Stone Glacier Sky 5900 vs kuiu pro 6000

Dzeek

FNG
Going on a 8-9 day pack in hunt in Idaho in October. Targeting elk and mule deer. First western hunt and will be with one buddy. We will be in the salmon zone, more specifically around the 36b/28 area if the terrain makes a difference. Im very interested in these two packs, im hoping to try the Kuiu out at the harrisburg pa outdoor show. I dont believe stone glacier will be there. From what ive read this are two highly rated packs, my question is for those that have used both do you prefer either? Is the size enough for the length of our hunt? Thanks for any help you can give.

Turkeyfreak12

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly I would go with what fits you best. They are both solid. I prefer Stone Glacier with the Xcurve frame and it works amazing for me. My hunting partner runs his Kuiu and loves it and will stay with that. I have tried his out and I liked it but wouldnt trade the perfect fit I get from the SG frame.

OP
Dzeek

Dzeek

FNG
I appreciate the input. Unfortunately there is nowhere near me that carries stone glacier packs. I like the layout of the kuiu, sounds like if its comfy i may go that route.

I sold a kuiu 6000 to get an xcurve with 5900.
It was an older kuiu frame so new ones may be better but the SG was a significant upgrade when packing meat comfort wise.
When day hunting or even just backpacking difference was less noticeable.

OP
Dzeek

Dzeek

FNG
I sold a kuiu 6000 to get an xcurve with 5900.
It was an older kuiu frame so new ones may be better but the SG was a significant upgrade when packing meat comfort wise.
When day hunting or even just backpacking difference was less noticeable.
Would you say the 5900 is large enough for a 8 day hunt? Or would i be better off getting the sky talus 6900?

I really like the horseshoe zipper on the 5900 and with the load shelf you can make an 8 and hunt easily.
If the horseshoe zipper doesn't turn you on get the bigger bag.
Loaded up 5900 here

Ram94

WKR
I’ve done 8 days sheep hunting in the 5900 without using the load shelf and nothing hanging off the pack except my rifle. Really depends on how you pack.

OP
Dzeek

Dzeek

FNG
Well i guess if i purchase the 5900 and i cant get it packed right i could sell and get a larger pack.
I’ve done 8 days sheep hunting in the 5900 without using the load shelf and nothing hanging off the pack except my rifle. Really depends on how you pack.

Turkeyfreak12

Lil-Rokslider
Theres a lot of youtube videos and articles on how to pack your pack. Sometimes you got to play around and figure out what works as well but you can get 8 days in that size for sure.

OP
Dzeek

Dzeek

FNG
Theres a lot of youtube videos and articles on how to pack your pack. Sometimes you got to play around and figure out what works as well but you can get 8 days in that size for sure.
Yea ive watched a few already. Thanks for the help.

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t quote me on this but I think SG has a pretty good return policy. You could order one, see how it fits you then return it if it doesn’t work out. Might do that after checking out the Kuiu in person. Just a thought.

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Elk and mulies, wolves if the opportunity presents itself.
Copy. The only reason I ask is because of the new Terminus backpack that Stone is coming out with. I think you'll be happy with either one of your picks. At the end of the day you need to go with the one that fits you best.

fatlander

WKR
SG has a 30 day return policy. Not sure about Kuiu.

If you and your gear are capable of an 8 day back pack hunt, you should be able to get 8 days out of either bag. However, it sounds like you don’t have a lot of back country experience by the questions you’re asking. 8 days is a long time. It’s even longer if you’ve hiked in 5 miles with a 65 pound pack to find no game.

If I was you, I’d break it up into a 3 separate, 3 day hunts.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kwa_bena

FNG
I appreciate the input. Unfortunately there is nowhere near me that carries stone glacier packs. I like the layout of the kuiu, sounds like if its comfy i may go that route.
Stone Glacier is direct to consumer so you can get it on their site

Usi05

WKR
I have a Kuiu set up but I am considering trying stone glacier. Haven’t had any issues with it but I have only tried one other pack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk