Stone glacier vs Exo mountain

I am kinda in the same spot here. I want a sky archer 6200 or the exo 5500. They only think that scares me about the SG is the amount of straps look a little overwhelming in some of the videos. Also I have heard price mentioned a few times but i believe both packs are with in 25 dollars of each other with hip pockets for both added.

I ordered an Exo last night but just might order the SG too.

Edit: I did order in multi cam which increases price.

Also steve will hip pockets be available in MC?

Last edited:
They only think that scares me about the SG is the amount of straps look a little overwhelming in some of the videos.

From my experience the straps are a HUGE asset on the SG packs. I've owned and/or packed with most of the best packs (until I got my SG a couple years ago) and feel that the SG straps provide the best factory compression out there. I recently ordered the two different accessory strap sets from SG and I'm not sure why, as I haven't had need or want for them yet.

From my experience the straps are a HUGE asset on the SG packs. I've owned and/or packed with most of the best packs (until I got my SG a couple years ago) and feel that the SG straps provide the best factory compression out there. I recently ordered the two different accessory strap sets from SG and I'm not sure why, as I haven't had need or want for them yet.
Which SG bag do you have?

I have an archer 6200 and when compressed the straps can look a little much, but they can be tucked in for a cleaner look. I tuck them in just so they don't snag on anything. I would have preferred the archer to be a 5000 cubic inch pack, but it is what it is.

I have an archer 6200 and when compressed the straps can look a little much, but they can be tucked in for a cleaner look. I tuck them in just so they don't snag on anything. I would have preferred the archer to be a 5000 cubic inch pack, but it is what it is.
What would you rate the sky archer pack?

What would you rate the sky archer pack?
I'm not a good one to ask. My only other packs have been old eberlestocks and similar types and one kuiu. I wouldn't put the eberlestocks and others in same class as an SG or Kuiu. But I don't have enough experience with many packs to give a good review.

The kuiu was a 2011 model. It didn't haul heavy loads (80+ lbs) well but the pack was very good in overall quality. Comfortable and compressible. Never had any issues with zippers or buckles. For me, there may have been a few too many pockets.

The SG archer seems more of a no frills pack, more customizable, more durable buckles and zippers, fabric seems a little tougher and overall lighter. It seems more like a workhorse than the kuiu. I like the bigger buckles and thicker compression straps. I think the kuiu sewing looked nicer but I feel like the SG sewing will hold up better. Same with the fabric for both respectively. Haven't hauled any heavy loads in the archer yet but the frame does feel alot sturdier than the old kuiu frame. Aside from wishing the archer was about a 1000 cubic inches smaller, it seems like exactly the type of pack I'm looking for. I love the idea of the swing out pockets too.

I have no experience with the icon pro but have heard many good things about it. Judging by what people are saying I think kuiu is really figuring out their pack line despite what many might say on this forum.

I have had some CS experience with s and s, not regarding packs but with solid broadheads. Left a couple voicemails and believe I sent an email or two and never heard a response over a couple months. They lost me right then and there. I know some have said different but that was my own experience and now it might be quite a while before I give solid BHs or exo packs a chance.

Hope this helps.

Which SG bag do you have?

Approach, Solo, and Sky 7400. I like all three a lot and that bag stable has me covered for nearly any scenario. The Archer looks interesting thought.

On a side note, I saw Steve and the 2015 Exo tonight. The pack looks nice. I didn't feel the need to try it on with weight in it after my experiences with SG and the 1/2 dozen plus animals I've been fortunate enough to pack out with SG.

I'm not a good one to ask. My only other packs have been old eberlestocks and similar types and one kuiu. I wouldn't put the eberlestocks and others in same class as an SG or Kuiu. But I don't have enough experience with many packs to give a good review.

The kuiu was a 2011 model. It didn't haul heavy loads (80+ lbs) well but the pack was very good in overall quality. Comfortable and compressible. Never had any issues with zippers or buckles. For me, there may have been a few too many pockets.

