Stranded after fly-in hunt prior to winter…

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
LOL!
Probably not the BEST survival story, but humorous nonetheless the less.
In late July of 2012, four of us flew in to Kodiak for a 3 day deep sea fishing trip!
We had a blast! ....until it came time to fly out!
We flew to Kodiak Island on Thursday. We were supposed to leave the following Tuesday.
It was cloudy, rainy and a bit foggy when we got to the airport.
Flight delayed.
Flight delayed.
Flight canceled due to fog!
This scenario continued until the following Monday when we were FINALLY able to fly out!
While six extra days at the Best Western motel on Kodiak Island, AK wasn't particularly dangerous, room and board got a tad stressful!!!!!! LOL!

True story few know about!

During WWII, Japanese invasion ships arrived off the coast of Kodiak Island, AK with the intention of taking the island.
None of the Japanese military leaders had any information on American troop strengths, armaments or locations. The Island was socked in with fog.
The fog continued for 12 days. The military officers finally told the Naval officers that their men were running horribly short on food and supplies and if ANY of them were to survive, they had to either return to Japan or invade. They chose to return to Japan.
The day after sailing, the fog cleared. There were only about 1500 poorly armed US troops on the island!

TaperPin

WKR
LOL!
Probably not the BEST survival story, but humorous nonetheless the less.
In late July of 2012, four of us flew in to Kodiak for a 3 day deep sea fishing trip!
We had a blast! ....until it came time to fly out!
We flew to Kodiak Island on Thursday. We were supposed to leave the following Tuesday.
It was cloudy, rainy and a bit foggy when we got to the airport.
Flight delayed.
Flight delayed.
Flight canceled due to fog!
This scenario continued until the following Monday when we were FINALLY able to fly out!
While six extra days at the Best Western motel on Kodiak Island, AK wasn't particularly dangerous, room and board got a tad stressful!!!!!! LOL!

True story few know about!

During WWII, Japanese invasion ships arrived off the coast of Kodiak Island, AK with the intention of taking the island.
None of the Japanese military leaders had any information on American troop strengths, armaments or locations. The Island was socked in with fog.
The fog continued for 12 days. The military officers finally told the Naval officers that their men were running horribly short on food and supplies and if ANY of them were to survive, they had to either return to Japan or invade. They chose to return to Japan.
The day after sailing, the fog cleared. There were only about 1500 poorly armed US troops on the island!
That’s quite the big moose on the wall there at the best western!

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
Heard a story of a rebel soldier who lost both legs on battle. He finally made it back home, but it took him 6 years!
That’s quite the big moose on the wall there at the best western!
Yes it is. ....and the brown bear downstairs ain't no slouch!

The group that plays in the lounge on Saturday nights call themselves the "Moosehead Band". ....or used to!

z987k

WKR
So I was laying in bed last night with my second round of Covid and I got to thinking about my recent trip to Alaska. We flew in and were dropped off in early Sept. I got to thinking, what in the world would we do if all backup extraction plans failed, communication wasn’t answered, batteries dead, etc.

With two people, a tent, September-time gear, and packed-in supplies running short… I couldn’t help but put the odds of survival until spring at about 0.0%, give or take 0% here or there. We would certainly try, but I just can’t come up with a scenario in which it works. Especially in tundra line we were in. There’s just not enough time or material to make any kind of structure or procure adequate food and heat supply.

Curios what others think.
You take out your inreach and text your transporter. Failing that you hit the SOS button on it and the ANG or Coasties pick you up next time the wx is nice enough to do so. Week or so tops, but possibly only an hour or two away. Which they will tell you as you talk to them via text. This is a scenario that only exists if you try to make it happen. Unless you have a life threatening injury or health condition that needs medical attention right now, the chances of survival are near 100%. The only way you're not surviving is if you wouldn't have survived the hunt itself because you went out there with nothing but a pocket knife and shorts and a tee-shirt.

TaperPin

WKR
Heard a story of a rebel soldier who lost both legs on battle. He finally made it back home, but it took him 6 years!

Yes it is. ....and the brown bear downstairs ain't no slouch!

The group that plays in the lounge on Saturday nights call themselves the "Moosehead Band". ....or used to!
Nice! Lol
The stories from the area are priceless.