Stone glacier vs Exo mountain

tenth1

Lil-Rokslider
Stone Glacier

As clean and durable a pack can get: day to week trip hauling meat. The only way to get better is to include multiple packs

And one of the most important parts about buying quality gear is customer service. Kurt is over and above, it astounds me that he can keep it all straight.

Pockets.... Naw, between small, cheap dry bags and sandwich bags, what else do you really need? I live out of the pack at least a month out of the year

Admittedly biased because I don't have the time with the Exo

Colo4x4XJ

Lil-Rokslider
One more for Stone Glacier but I've also never used Exo. i have a curvy back and the 3 pc hip belt works like a dream. The Solo and a few lightweight ditty/dry bags keep everything organized and in its proper place.

LJ Buck

WKR
I love my SKY 5100. Not sure i would trade it for any other pack. Maybe the new Archer

ndflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
Like already stated several times. Both are good packs. I have had both. Like already stated, the customer service edge definately goes to Stone Glacier. I have had the Solo and packed out elk with it and it did amazing. I currently have an EXO and packed out a bull with it last year and it was fine also. The big edge to me is the huge difference in service. Both packs are great but if you need something Kurt is right there for you, where with EXO it will take you a year to get anywhere with them, and then you get pissed and finally give up like in my case. Maybe that's their plan! I have one of the very first EXO packs and the straps are turning white. Lenny called me a promised me a new pack, ah that was last August, I have faithfully called every month and got a different story every time. Everything from It will be at your house when you get back from September elk hunting just send us your old pack back. Octobers answer is were out of packs right now call in November, Novembers answer was we have your name we will get one in the mail to you don't worry. Decembers answer is were still out we will call you as soon as we get them in. Well this is February guys and I still have a EXO with brown straps turning white. So I think I am personally going back to a Stone Glacier. Sorry for the rant guys. Anybody wanna buy an exo? I think I might have one for sale!:D

What size?? I've been waiting for a 3500 since October.... Supposed to get it sometime this month lol.

WestDan

Lil-Rokslider
another for stone glacier over here. kurt runs a great company. he works hard to make sure your pack is right for you, which is nice to see especially when you are spending that much money.

No experience wit Stone Glacier but I did get an Exo pack and I don't have any complaints about Steve's level of communication it was always quick and on point.I asked allot of questions!
Tim

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, I have both and I like them both. Couple of comments here on customer service and I have had EXCELLENT service with both companies and would highly recommend both packs. And both owners are great guys and hunters as well.
I tend to use my EXO more and it fits me better. I also like the EXO bag better with the side pockets and the front pocket. Packed out a bunch of animals last year and it worked flawlessly.

Randy

twall13

WKR
I don't have experience with either bag YET, but I do have an EXO 3500 on order. I sent 5 emails to Steve at Exo and every one of them was responded to within 20 minutes of when I hit the send button. Personally I'm pretty impressed with that level of customer service. I have no doubt, as others have said, that the customer service for SG is also top notch and SG certainly has the edge when it comes to supply chain management. I'm hoping Exo Mountain can get their supply chain under control this year but time will tell. My current order isn't set to ship for another month and a half. Just my two cents...

charvey9

WKR
I have never owned the EXO, but love my SG pack. If you purchased a solo, the frame is compatible with any of their other bags so you would have the option of going bigger in the future.

No experience wit Stone Glacier but I did get an Exo pack and I don't have any complaints about Steve's level of communication it was always quick and on point.I asked allot of questions!
Tim

i have to agree with this. steve has always answered his phone and helped with any questions i have had. great customer service.

Outwest

WKR
I agree with others, every time I had questions when I had my exo, Steve was there to pick up the phone or answer an email. Same with Kurt at SG. Both companies have awesome customer service.

SDHNTR

WKR
My experience with Exo is that if you send an email directly, and/or call, you will get a prompt response. If you contact them via the website, it's gonna take a while.

Last year was a pretty crazy year for Lenny and I being our first year in business with Exo, we definitely had an extremely steep learning curve with manufacturing a pack in the USA. Looking back there are a lot of things we would have done differently; for example it would have been a lot easier just to do one color option the first year and keep things simple. We decided to do 3 and that just compounded the problems of packs on backorder. Unfortunately there are some things you just have to guess at and you're not always going to be right with no past history to go off of.

There were definitely times that we could not provide the customer service that we wanted too and we apologize to anyone that affected. Exo is a very small company its just Lenny and I and we both have full time jobs outside of it. I can't count how many nights last year Lenny and I would be in his living room with our wives assembling packs late into the night so we could ship them the next day. Both of us are extremely passionate about packs and we are working every spare second we can; putting every dime back into the company so we can keep up and help it grow.