The SG archer seems more of a no frills pack, more customizable, more durable buckles and zippers, fabric seems a little tougher and overall lighter. It seems more like a workhorse than the kuiu. I like the bigger buckles and thicker compression straps. I think the kuiu sewing looked nicer but I feel like the SG sewing will hold up better. Same with the fabric for both respectively. Haven't hauled any heavy loads in the archer yet but the frame does feel alot sturdier than the old kuiu frame. Aside from wishing the archer was about a 1000 cubic inches smaller, it seems like exactly the type of pack I'm looking for. I love the idea of the swing out pockets too.

I have no experience with the icon pro but have heard many good things about it. Judging by what people are saying I think kuiu is really figuring out their pack line despite what many might say on this forum.

I have had some CS experience with s and s, not regarding packs but with solid broadheads. Left a couple voicemails and believe I sent an email or two and never heard a response over a couple months. They lost me right then and there. I know some have said different but that was my own experience and now it might be quite a while before I give solid BHs or exo packs a chance.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info, I may just have buy them both.

Approach, Solo, and Sky 7400. I like all three a lot and that bag stable has me covered for nearly any scenario. The Archer looks interesting thought.

On a side note, I saw Steve and the 2015 Exo tonight. The pack looks nice. I didn't feel the need to try it on with weight in it after my experiences with SG and the 1/2 dozen plus animals I've been fortunate enough to pack out with SG.

I like the idea of the archer a lot plus I definitely like the swing out pockets in concept anyways. Thanks for the info. Any thoughts on the exo?

I like the idea of the archer a lot plus I definitely like the swing out pockets in concept anyways. Thanks for the info. Any thoughts on the exo?

The Exo looked well constructed and had thought out features like bottom compression straps that don't compress your water bottle on the side, making it unusable. Shoulder straps are now attached via velcro, instead of directly to the titanium frame. Obviously I have no idea on real life durability. The Exo will have a velcro strip just inside the side zip that will give you similar function to the swing out pockets, probably more flexibility if a full line of pockets are available. If I were in the market I would be considering the Exo.

I still feel the SG has the better straps though. I know my current pack can handle as much as I can safely carry and has proven it's self many times to me. The SG straps lock down the load and you have separate compression adjustments between bag and frame and only bag. Last November three of us. Two men and a tough 15 yr old packed out in one trip a bull elk with full head, rack (5 point) and 1/2 cape in one trip. Three different common hunting packs were involved. Of the three the SG was bullet proof. One pack provided no shoulder lift but hauled a heck of a load. Another fairly new pack had lift but needed more straps and the bag actually tore in the packout. It also appeared the belt was deforming under the monster load. To be 100% fair this pack had the heaviest and most akward load and it was the user first monster load with the new pack. So it wasn't nearly as dialed in for fit as my pack and needed accessory straps for proper function. The torn pack bag was quickly cross-shipped and replaced without issue. In January 2015 a typical sized cow was packed out in one trip between the replaced four letter pack my SG and a school bag style hunting pack. The four letter and the SG both performed well. IMO once again the SG straps worked better than the other packs straps did. I felt bad for the school bag fellow. He is a tough dude for sure!

I know this more than you asked for. My advice is find a pack that fits your body and provides proper shoulder lift under HEAVY load. Lashing and compression can always be supplimented with para cord if needed. Shouldn't really be neccessary with most of the modern top line packs though.

For full disclosure, my Stone Glacier pack has had a couple of changes moved from the one piece belt with and without lumbar pad to a three piece belt and had gen 1 hip pulls replaced with fully functional gen 3 pulls. In each instance Kurt went way above and beyond expectation to make the pack be 100% for me.

The Exo looked well constructed and had thought out features like bottom compression straps that don't compress your water bottle on the side, making it unusable. Shoulder straps are now attached via velcro, instead of directly to the titanium frame. Obviously I have no idea on real life durability. The Exo will have a velcro strip just inside the side zip that will give you similar function to the swing out pockets, probably more flexibility if a full line of pockets are available. If I were in the market I would be considering the Exo.

