perhaps the interior leather, but the form stays much like a steel toe , which in my mind for that kind of boot is a good thing.

Yes, the appropriate cleaning, conditioners, and waxing are a must and these boots will be with you. Put them on heat , dry out and crack , will ruin like any neglected baseball glove ever.

Bball89

FNG
I have a buddy who got the wide Alaska boots. He is a massive guy with huge feet. He regrets getting the wide ones. If they are too wide for him, I can’t imagine the foot they are designed for. He said they fit well at first and then became sloppy after putting some miles on them.

OP
B
This is great information. Thank you all for the help. If they havnt necessarily softened up any, would any of you you suggest providing some extra length? In 10.5d I have about a half a thumb in the front of my toe when standing on the insoles… but I have crooked feet so it’s not a perfectly accurate measure. I ordered an 11 to try tho. These boots seem to be constructed very well and I definitely want to make them work.

OP
B
I have enjoyed both the Hanwag Alaska GTX’s and the Mountain Lites for years. Absolutely love the boots . I have wide feet, but was not put into wides after professional fitting . I originally had a pair for years and then purchased another from Lathrope & Sons who properly fit me for them and it made a difference.

I found the foot box to most likely remain the same-ish , but if anything mine didn’t shrink . My pairs have broke in very nicely and at no time have I ever found them to have become loose, sloppy, or had support breakdown. My breakdowns were all my own doing from hard inappropriate use that would not be considered normal or expected, more like damage.

Will purchase again even if looking at a newer boots as I know it’s good to go. 15 yrs exp with a product with no problems is a win for me.
When you had them properly fitted with Lathrop and Soms, did they put you in a different size than you were before?

Bowrunner81,

I normally wear an 11 running shoe. I believe with these boots the literature you do a goofey down size maybe . Lathrop & Sons had me go up a half size ( off what would be my running shoe for example) to an 11.5 ( US) and then used their foot bed.

This is not with their custom service either. I have spent a lot of time on the phone with both brothers over the years, many many times picking their brains. I don’t know them personally from a hole in the wall other than business and they have no idea who I am.

OP
B
Im going to try the 11d then and that may do the trick. Thanks a lot for the help!

Im on my second pair. After 4 years my first pair has shrank to the point I gave them away. The forefoot area is where I feel it. My second pair is now feeling similar. They only have a season of use. Make sure to not dry them by a wood stove or in the sun. I will say my first pair was my best/favorite boot Ive ever had! These boots are weird because they dont wear out. I used my first pair for work and took on over dozen hunts from AZ, CO, WY, MT, ID and AK. Im going to try a pair in wide and hope they work because I feel they are an outstanding boot. Best Ive found for an “all around boot”.

uncastan

FNG
Any updates on those 11 you tried?

I'm in a similar position with the tatra tops & considering the Alaskas.

OP
B
I ended up not keeping either. I think a 10.5d may have worked if the toes opened up some, but it was tight and I didn’t want to risk it. The 11 just felt a little long for me. Bummer because it’s a very nice boot. I did, however, snag a pair on sale for my wife and she loves them.