Stone glacier or Exo?

acridlon

WKR
I am primarily a day trip hunter so don't need to be able to haul more than a night maybe two's worth of gear at any time. I am upgrading to either the SG serac or the Exo 3500. I want a pack that is comfortable on the hunt as well as packing. I have not used either so any tips/advice will be appreciated. I hunt all the western species.
Thanks, Alan

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I'd look at the solo over the serac, your not paying a big weight penalty, and you've got extra space if needed. And if you want to go overnight, 1700 cubes is a tall order.

With regards to exo vs. SG, my advice would be buy them both if you can, play with them for a week, and send one back. I'd also consider that new MR frame and pintler bag, the trip zip is awesome, and the frame really moves with your body well.

tttoadman

WKR
I have never had an EXO. I have the SG Solo and the Terminus bag as well. Because many of the guys on this forum are packing more days, there is usually a reasonable amount of EXO 3500 here on the classifieds. You never see SG Solo on here, because they kick ass. Since it is too hard to decide, just think about the price issue.

I just got an older Exo 3500 bag and put it on my Kifaru frame and have been using it for training. It is a really nice day pack organization wise. The side pockets are nice as well as the zippers on the front allowing you to access the majority of the pack. My only real complaints have been addressed in the 2015 model, which are the holes at the top of the stays being too small and the lid is now floating because it is hard to get it to sit right on the old model. The compression design was well done and it can be compressed down to nothing. The stretchy pockets are super nice, but the material gets dirty easily.

the serac is pretty small at 1700 ci so if you want your bag to pull overnight duty you'll probably need to put your camp stuff in a dry bag and run it in the load shelf. the solo would be more comparable to the exo 3500.

Your at two different extremes with those two packs. 1700 vs a conservative 3500. I he Serac is a very nice little day pack. The Exo is an Awesome 3-5 day pack.

i cannot comment on the Stone Glacier as I've never seen one. I do have a EXO 3500 and it is a very nice pack. That said I do a lot of day trips myself and I'm either going to get the new smaller pack from EXO or the new Pintler from Mystery Ranch. The archery shop I go to just got in a Pintler and man is that little bag sweet! Check it out, I'm sure that is the way I'll end up going in the end.

SDHNTR

WKR
I have both. Bought both with the intent of putting them thru their paces and then unloading the one I didn't want to keep. At first, on the SG, fit for me was an issue with a 34" waist, but Kurt worked with me and custom made me a belt that fit. I like how the SG moves with you better. That's important for me because I day hunt in brushy country often. Yet I like the additional pockets and organizational elements of the Exo. I also like the wider belt of the Exo. That said, my Exo squeaks some and that's annoying. The load sling is easier to use on the SG. Customer service is better, the best really, with SG. Both great choices.

I may fire sale my Exo 3500 here shortly. Let me know if interested.

I have both. Bought both with the intent of putting them thru their paces and then unloading the one I didn't want to keep. At first, on the SG, fit for me was an issue with a 34" waist, but Kurt worked with me and custom made me a belt that fit. I like how the SG moves with you better. That's important for me because I day hunt in brushy country often. Yet I like the additional pockets and organizational elements of the Exo. I also like the wider belt of the Exo. That said, my Exo squeaks some and that's annoying. The load sling is easier to use on the SG. Customer service is better, the best really, with SG. Both great choices.

I may fire sale my Exo 3500 here shortly. Let me know if interested.

The Exo moves with the body incredibly well. Like no other pack.

twall13

WKR
As much as I love my Exo 3500, if I were to do things over I'd probably buy the new Exo day pack and the Exo 5500. For day trips the new day pack looks awesome and still has the frame and capability to haul out the first load of meat. For anything more than an overnight trip the 5500 compresses down nice enough but can expand to hold enough gear/food for a 10 day trip if needed. Having both bags with one frame would have been ideal for me. I have a tough time parting with the 3500 though as it is a great pack for 90% of what I do.