I still feel the SG has the better straps though. I know my current pack can handle as much as I can safely carry and has proven it's self many times to me. The SG straps lock down the load and you have separate compression adjustments between bag and frame and only bag. Last November three of us. Two men and a tough 15 yr old packed out in one trip a bull elk with full head, rack (5 point) and 1/2 cape in one trip. Three different common hunting packs were involved. Of the three the SG was bullet proof. One pack provided no shoulder lift but hauled a heck of a load. Another fairly new pack had lift but needed more straps and the bag actually tore in the packout. It also appeared the belt was deforming under the monster load. To be 100% fair this pack had the heaviest and most akward load and it was the user first monster load with the new pack. So it wasn't nearly as dialed in for fit as my pack and needed accessory straps for proper function. The torn pack bag was quickly cross-shipped and replaced without issue. In January 2015 a typical sized cow was packed out in one trip between the replaced four letter pack my SG and a school bag style hunting pack. The four letter and the SG both performed well. IMO once again the SG straps worked better than the other packs straps did. I felt bad for the school bag fellow. He is a tough dude for sure!

I know this more than you asked for. My advice is find a pack that fits your body and provides proper shoulder lift under HEAVY load. Lashing and compression can always be supplimented with para cord if needed. Shouldn't really be neccessary with most of the modern top line packs though.

For full disclosure, my Stone Glacier pack has had a couple of changes moved from the one piece belt with and without lumbar pad to a three piece belt and had gen 1 hip pulls replaced with fully functional gen 3 pulls. In each instance Kurt went way above and beyond expectation to make the pack be 100% for me.

Wow!! Thanks for the time and effort to write that up. It obvious you are giving honest opinions without gratuitously bashing othere. Truly appreciate the info.

*they don't have any dang packs to try on down here in HI. I gotta buy them, ship them here, and go hunt the mountains here to see how they fit lol.

I am kinda in the same spot here. I want a sky archer 6200 or the exo 5500. They only think that scares me about the SG is the amount of straps look a little overwhelming in some of the videos. Also I have heard price mentioned a few times but i believe both packs are with in 25 dollars of each other with hip pockets for both added.

Yeah we actually have those done and ready to ship, just waiting on packs :)

I'm in the exact same boat. I had a 2014 Exo 3500 and loved it, but now I'm debating between a SG Sky Archer 6200 and a new 2015 Exo 3500/5500 combo.

I like that the Sky Archer can go huge for pretty much as long a trip as I would ever go on. I also like that you can remove the lid and use it in the smaller configuration. My main concern is how it will function in the 4000 sq in mode as a day pack? It looks great, and I know SG has an incredible reputation, but with the Sky Archer being so new there's not much feedback.

I know I like the Exo, but to get the same versatility of the Sky Archer I would need both the 3500 and 5500, adding some overall cost. I know, I know, i could compress the 5500 down as a day pack but I hate having a cavernous bag that is all bunched up when just out for a day or two. That why I sold my Kifaru T1.

Curious to hear what others are thinking between these 2 packs.

The beauty of it is that we have such incredible pack options. I know there is not a bad choice to be made, it's more a matter of picking the best set-up for the widest range of intended uses.

I'm in the exact same boat. I had a 2014 Exo 3500 and loved it, but now I'm debating between a SG Sky Archer 6200 and a new 2015 Exo 3500/5500 combo.

I like that the Sky Archer can go huge for pretty much as long a trip as I would ever go on. I also like that you can remove the lid and use it in the smaller configuration. My main concern is how it will function in the 4000 sq in mode as a day pack? It looks great, and I know SG has an incredible reputation, but with the Sky Archer being so new there's not much feedback.

I know I like the Exo, but to get the same versatility of the Sky Archer I would need both the 3500 and 5500, adding some overall cost. I know, I know, i could compress the 5500 down as a day pack but I hate having a cavernous bag that is all bunched up when just out for a day or two. That why I sold my Kifaru T1.

Curious to hear what others are thinking between these 2 packs.

