Strange Observation in Idaho

sneaky

"DADDY"
I never in my quote said anything about it being "our land". Nor did I state we should keep people from it. I simply point out that there is an abnormal number of out of state hunters, specifically CA/OR/WA, who have policies in their home states which make it incredibly difficult for them to hunt there. They are collectively coming to ID to fill their tags. So why should ID be in essence supporting their states mismanagement of their herds and hunting access by providing them a low cost always on alternative? Nothing will improve in their state and the herd in my home state will suffer.

Also note my proposal was directed at residents of states that have Elk/Mule deer so not really impactful to most hunters from back east. Also the mantra of "don't complain because you have it better than we do, but we ruined ours and are now going elsewhere, but don't complain" sounds very silly.
Let's see, 10% of tags go to NR, and success rates are 10-12%, and you wanna blame THEM for your problems? Laughable if you weren't so serious about it. Might as well tell all the tourists to stay out too, since every state has trees, rivers, lakes and what not. Idaho residents bitch when their license goes up $3. Last I checked, a good number of leftover NR deer and elk tags are purchased by residents as second tags. Yep, NR sure are the problem. Don't worry though, your state legislature is gonna put you guys on a draw system and then you'll be begging for this system back.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
My proposal was simply an increased tax for residents of states that already have Elk/Mule deer hunting. I originally proposed something in the $500 to $1000 range. Yet I think, as you mentioned, a matrix could be devised based on the feasibility of drawing in a given state. I would say for a state like AZ where getting a tag is neigh impossible then it should be at the higher end. States like MT or CO which does have good out of state it would be way less say $200. As NM is a full on draw with no points I could see them not paying anything extra as my odds are as good as any one elses. For states like CA/WA/OR/UT who do a horrible job they should pay $500+.
Your plan is stupid, just so you know.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Dude Idaho is one of the cheaper elk tags for a NR to buy how much is a WA elk, $800 or so?... it's bs that Idaho is everyone's fall back state because their state screws them out of your own elk. I have stated before I would gladly pay quadruple my resident tag if they would cut back on NR tag allowances. I apply to other states and plan on hunting other states, but one common theme is that Idaho seems way easier to get tags for the other states that I apply or plan to hunt in. No one expects to not see another person while out but when their are vehicles stacked at nearly every trailhead and 1 or 2 vehicles being from Idaho. I feel that's a problem,
That's because the residents are road hunting, not parked at trail heads where, you know, they have to walk to find an elk. Idaho is about on par license cost wise with Colorado, yet Idaho limits NR tag numbers.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The cost difference is around $130 bucks, so maybe 1 or two tanks of gas or what most people pay for 1 month of having a cell phone and we have Roosevelt Elk as well, something you don't. Pretty minimal cost difference and OTC in both. Come chase big roosevelt bulls OTC every year and enjoy a shared public resource.
I'd love to get in that thick stuff and chase Rosies

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've been of the opinion lately that Idaho should mirror the management practices of their neighboring states where the borders touch, as long as those management practices seem to be working well for the herds in said neighboring state. A good example is extreme Eastern Idaho along the Wyoming border. Wyomings practices have produced one of the premier mule deer destinations in the country, and the elk herds aren't to shabby either. The habitats and ecosystems are one and the same, but there's a line where one states laws end and the others begin. Most of these animals share the same winter ranges and their genetics are the same. However, there is a huge difference in management. Hunting the Wyoming turf is a far more rewarding endeavor than hunting the Idaho side. It could be the same along the Utah and Nevada borders. And yes, the tag fees for these areas should be considerably higher, perhaps also mirroring the neighboring state.
You realize that a NR any bull tag in Utah is only $385, license is $65. Can we get Idaho to drop their prices in line with that?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Here's information, Out of State Elk tags and General deer tags are SOLD OUT for non-residents for 2017

Nonresident elk tags sold out for 2017, deer selling fast | Idaho Fish and Game

Out of state hunters, my opinion, this was predicted for this year. If they do not predict or see heavy sales for archery season they offer residents a second tag at $100 discount (normally have to pay full NR price). This year they did not discount sighting earlier they were anticipating selling out. With some people obviously not getting a tag because they are no sold out, even though I don't see that being a lot of people because it's late in the year already. With this news, it might spur faster sales next year and sell out faster because of fear of not getting a tag.
Lots of those tags are bought by residents as second tags.

I see a lot of NR mentioning that Idaho residents can purchase NR tags, usually at the non-resident price. Is there a problem with that? After all, it is about money.....right?