We have been taking a lot of steps the last few months and with the lesson's learned from last year, 2015 should be great for us. We are really excited to announce the 2015 pack here in a few weeks. Our pre-order list has been growing rapidly but we anticipate by late March to be through that and shipping on a daily basis.

If anyone has any questions the best way to get a hold of me is typically email ([email protected]) or by my cell which is 208-941-9899.

Sorry to write a long post, Stone Glacier makes an excellent product and I really respect what they have done. I haven't had the pleasure to meet or talk with Kurt but from everything I have heard is a great guy.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Here's a video of my SG Sky 5100 in the 3500 mode. I made modifications to fit my needs here Hawaii.

[video=youtube_share;1roswmd3Hvo]http://youtu.be/1roswmd3Hvo[/video]

Last edited:

Kotaman

WKR
I would own yet another pack if SG came with a lid for the Solo. Owned one and got rid of it due to a lack of a lid. Loved the pack otherwise. Also own a Exo 3500 and it is a nice pack as well.

n2horns

WKR
I like a few extra pockets on the outside/inside to store some things without digging to the bottom. Price = EXO, weight = SG. Designs are very similar but also different.

Jay124

FNG
I will say this EXO makes a bag that allows me (a father of four, with one income) to afford a very nice pack with all the bells and whistles. I have the 5500 and it is a great pack. I had a TON of questions and each and every one was handled in a timely manner and I wasn't treated like an idiot because I was simply asking questions.

MLHSN

Lil-Rokslider
Last year was a pretty crazy year for Lenny and I being our first year in business with Exo, we definitely had an extremely steep learning curve with manufacturing a pack in the USA. Looking back there are a lot of things we would have done differently; for example it would have been a lot easier just to do one color option the first year and keep things simple. We decided to do 3 and that just compounded the problems of packs on backorder. Unfortunately there are some things you just have to guess at and you're not always going to be right with no past history to go off of.

There were definitely times that we could not provide the customer service that we wanted too and we apologize to anyone that affected. Exo is a very small company its just Lenny and I and we both have full time jobs outside of it. I can't count how many nights last year Lenny and I would be in his living room with our wives assembling packs late into the night so we could ship them the next day. Both of us are extremely passionate about packs and we are working every spare second we can; putting every dime back into the company so we can keep up and help it grow.

We have been taking a lot of steps the last few months and with the lesson's learned from last year, 2015 should be great for us. We are really excited to announce the 2015 pack here in a few weeks. Our pre-order list has been growing rapidly but we anticipate by late March to be through that and shipping on a daily basis.

If anyone has any questions the best way to get a hold of me is typically email ([email protected]) or by my cell which is 208-941-9899.

Sorry to write a long post, Stone Glacier makes an excellent product and I really respect what they have done. I haven't had the pleasure to meet or talk with Kurt but from everything I have heard is a great guy.

Thanks,
Steve

Very stand up response, Steve. One I can respect. As a CPA, I've had the chance to work with a few companies starting up, and it never goes glitch free. The fact you have to maximize production to try and keep up with demand is a testimony to the fact you did something right with the pack.

I ordered a 5500 last week and can't wait to test it out. Steve was very quick to answer all my e-mail questions as they came up.

My next highest gear purchase (Apart from bow and rifle) was a $150 GoLite down bag I picked up on clearance a couple years ago. To say I'm somewhat frugal and thrifty with my gear purchases is an understatement. Picking a new pack was not a choice easily made. Until now, I've suffered through an old external frame with a bag my wife and I sewed together. We made our own tarptent and most of the rest of my gear was purchased used on ebay or classifieds.

Here are the reasons that made me finally jump on a new Exo Mountain pack.

The pocket arrangements: it appeared that everything is exactly where I wanted it. The side long pockets looked perfect for storing my fly rod case or a second thin sleeping pad for winter camping. The front stretch pocket was perfect for shedding layers. It's kind of a hassle when starting a hike in the cold, to undue the lid and loosen compression straps every time you need to shed a layer as you warm up, or to be able to throw it back on quickly once you stop.

The weight savings is great. I purchased a used Mystery Ranch and immediately resold it. I just couldn't bite off the additional 4 pounds over the old setup I already have.

The price is very competitive compared to other competing packs. If I bought a stone glacier, I would have to buy several accessory pouches for the same number of functional pockets, and that would raise the cost quite a bit above the Exo.

I look forward to receiving the 5500 in the mail and can't wait to start testing it out on some fishing/scouting backcountry adventures this spring/summer.

Best of luck to Steve and Lenny on future expansion,

Mark

hunt_or_bust

Lil-Rokslider
I would own yet another pack if SG came with a lid for the Solo. Owned one and got rid of it due to a lack of a lid. Loved the pack otherwise. Also own a Exo 3500 and it is a nice pack as well.
Kurt is releasing a hood for the solo this year I believe.

On another note, wouldnt kuiu be a better comparison for an Exo pack?