The beauty of it is that we have such incredible pack options. I know there is not a bad choice to be made, it's more a matter of picking the best set-up for the widest range of intended uses.
I ordered the exo 5500. I opted for that route purely based off of organization. Seems like more pockets plus the added velcro system inside much like the swing out pockets in the SG. I will most likely give the glacier a try as well.

cant imagine even needing a exo 3500 over the 5500, even for a day pack. been using the 5500 since its first release. it gets small, yet will allow for more things, food etc if needed in the mtns. i carry camera gear and spotting scope, tri pod etc so the space is liked by myself. i use it for lots of day trips as well, and it serves me well enough to leave my 2lb cilo gear climbing pack at home when even just mountaineering. the exo has a great feel as far as its width and keeps you feeling mobile and free to scramble up steeps etc.... never used a SG but the kifaru's seemed to have to much of a frame feel to me. interested to see what frame they may come out with in the future, if any at all. that was my selling point, just did not work for me. really like the exo products. and yes have packed 100 pounds plus in it for many miles and vert, bloody weight at that., good luck.

cant imagine even needing a exo 3500 over the 5500, even for a day pack. been using the 5500 since its first release. it gets small, yet will allow for more things, food etc if needed in the mtns. i carry camera gear and spotting scope, tri pod etc so the space is liked by myself. i use it for lots of day trips as well, and it serves me well enough to leave my 2lb cilo gear climbing pack at home when even just mountaineering. the exo has a great feel as far as its width and keeps you feeling mobile and free to scramble up steeps etc.... never used a SG but the kifaru's seemed to have to much of a frame feel to me. interested to see what frame they may come out with in the future, if any at all. that was my selling point, just did not work for me. really like the exo products. and yes have packed 100 pounds plus in it for many miles and vert, bloody weight at that., good luck.

I appreciate the feedback.

So bottom line, you have no issues using the 5500 as a day pack, and like it enough that it is still the pack you choose for short outings?

I appreciate the feedback.

So bottom line, you have no issues using the 5500 as a day pack, and like it enough that it is still the pack you choose for short outings?

no issues for a day pack for me. initially i figured i would buy the 3500 later just to have but in the end i really cant see needing one. the 5500 gets small if needed. since they use the same frame the weight of the bag would be the only difference, not any bulk to speak of when the 5500 has minimal things in it.

I'm with greyghostnw on the compatibility of the 5500. I'm personally very glad that I went with it over the 3500 as it's a more versatile pack for my uses. I came to Exo from a Kifaru T1 and the Exo is considerably smaller in day pack mode, and offers much greater freedom of motion with its frame design. I can't speak to the SG, but can't find any reason not to cinche the 5500 down for short duration trips.

The added bonus of the 5500 being cinched down is that I can still access all of the pockets, so I'm never decompressing the bag just to get some of my day pack gear out. It seems like the T1 required some decompression to get to my day pack gear, and it always felt more cumbersome than just having a smaller pack for shorter trips.

I'm with greyghostnw on the compatibility of the 5500. I'm personally very glad that I went with it over the 3500 as it's a more versatile pack for my uses. I came to Exo from a Kifaru T1 and the Exo is considerably smaller in day pack mode, and offers much greater freedom of motion with its frame design. I can't speak to the SG, but can't find any reason not to cinche the 5500 down for short duration trips.

The added bonus of the 5500 being cinched down is that I can still access all of the pockets, so I'm never decompressing the bag just to get some of my day pack gear out. It seems like the T1 required some decompression to get to my day pack gear, and it always felt more cumbersome than just having a smaller pack for shorter trips.

Thanks guys, appreciate the info. I'm still on the fence, but slightly leaning towards the 5500 based on your comments. I suppose the other option is to use the 3500 and just put excess gear in the load shelf if I'm going out for a longer trip?

Yep, that's my thought as well, stick the extra in a duffel and strap it in between the frame an bag. Though it may make, potentially, an additional trip on pack out.

I figure I'll try it this way first, if it doesn't work acquire the bigger bag and use it to hunt and the smallerone for scouting and standard packpacking trips.

Yep, that's my thought as well, stick the extra in a duffel and strap it in between the frame an bag. Though it may make, potentially, an additional trip on pack out.

I figure I'll try it this way first, if it doesn't work acquire the bigger bag and use it to hunt and the smallerone for scouting and standard packpacking trips.

an xtra duffel bag? sounds heavy..... trial and error will lead the way to your decisions.... not a good way to go imop but thats just it.... an opinion. everyone has there own and what works for some will not for others. in the end it is whatever allows you to feel at best for your goals.... best of luck and have much success in 2015.

Back