Strangest/Coolest Sightings You Have Had While Outdooors

D

david long

I have spent an unbelievable amount of time in the mountains over the past 30 years. During this time, I have been fortunate to have seen a lot of cool things. Here are my top four:

1. A doe mule deer with a toilet seat around her neck. Yes, I know that is hard to believe, and Rick Seymour still thinks I was hitting the bottle a little hard that day, but it is true. It was on the Grey's River road where there are a lot of toilet seats nailed to logs at various camp sites. I assume she must have been feeding and stuck her head through it and when she lifted her head up, she lifted the seat as well. I am sure it didn't stay on her long, but it was a pretty wild sight! Still wish I could have got my camera out of my pack for a snapshot before she disappeared but no such luck.
  2. Five grown mountain lions in one group. They were walking down a ridge and my hunting partner and I watched them bed down in some cliffs. Pretty cool seeing this many grown lions together. My hunting partner did some research on it and it was determined that what we witnessed was a very rare sighting.
  3. A wolverine. This was in the Salt River Range in Wyoming. It was on a solo trip and I when I returned home I told my good friend and he called BS on it. I took him back in the following weekend and guess what.....he is a believer now! We found him in almost the same exact spot.
  4. A mountain goat that was 50 air miles from the nearest location they are known to inhabit. This was also in the Salt River Range.
I have seen a lot of other cool things but these are the four that stand out in my mind. What kind of strange/cool things have you guys seen while in the outdoors?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I watch a bobcat stalk a pine marten. The bobcat jumped on top of the marten and it was assholes and elbows for about 10 seconds. That little pine marten beat the hell out of that bobcat. Morel of the story. Don't #$*% with a weasel!

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I glassed up an old Indian looking dude sitting in his underwear with a six pack of beer next to him hunting from a rocky perch. Probably not that special, but I was 14 miles from the nearest trailhead. I eventually met this guy a couple years later and he was a hardcore horseman and didn't care a bit about what anyone thought of what he did or how he sit it.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I glassed up an old Indian looking dude sitting in his underwear with a six pack of beer next to him hunting from a rocky perch. Probably not that special, but I was 14 miles from the nearest trailhead. I eventually met this guy a couple years later and he was a hardcore horseman and didn't care a bit about what anyone thought of what he did or how he sit it.

I like that guy. This is a great thread.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
A couple years back, my buddy and I saw him travel a quarter mile in 7 hours. He was about a half mile from his camp, but he had been was at the end of the 14 mile trek in. We thought he was going to die. Tough dude, he made it, but never left his camp to hunt.

OP
R

rebecca francis

I watched a doe chase off a black bear on a bait. The bear took off running and never looked back.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rebecca's story reminded me of how nature is opportunistic. I watched my buddy shoot a buck, which blew the entire lower jaw off. The buck started bawling something only heard in horror movies. Within a minute, a small black bear tracked that sound down and started pawing that buck around. This small bear of about 125 pounds would swipe at that buck and get him over 5 feet tall manzanita. My buddy wanted that buck and went over and got between that buck and bear. He didn't want to shoot the bear, so he shot in some brush nearby and off the bear went. Then my buddy turned around and killed the buck. This was the first time I had seen this behavior, and since we have seen two more instances where wounded bucks called in bears. This all took place in the Trinity Alps in Norther California. It was if the bears even knew when deer season started.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I once saw a doe antelope running with a herd of mule deer in the forested high country around Bozeman, MT. That was odd.

OP
D

david long

I was wondering how long it would take for the first Sasquatch sighting to be posted....:)

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I watched a ram butt heads with a tree trunk just north of I 70.

Saw an eagle pick up a blacktail fawn and drop it from high enough in the air that it broke its legs.

When I lived in Minnesota we filmed a musky eat a full grown duck.

MattEastman

Lil-Rokslider
Before I was old enough to hunt, my dad and I went out after school to go fill his antelope doe tag. We spotted a doe and a buck out feeding and moved in on them. When we got close they fed out of a ravine about 100 yards. My dad took his shot and double lunged the doe. The buck and doe ran off about 50 yards. Keep in mind it was during the peak of the rut. The doe started to wobble and just then the buck mounted her for a few seconds. He did it again and when he "dismounted" for the second time, the doe fell over dead!

I have not witnessed a lot of unique things, but I heard strange voices while bow hunting elk back deep while hunting with one of my buddies. I thought I was hearing things but he heard them as well. It was kind of a weird experience.

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
Rooster pheasant at about 10K, 6 miles from the truck and prolly a good 30+ miles to any "town".

MJ from Oregon

Lil-Rokslider
I witnessed a Blacktail buck shed his antlers.

Not that unusual but cool nun the less......................Watched a fawn Blacktail be born.

Last edited:
I photographed and sent the pictures to the DOW of an Antelope standing at the edge of a rock scree in CO Unit 33. They said it was lost and must have come up and over the Flattops from Meeker....Hello Garmin!!

Gman

WKR
Aron has never seen Bigfoot because bigfoot is scared of Aron, seriously did you see that pic of him before lost 65 lbs

I think we should start a thread of all the Aron-isms in the vein of Chuck Norris.

And since he's so bada** and animals shoot themselves when they see him I'm not starting that thread! Someone else?