EXO k4 or Stone Glacier?

vladkgb

FNG
No experience with a SG but I just got a k4 5k after running a mystery ranch Beartooth 80 for 3 seasons. Huge difference! It's much quieter, the lumbar pad fits perfect keeping the hip belt from sliding down when loaded with heavy weight. I also like Exo being a smaller US based company and Steve has been awesome on podcasts, and with his YouTube videos about the bag.

The MR bag always slid down and had no lumbar pad. No matter how much I tightened the narrow flimsy belt on the MR they would bend, making the bag sag and sit on my shoulders over time. After packing out last year's bull, my traps were really sore, and my hips had blood blisters, that's when I decided to get into a different bag. K4 has those wide hip belts and the lumbar pad that doesn't let the bag slide down, and it sits just right for me. The MR bag was also incredibly noisy compared to the k4.

fatlander

WKR
What is so greatly superior in build quality in the EXO over SG?

The exo k4 frames, bags, and accessories are much better executed than anything stone glacier. I’ve put both through substantial paces and multiple hunting seasons.

Frame:

The foam wings on the hipbelt hug your iliac crest must better than the SG. The material that exo lines the portions of K4 straps and belt that contact the body is better than the mesh SG uses. The mesh pills really quickly, and it collects debris that is next to impossible to completely remove which can cause irritation. Lazer cut molle on the exo allows for not only the use of their accessories which are fantastically executed as well, but the use of any molle compatible accessory. You don’t get that with SG. The lumbar pad on the K4 is a huge improvement over the SG. Lastly, the SG frame would barrel a bit under heavy awkward loads, and when it barreled, the horizontal stay that was closer to the body would dig into my back causing an uncomfortable spot.

Bags:

The exo bags really toe the line of functionality while still being relatively light. Comparable SG bags are slightly lighter but they’re not nearly as functional. Exo bags have water bottle pockets that are actually functional and all have a little more organization built into the bag. SG bags are big holes. The lid on the exo doesn’t get floppy when bag is empty. The buckles exo uses are much better than SG. I broke multiple buckles on my SG, so many so I replaced them with kiffy buckles. Knock on wood, haven’t broken an exo buckle on a k3 or k4 yet.

Accessories:

The water bottle pocket on the exo k4 is the best, period. Kifaru’s is ok on their own frame and SG’s pretty much sucks. It puts the bottle at such an awkward position, it’s always in the way and it weighs the belt down. You can’t operate the SG belt pockets one handed. You can with the exo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
The buckles exo uses are much better than SG. I broke multiple buckles on my SG, so many so I replaced them with kiffy buckles. Knock on wood, haven’t broken an exo buckle on a k3 or k4 yet.

This is the kind of stuff I’m interested in.

EXO says they use YKK and Duraflex buckles. SG is using Duraflex. I see the buckles on my K4 are YKK. They do seem a bit beefier.

I actually have both K4 and R3 frames, but not multiple seasons of hard use of them. I think the K4 is extremely well polished, but I’m not sure I could say the build quality is far better than the R3. I’ve never sewn a pack up, so admittedly I’m the pupil here. Both frames seem exceptionally well executed to me.

I think there is a lot more to say about the pros and cons of each specific frame design, which to me is different than build quality.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have an SG, a Kifaru, a K4 and an initial ascent. Currently the Initial Ascent is my go to. Carries heavy very well. The K4 is a close second. The SG is light but honestly I've hardly ever used it. The Kifaru w/ duplex lite was my go to. Its bombproof. But as I said, I'm running the IA now. Only thing I don't like is the outermost pocket is very thin stretchy material that gets pin holes easily.

Ken