To your original question, those were the two brands I narrowed it down to originally as well. I went with Exo mostly because it had just the right amount of organization for me and the way I hunt/pack. The SG's are a bit more minimalist, which works for some, but didn't fit my packing style quite as well. I really don't think you can go wrong with either brand so it comes down to personal preference on the bag layouts and possibly the fit but that's a tough one to know unless you try them both.

OP
A

acridlon

WKR
Thanks for all the info guys! I have purchased both and will let you know how it goes. Alan

ljalberta

WKR
I'm looking forward to your update. I was planning on doing the same, but may not be able to swing ordering both due to our rough Canadian dollar. I don't know if I could stomach paying the exchange rate for shipping and taxes on both packs.

msummer88

FNG
The Stone Glacier packs are definitely a minimalist pack (which I love). I'm very impressed with the overall quality and weight of their packs. I have the Sky 7400 and couldn't be happier. I'll second their great customer service as well.

OP
A

acridlon

WKR
FYI I just sold the serac and Exo 3500 and upgraded to a SG solo with all the fixings. Will update when it arrives.

sr80

WKR
Used to have a SG solo, and used it for day trips and weekend trips. That was a great bag, definetly worth taking a look at . Cinches down to nothing for day use. Never seen an exo before so I cant comment.

gwm

FNG
I am also primarily a day trip hunter and last summer purchased a SG SKY 5100 and absolutely love it. It packs down to next to nothing and holds everything I need if going on a multiple night hunt.

280AI

FNG
I just got the approach from SG. I really appreciate the spotting scope pocket and the tripod straps. I also purchased the dry bag so I can expand the size for a few days if I want. Everything about the frame and pack is extremely well thought out, and it is also light weight. I also like the meat shelf!

Solo86

FNG
Last year I purchased the KUIU Icon Pro 5200 and did 2-1 week elk hunts with it. I packed gear in and meat out and couldn't be happier compared to my Eberlestock Just One. All 4 of us in the group had KUIU packs, 1 guy has a pack fetish and purchased a Kifaru something, KUIU Icon Pro 5200, and now got the EXO something. He said each has their own specialties, the Kifaru was 3rd, KUIU was 2nd and he thinks the EXO is 1st, but has not used it hunting yet. I got the load sling as an add on so I can drop my pack and carry meat, which I did and worked great. How does the KUIU compare to EXO or Stone Glacier. I remember research both of these pack when I was looking and kept coming back to KUIU. I would like to know what pack could be better?

twall13

WKR
Last year I purchased the KUIU Icon Pro 5200 and did 2-1 week elk hunts with it. I packed gear in and meat out and couldn't be happier compared to my Eberlestock Just One. All 4 of us in the group had KUIU packs, 1 guy has a pack fetish and purchased a Kifaru something, KUIU Icon Pro 5200, and now got the EXO something. He said each has their own specialties, the Kifaru was 3rd, KUIU was 2nd and he thinks the EXO is 1st, but has not used it hunting yet. I got the load sling as an add on so I can drop my pack and carry meat, which I did and worked great. How does the KUIU compare to EXO or Stone Glacier. I remember research both of these pack when I was looking and kept coming back to KUIU. I would like to know what pack could be better?

I don't have any experience with the Kuiu packs but the general consensus from what I read on here is that they are great until you start getting 80+ lbs of weight in them. At that point they aren't as comfortable as some of the other top end packs like Kifaru, Exo, SG, etc. A lot of guys also worry about the carbon fiber frames breaking in the field. I've heard a lot of guys really like the pocket layout of the Kuiu packs though. Again, no experience with Kuiu packs here, it's just what I've read about them.

Solo86

FNG
I carried 100+ lbs with it once for sure because I weighed it when I got home from deer hunting and then other times at about 80 I'm guessing when hauling camp in out elk hunting. I feel that the frame can withstand that weight. In this video they drive a truck onto the frame
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoPBlrqTbbY
I am curious to compare it to the EXO which I think are nice packs, I just have never looked at them in person. But I do like all of the pockets on the KUIU.