Stone glacier or Exo?

I carried 100+ lbs with it once for sure because I weighed it when I got home from deer hunting and then other times at about 80 I'm guessing when hauling camp in out elk hunting. I feel that the frame can withstand that weight. In this video they drive a truck onto the frame
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoPBlrqTbbY
I am curious to compare it to the EXO which I think are nice packs, I just have never looked at them in person. But I do like all of the pockets on the KUIU.

I have owned both a Kuiu and now own a Kifaru. I can tell you that there is a major difference in comfort at the higher weights. Also, with the Kuiu it was physically impossible to correctly adjust the shoulder straps for my build and my shoulders ended up being pulled backwards. Also, the thing that people don't understand is the failure modes of carbon fiber is way different than that of metal, wood and plastic. When the latter materials fail it is a complete failure. Carbon fiber (and other composites) on the other hand weaken and partially fail only to fail later when under minor stresses. For instance with the truck video, no it didn't break in the video because of the very nature of carbon fiber and how it fails. I guarantee had they put an 80lb pack on that frame after it would've broke within the first 20 minutes. I haven't seen the SG frame so I can't speak to how their design handles this (and I'd assume it does due to the lack of complaints), but the Kuiu frame has several areas that made me cringe as someone who has some experience in designing and testing composite structures and honestly it could be fixed with just a little bit of foam embedded in the frame. I had a buddy in college that made a sword out of CF and foam that was harder and sharper than most metals (the things aerospace engineers do in their free time).

twall13

WKR
I was referring more to the comfort when hauling heavy loads (as mentioned by COlineman78) than the breaking point although I seem to remember a member on here (maybe dotman?) had a photo of his Kuiu framed snapped in half. Regardless, when you watch that video even though the frame isn't breaking, it is flexing a ton. That much flex with a heavy load is going to lead to a lot less comfort for you hauling the weight. Regardless, if you are happy with it keep using it. Everyone has different needs and expectations for their gear, use what works for you, not what works for me.

mntnguide

WKR
My exo has performed great under heavy loads (100+)...most comfortable pack ive used. Hauled over half a cow out some really nasty country last November through trees and all sorts of stuff. .pack rode great for being just a hair over 130lbs..and nothing on my back or anything was sore from it the next day. Definitely even surprised me how well it handled such a heavy load and I could still move and flex when I needed to with the frame. Kifaru makes great packs, but I just never have owned one, but I will say my exo will handle anything and everything I can throw at it very comfortably.

I have owned both a Kuiu and now own a Kifaru. I can tell you that there is a major difference in comfort at the higher weights. Also, with the Kuiu it was physically impossible to correctly adjust the shoulder straps for my build and my shoulders ended up being pulled backwards. Also, the thing that people don't understand is the failure modes of carbon fiber is way different than that of metal, wood and plastic. When the latter materials fail it is a complete failure. Carbon fiber (and other composites) on the other hand weaken and partially fail only to fail later when under minor stresses. For instance with the truck video, no it didn't break in the video because of the very nature of carbon fiber and how it fails. I guarantee had they put an 80lb pack on that frame after it would've broke within the first 20 minutes. I haven't seen the SG frame so I can't speak to how their design handles this (and I'd assume it does due to the lack of complaints), but the Kuiu frame has several areas that made me cringe as someone who has some experience in designing and testing composite structures and honestly it could be fixed with just a little bit of foam embedded in the frame. I had a buddy in college that made a sword out of CF and foam that was harder and sharper than most metals (the things aerospace engineers do in their free time).
Ive never been a fan of a carbon frame or bow riser for this reason and the obvious impact issues.

With that said I'd try it if it was a sandwich structure using a structural foam, only thing that would give me still some hesitation is the frame might be to rigid

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sam23