Gobbler36

WKR
That's because the residents are road hunting, not parked at trail heads where, you know, they have to walk to find an elk. Idaho is about on par license cost wise with Colorado, yet Idaho limits NR tag numbers.

Yeah rightfully so, I can't imagine what it'd be like if we didn't. Thank god for that 10%

Set caps for residents and non-residents for elk AND deer for every unit or zone that the herds can handle for whatever the objective is for said unit or zone. Seems pretty simple to me.

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
If you are a NR that hunts Idaho or are thinking of giving us a try, please realize our frustrations. We could use help from NR hunters too and I welcome any help we can get. Don't think I want NR help in limiting NR opportunity, I want help in getting the latitude that F&G deserves to properly manage our big game herds so that everyone involved has more opportunity and a little better chance of taking home some organic protein each season.

I have sent a few letters to the legislators ON BEHALF OF IDAHO residents...even though I'm a NR. When I see Idaho residents pissing and moaning about their observations of NR's invading their territory it makes me regret doing so. Good grief, most often its the residents buying second tags that make the quotas sell out.

Do you have any info with hard numbers that could enlighten us as to how many residents are purchasing NR tags compared to NR's purchasing NR tags? I'm genuinely interested in that data, not trying to fight. I've tried to find that data on several occasions and been unsuccessful.

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have any info with hard numbers that could enlighten us as to how many residents are purchasing NR tags compared to NR's purchasing NR tags? I'm genuinely interested in that data, not trying to fight. I've tried to find that data on several occasions and been unsuccessful.

You have to look at the quota list on August 1st. I personally only track a couple units for deer and elk but usually take a snap shot of the quotas that day. I'll see if I can dig it up. I keep track of it in my outlook calendar but it might purge itself after 9 months.

I understand that, but I don't think very many people know that the leftover quota tags are available to residents and NR alike. I'm just interested to see if there's a way to find out exactly how many Idaho residents are purchasing NR tags. I know several people that do, but my interest is now piqued.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Idaho first offered a second tag in 2003. They sold out and sold out for several years in a row when this was done. I kept track every year and come the first day you could buy a second tag which was then 8/31 I was buying. Then the stock market tanked and wolves became an issue. They then did not sell out for several years. They then offered a savings if purchased by a certain date for about three years. For the last several years come 8/1 there have been about 5000 tags remaining. Not sure how long this will continue but I for one will continue to buy 2👍

Broomd

WKR
Yeah rightfully so, I can't imagine what it'd be like if we didn't. Thank god for that 10%
Agreed 100%! I figured I'd read here and find Sneaky whining about something Idaho-related. I honestly don't know a 'road hunter' here in Idaho although they do exist, I've seen ID plates. Most I see are from surrounding states, particularly Washington.

I know one thing, henceforth I'll be much more proactive with state regs and changes that I can influence.
And we've never bought second deer tags, but wife and I will be purchasing two for next Fall. If we fill them fine, if not, it will help with the state coffers and keep the resource here.

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider
I mean...I'm glad I'm not a true Washingtonian, I just live here. I'm originally from California :)

BullElk

FNG
They (our elected legislators) have demanded thousands more "for sale" landowner tags, more big game crop depredation money, and on and on. The leadership in our legislature is dominated by ranchers and big landowners who want the F&G to, in effect, create state-funded private land outfitting businesses for each of them and their business associates.
THIS IS A HUGE ISSUE RIGHT NOW!!! be pro-active and attend the mtgs and do the online surveys R and NR alike. I'm highly opposed to the F&G issuing asinine amounts of cow tags/depredation permits(more this year than years past) to wipe out herds and get elk within their(rancher influenced) objectives. they need to take their farms the hell on out of elk country or just deal with the crop damage.

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
THIS IS A HUGE ISSUE RIGHT NOW!!! be pro-active and attend the mtgs and do the online surveys R and NR alike. I'm highly opposed to the F&G issuing asinine amounts of cow tags/depredation permits(more this year than years past) to wipe out herds and get elk within their(rancher influenced) objectives. they need to take their farms the hell on out of elk country or just deal with the crop damage.

I think I'm actually ok with depredation tags. It's the reimbursement program that only requires "reasonable access" with no real definition of what that access might entail. Might just be 15 good buddies allowed to hunt the ranch. Any state legislator willing to fight that battle has my vote. Heck, maybe I'll just run on that platform :cool:

I'm not aware of the F&G requiring any access at all for a farming operation to be eligible for crop depredation reimbursement. I've spoken with several hay growers in my area that receive payments that do not allow any public access at all.