New member from Oregon

Hello all, been listening to the rokcast for a while now and figured I would join the forum. I’m 31 years old and live in Oregon. I did not grow up in a hunting family and introduced myself to it when I was about 25 years old. Over the last several years it has become an absolute obsession. I structure my whole life around hunting and being in the outdoors. I’m excited to learn from everyone and browsing through the forum; can see there’s a lot for me to learn here. I have shot a couple bears, several black tails, and recently shot my first mule deer and Rocky Mountain elk last year in idaho. I haven’t shot anything of great size yet but as I dive deeper and deeper into this I realize my focus is starting to shift from simply filling tags to finding older mature animals. Currently I’m archery hunting Roosevelt elk on the oregon coast and have a rifle elk hunt and whitetail hunt this fall in idaho. I also have an Utah general mule deer tag which I’m not sure I’ll be able to hunt due to work commitments. Anyway I look forwards to contributing on here and learning from others on here as most people have more experience than me and I’m always trying to learn.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie

Welcome aboard! 🦌
If you would care to post up a do it yourself tutorial on elk, it would be greatly appreciated. :)
EDIT: also if you could rank the animals you've shot for flavor....

Last edited:
OP
C
I think elk is my favorite. Followed by blacktail deer, then mule deer, then black bear. I love it all though.
Welcome aboard! 🦌
If you would care to post up a do it yourself tutorial on elk, it would be greatly appreciated. :)
EDIT: also if you could rank the animals you've shot for flavor.

duckhuntr

FNG
Welcome, where are you located on the Coast? I'm getting ready to move to the coast in October.

OP
C
Welcome, where are you located on the Coast? I'm getting ready to move to the coast in October.
I live outside of Portland now but my family has a small cabin out in Nehalem. I lived out there for five years when I was a fishing guide before I switched careers. You will love it out there. I love my new job but it doesn’t allow me to live at the coast and I really miss that.

duckhuntr

FNG
I live outside of Portland now but my family has a small cabin out in Nehalem. I lived out there for five years when I was a fishing guide before I switched careers. You will love it out there. I love my new job but it doesn’t allow me to live at the coast and I really miss that.
Yeah I'm excited to get over there, we bought a place on the Miami River just south Nehalem. I've been hunting/fishing my whole life, but this is such a unique region it will probably have a big learning curve. PM me if you are ever over that way and want to meet up.

I am also in Oregon (Southern Oregon)!
I, too, didn't grow up in a hunting family and have been figuring it out over the past few years!
Good Luck!